Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
i got my ipad few days ago and today was the first time im charging it. when it was charging i noticed the white square charger gets really hot. i also have a macbook pro and the charger for that never gets that hot. is this normal? also, i bought a refurbished ipad if that makes a diff

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Sounds like the iPhone charger, does your charger have a removable "duck head"?
1277044348640_hz-cnmyalibaba-web2_28213.jpg

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
i got my ipad few days ago and today was the first time im charging it. when it was charging i noticed the white square charger gets really hot. i also have a macbook pro and the charger for that never gets that hot. is this normal? also, i bought a refurbished ipad if that makes a diff

The more power is drawn by the charging electronics, the hotter the charger gets. It _might_ be that the batteries draw more power when they are empty, or (worse) broken.

If you completely drain the battery (theoretically), the internal resistance is near zero when you start charging, meaning a lot of power flows to the device.

In short: I would only worry if it gets really hot when you start charging at 50% battery left.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
^thats the charger that i have

also, i started charging it when its 60%

JulianMcC

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
as the others have said, i'd say it is normal too, I just make sure the actual charger isn't covered by anything and is free to have room air sit around it. Mine sits on the carpet by my bed most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.