Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Okay this might be asked somewhere else in the forum or might not...i really need urgent help with this one so i've pretty much never done a search on this...
Ok...so i've a couple of video files i assume, which are in .rmvb format...i just wanna know, what program do i need to use to open the file?
Second thing is i'm planning to burn them into vcds...can i use Toast to burn them directly? Will Toast encode them for me nicely and burn it for me? Or it's impossible to burn .rmvb files into cd-r's? these files are around 200MB's...

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
.rmvb is an extension used by a realmedia file and you probably can't do anything with it. realmedia files are a pain to deal with. they make it like that on purpose.

You can burn them to CD's as regular data files, but you won't be able to convert them to VCD or DVD format unless you can find some 3rd party utility that will let you do it, and i've never heard of one.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Heb1228 said:
.rmvb is an extension used by a realmedia file and you probably can't do anything with it. realmedia files are a pain to deal with. they make it like that on purpose.

You can burn them to CD's as regular data files, but you won't be able to convert them to VCD or DVD format unless you can find some 3rd party utility that will let you do it, and i've never heard of one.

which means i can't burn them into cds?
aw...no solution for this one?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
well you can get the audio with a program like wire tap. I've really never seen a program that will let you grab the video and let you do anything with it. I did convert one realmedia file one time, but thats cause I wanted it really bad, it was a lot of trouble. A LOT

I hooked up my video camera to the S-Video out port on my PB and played the video into the camera and recorded it onto tape, then brought it back in to FCP. So long story is that unless you really, really want these videos, there's no easy way to do it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Snapz Pro X will let you grab video content. It's far from free, but it works. Make sure you have a boat-load of processor, RAM, and free disk space before embarking on this.

As noted, you'll have to use something like WireTap to grab the audio and then slap them together.

As always, make sure what you're trying to do is legal (e.g., you're not infringing on copyrighted material, right?)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
DarkNetworks said:
i've a windows system....
... with a DVD burner?

Edit: Never mind. Yeah, $30 is a little steep for a one or two-time thing, depending on how bad you want it.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
While we're on the subject does anyone know if there is any free software that can convert a WMV to a quicktime file? I have a video my boss want's converted but he's too cheap to pay for SnapzPro or Flip4Mac.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah i have a dvd burner..but i would prefer to do it using cd-rs but if i'm left with no choice but to use dvds i will use them...

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
aricher said:
While we're on the subject does anyone know if there is any free software that can convert a WMV to a quicktime file? I have a video my boss want's converted but he's too cheap to pay for SnapzPro or Flip4Mac.

Not anything free. Its not easy to do.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
There is a way

QuickTime is capable of doing just about anything you would ever want it to do. To allow QuickTime to read a new format, all you need is the proper video codec. They can be hard to find, but they do exist.

About a month ago, I was fed up with using VLC for watching AVI videos and Windows Media Player for Mac just plain sucks. So, I went on a codec hunt and I happened upon an amazing package of codecs. It was a package that contained 63 QuickTime codecs, allowing me to use QuickTime to view just about any video file that I'll ever come across. WMA, DivX, AVI, et cetera, all play natively in QuickTime. I can watch, edit, and can convert back and forth between any formats and any files that open natively in QuickTime. I am beyond impressed!

The only problem it seems to have is that even though it will play WMV files, only the first half of the video appears. I haven't really put much thought into this problem since I hardly ever watch WMA videos.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the legality of these codecs I've found. I don't know who wrote them or where they originally appeared. If I knew they were a part of a commercial product, I'd very much like to find out what exactly it is so that I can pay my respects to the creators in a monetary manner. Anyone who's interested in these files is welcome to PM me, unless a MacRumors Mod comes along and says it's OK for me to post a direct link to the files.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you need QuickTime Pro for these codecs to work. I have QT Pro on my PowerBook and everything works smoothly. I've never tested it on a non-QT Pro system. In fact, I've never tested it on any system other than my own, so it could be liable to screw something up. You have been forewarned. :rolleyes:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
elfin buddy said:
QuickTime is capable of doing just about anything you would ever want it to do. To allow QuickTime to read a new format, all you need is the proper video codec. They can be hard to find, but they do exist.

About a month ago, I was fed up with using VLC for watching AVI videos and Windows Media Player for Mac just plain sucks. So, I went on a codec hunt and I happened upon an amazing package of codecs. It was a package that contained 63 QuickTime codecs, allowing me to use QuickTime to view just about any video file that I'll ever come across. WMA, DivX, AVI, et cetera, all play natively in QuickTime. I can watch, edit, and can convert back and forth between any formats and any files that open natively in QuickTime. I am beyond impressed!

The only problem it seems to have is that even though it will play WMV files, only the first half of the video appears. I haven't really put much thought into this problem since I hardly ever watch WMA videos.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the legality of these codecs I've found. I don't know who wrote them or where they originally appeared. If I knew they were a part of a commercial product, I'd very much like to find out what exactly it is so that I can pay my respects to the creators in a monetary manner. Anyone who's interested in these files is welcome to PM me, unless a MacRumors Mod comes along and says it's OK for me to post a direct link to the files.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you need QuickTime Pro for these codecs to work. I have QT Pro on my PowerBook and everything works smoothly. I've never tested it on a non-QT Pro system. In fact, I've never tested it on any system other than my own, so it could be liable to screw something up. You have been forewarned. :rolleyes:

ooh....link? i've Quicktime Pro n i'm willing to take the risk...

:p :p :p

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
DarkNetworks said:
ooh....link? i've Quicktime Pro n i'm willing to take the risk...

:p :p :p

PM me and I'll tell you what you need to know. Like I said, I'm not sure if the codecs are pirated from a commercial software package, so I don't feel right just blatantly publishing a link on MacRumors.

If a Mod comes in here and says it's fine, I'd be happy to write a tutorial on where to get these codecs, how to install them, and anything else you need to know.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
elfin buddy said:
PM me and I'll tell you what you need to know. Like I said, I'm not sure if the codecs are pirated from a commercial software package, so I don't feel right just blatantly publishing a link on MacRumors.

If a Mod comes in here and says it's fine, I'd be happy to write a tutorial on where to get these codecs, how to install them, and anything else you need to know.

Ok...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.