Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hello, guys.
Is it possible to get out internal Time Capsule HDD and restore Time Machine backups by connecting it via usb cable?
When I trying, the Migration Assistant doesn't see TM images. The same thing is when I starting from Recovery HD, but it says me that archive is parole-protected.
What am I doing wrong?

Thank You.

psychov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
When restoring on a new install choose TM restore not migration.

Sure, but I have this one
RDjG.png

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Time Machine backups on a Time Capsule are in the form of sparsebundles. Backups to a USB/FireWire drive are in a Backups.backupdb folder. If the Time Capsule itself is dead, but the drive works, then you will be unable to migrate from it, without possibly installing the drive into another Time Capsule and attempting the migration through there.

psychov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
If the Time Capsule itself is dead, but the drive works, then you will be unable to migrate from it, without possibly installing the drive into another Time Capsule and attempting the migration through there.

I can restore backup with new TC. Even not TC, I'm simply use AFP sharing on my Ubuntu server.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Perhaps you could clarify again what the end goal is? I was operating under the (incorrect, it seems) assumption from the title of the thread that you had data on a broken Time Capsule you were trying to restore/migrate to a computer running Lion. Is this what is going on? You also mentioned AFP and Ubuntu in this last post, do you not have a Time Capsule? Are you trying to migrate from a network share?

psychov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Perhaps you could clarify again what the end goal is? I was operating under the (incorrect, it seems) assumption from the title of the thread that you had data on a broken Time Capsule you were trying to restore/migrate to a computer running Lion. Is this what is going on? You also mentioned AFP and Ubuntu in this last post, do you not have a Time Capsule? Are you trying to migrate from a network share?

Yes, You you caught me :D
TC was named to simplify the situation. The final goal is to restore network Time Machine backup made with Ubuntu server via avahi/netatalk sharing - restore using USB cable, it's much more quick than Network, especially WiFi solution.

Thank You for any suggestions and sorry for my English.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Oh wow this is a lot more complex than it seemed at first glance. Unfortunately, this setup has far exceeded my knowledge on the subject matter, hopefully someone can help you further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.