Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I have the 4S, so I get turn-by-turn navigation without the need to jailbreak, but I wonder if there is a way to enable turn-by-turn voice directions on an iPhone 4 running iOS6 without downloading a third-party navigation app. Is it as simple as editing a property list, or are there any files that enable turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone 4S that aren't available for the iP4?

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Apple is not releasing the turn-by-turn feature to the iPhone 4.

I think that's a big mistake. They should just allow Siri on iPhone 4 as well, it doesn't need to be a major selling point for iPhone 4S anymore. It should be a universal feature now.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think that's a big mistake. They should just allow Siri on iPhone 4 as well, it doesn't need to be a major selling point for iPhone 4S anymore. It should be a universal feature now.

You are thinking in todays terms. iOS6 will be released with the next (new) iPhone and the 4S will then be a lower end phone. The 4 will be the entry level phone and this by definition must be stripped of features to encourage upgrades (commonly called bait and switch).

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
You are thinking in todays terms. iOS6 will be released with the next (new) iPhone and the 4S will then be a lower end phone. The 4 will be the entry level phone and this by definition must be stripped of features to encourage upgrades (commonly called bait and switch).

Not everyone upgrades every year though, my sister is still on a 3G.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not everyone upgrades every year though, my sister is still on a 3G.
Apple is a business and therefore is in the business of making money which require that they use every means possible to persuade people to spend more money. This general rule applies to all for profit businesses.

sorry, but this is not "Bait and Switch".

You are correct it's not true (as in deceptive) bait and switch. However Apple offers the 3GS (and soon to be replaced by the 4) on a $0/contract because nothing gets people attention like the word free (or 99¢) and they want you to go in considering the iPhone. Go into an AT&T store to buy the 3GS and I'll bet they will try and upscale to the 4 or 4S by touting the extra features. I bet even in the Apple store they will make sure the customer is at least aware of the feature differences before completing the sale.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
You are correct it's not true (as in deceptive) bait and switch. However Apple offers the 3GS (and soon to be replaced by the 4) on a $0/contract because nothing gets people attention like the word free (or 99¢) and they want you to go in considering the iPhone. Go into an AT&T store to buy the 3GS and I'll bet they will try and upscale to the 4 or 4S by touting the extra features. I bet even in the Apple store they will make sure the customer is at least aware of the feature differences before completing the sale.

upselling is different from bait and switch. bait and switch would mean the only phone being advertised would be the 3GS, but when you go into the store, the only phone available would be something more expensive. if you say you only want a 3GS, you can still get one. bait and switch would would imply you couldn't even get a 3GS if that all you wanted. and i can't even remember even seeing anything less than a 4S being advertised.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Yes there is a jailbreak add on already out called 3DEnabler... It's now made its way to Cydia too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.