Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougw1025

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
My brother is looking to buy a Mac Mini and saw a good deal on Ebay from someone who has a Mac Store. My concern is that since the Mac Mini on sale is being sold with 16GB Ram and an upgraded hard drive the unit may not be eligible under the Apple Warranty if the seller is not an Authorized reseller.

The site says the warranty will be in effect from Apple but I am not so sure about that. Any ideas?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My brother is looking to buy a Mac Mini and saw a good deal on Ebay from someone who has a Mac Store. My concern is that since the Mac Mini on sale is being sold with 16GB Ram and an upgraded hard drive the unit may not be eligible under the Apple Warranty if the seller is not an Authorized reseller.

The site says the warranty will be in effect from Apple but I am not so sure about that. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Apple warranty covers any Mac for one year from the original date of purchase from Apple. If you're buying a used Mac that was originally bought from Apple 2 months ago, there are only 10 months remaining on the Apple warranty.

It doesn't void warranty to upgrade the RAM, but it technically does if you upgrade the hard drive. Whether Apple would deny service because of that will vary, depending on which Apple rep handles it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.