Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
With the new updates putting the iBook much close to the Powerbook, asking this age old question is a must now.

The Powerbook still has several advantages in the speed department

1. Faster Processor (1.5GHz G4 vs 1.33GHz G4)
2. Faster Bus (167MHz vs 133MHz)
3. Faster Harddrive (5400RPM vs 4200)
4. More memory on GPU (64MB vs 32MB)
5. More outputs, calmshell mode, and screen spanning which I have now use for.

But the iBook has several things that are appealing too
1. The GPU is better http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/955055005200/index.htm. I know these are the regular computer versions but you get the idea. The FX 5200 256MB is trounced by the ATI Radeon with half the RAM 128MB. If you look at the shader department, the NVidia 5200 doesn't even have all of them. Also Accodrding to Apple the FX 5200 in the Powerbook doesn't even do the ripple effect buy itself, but gets help from the CPU.
2. They both use the same RAM (PC 2700 333MHz) but the iBook has the 512MB soldered on while the PB has 256MB soldered on and 256MB occupying the one and only RAM slot. So to do an upgrade you have to toss out perfectly good RAM which is very stupid on Apple's Part. Plus the iBook is now expandable to 1.5GB instead of 1.256GB like the Powerbook.

I am a student and the $500 price difference now seems very excessive since you are not getting a whole lot more computer for the money.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't think the iBooks will harm the PB sales more than a tiny bit. People still see the advantages and the different "look".

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Well, the student difference is only $450, but when you upgrade to the 60 gig its only about $400. ONLY!?!?!?!

I feel your pain I am wondering the same thing right now. If I didn't need a Superdrive I think I would go straight for the ibook

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
And people wanted a widescreen iBook... :rolleyes:

Most of what you said it true. It only means one thing: G5 PowerBooks next Tuesday!!! The rumor starts here!

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
I wanted the 12" PB but after the update and the switch to the ATI Radeon 9550 which is a better GPU then the NVidia 5200 and I don't game. For my purposes (Office, iTunes, Safari) I think that the iBook with 60GB harddrive will be my new friend this fall.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
AcousticDoc said:
How much battery life is realistic of the 12 inch powerbook?
I've gotten 3.5 hours wilst driving a 1280x1024 monitor off the battery (the monitor was plugged in), a mouse, and having my brightness all the way up. I have gotten anywhere from 4 to 5 hours wilst using it mobile...

I would still take the PowerBook over the iBook. Still want to give Apple a good yelling at for not having 512 MB of RAM built-in on the PowerBook 12 inch like they should have in the first place...

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
I think today's updates have pushed the iBook really friggin close to the 12PB.
BT standard. Scrolling Trackpad. Hard Drive fall protection. And most likely core image support on a superior GPU. All of the intangibles that were missing are now covered. Not to mention $400 cheaper and a more durable and more wifi receptive case. Sure you lose .17GHZ of processor speed and a slightly slower HD, but will you even be able to see a difference? The RAM speed has been made equal and now 512 is soldered on leaving an entire spot empty! If screen spanning is a must than u might consider it but you can accomplish that with a hack. If you really need more power for video editing/ music creation than a 15 or 17PB is still your best bet. If your looking for an ultraportable these are not for you however. Two of my friends in school have them and cannot take them anywhere! I was in the same position and this morning I bit the bullet. Got the new iBook for school with the Student Union, and used the money I saved to bump up the HD space and RAM. After all of this i still saved $300. I simply could no longer justify the extra money for the negligible speed. And who doesnt need more money for beer?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
TaKashMoney said:
Sure you lose .17GHZ of processor speed and a slightly slower HD, but will you even be able to see a difference?
For normal computing? No. But the PB isn't made for normal computing. Its a high end system for high end software. The little extra speed in the CPU, the faster hd, and the faster bus will definately be noticle with high end software.
The RAM speed has been made equal and now 512 is soldered on leaving an entire spot empty!
I need a more knowledgeable hardware expert to confirm this, but I don't thing the RAM speeds will be equal in the real world. I think the slower bus speed of the iBook may slow the RAM down.
If you really need more power for video editing/ music creation than a 15 or 17PB is still your best bet. If your looking for an ultraportable these are not for you however. Two of my friends in school have them and cannot take them anywhere!
I can't speak about the 17 (because I don't own one), but what you say about the 15 is flat out BS. I had a 12 inch iBook and it didn't leave my side. I now have a 15 inch PB and it doesn't leave my side. It is by no means less portable than the 12.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
I'm still surprised at the manipulative effect "apple updates' has on the consumer (esp. students): it's a stronghold, psychologically.

These spec updates should not have constituted a 10 month delay. But then again, that's apple's point precisely --- marketing timetables trumping innovation ones.

so, in the end, we (consumers) all "feel better" because we think we have the latest and greatest. What warped brainwashing. 10 months time and this. Think about it. go apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.