Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Hey,

Just purchased the new iPad and i'm just wondering how hot yours gets. Mine feels quite warm after 30-40 minutes of use is this normal?

My first gen iPad gets warm but not as much as this I would say. Would this be due to the retina screen?

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hey,

Just purchased the new iPad and i'm just wondering how hot yours gets. Mine feels quite warm after 30-40 minutes of use is this normal?

My first gen iPad gets warm but not as much as this I would say. Would this be due to the retina screen?

Thanks!

Mine gets warm, but never hot. Then again, I don't play GPU intensive games.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Unfortunately it doesn't get hot enough to warm us Brits during our **** summer.

Barely gets warm, even when playing infinity blade 2 for an hour. If you want to heat it up a bit more whack the brightness to 100% and play 3d games in a hot humid environment.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
I play games on mine, such as GTA3, Infinity Blade and other 3D GPU intensive games, and mine only ever gets warm which is normal/understandable. Never hot.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Quad-Core graphics + More LED backlights are to blame, and have also heard that the heat sink is now aluminum as opposed to plastic, so much more heat escapes through the shell. Noticed it more when I first got it, and would be playing on it for hours at a time. Would describe it as similar to a luke-warm coffee mug feeling at the most.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
The line between warm and hot is very subjective. I would say that when playing games mine sometime verges on hot. It can be warm enough to make my hands a bit sweaty but I never really uncomfortable. I can't say it bothers me too much, but if my next one stays cucumber cool it will be a bonus!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apples fundamental focus is form over function. Whether it's an iPad or laptop, it's all the same.

You'll notice in the forums there's a lot of questions about heat. It's about stylish products first with Apple.

If it gets hot, it's genuine Apple.

... and yes mine gets hot :)

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Mine gets warm (not hot) if I use it a lot for games. Otherwise, never gets warm or hot.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Thanks guys. My brightness is at 100% and it gets warm so i guess thats normal.

:D

cdf3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Mine gets warm in the lower left on the rear side of the unit.
I haven't noticed it since putting it in a case.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks guys. My brightness is at 100% and it gets warm so i guess thats normal.

:D

Turn it down to 50% and it doesn't get hot at all, even when playing games. The battery life is greatly improved as well.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
If I'm gaming on it for an extended amount of time, it does get pretty warm. Much more than my iPad 1, but I wouldn't describe it as hot.

jogales

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
According to my infrared thermometer, mine will top out at about 100ºF, but that's after playing a graphics intensive game with the brightness way up and the heat is only in a small spot. It's no warmer than my 4S gets, and my MacBook gets way, way hotter.

In short, just use it like normal and don't sweat it (no pun intended) :)

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
What's with the influx of heat threads again? I thought everybody already agreed that the iPad most certainly cannot reach a harmful temperature, even at max brightness while playing infinty blade 2.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Mine gets noticeably warm, but not hot, even with light use. Playing games does make a bit of difference around the CPU area, but thats all. No biggie as I expected it to be warmer.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Mine is fine until I play games on it. Then the temp rises and the battery sinks....

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Try to reduce your brightness and avoid the unused apps.Hope so it will work.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
My one got warm once, but that's because I was playing Modern Combat 3 for like..1hr..? That's expected on any device.

Other than that, I've had no over-heat issues as the others have had. Which is weird, because I was expecting it to heat up with the amount of complaints I heard. But I have no heat issues what-so-ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.