Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gd6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Ive fixed a number of iPhone 4's (four, not 4s) over the past few months.

Occasionally I will get an iPhone 4 that will not recognize one of my home routers (its a tp-link high end n-300 router). Most iPhone 4 see this router no problem. So even if I enter in the network name manually, I can't get this current iPhone 4 I have to recognize my main router. I tried installing a completely different wifi antenna (the piece at the bottom connected to the loud speaker) and that didnt make a difference.

Its just wierd cause the connection it refuses to see is just a normal WPA2 secured WIFI connection, that most iphone 4 see and connect to without any issue...yet I've had a few iphone 4 over the past 3 months that just all cannot see the same router but connect fine to all the other access points I have. All of them have been updated to the latest IOS.

I turned off the security of the router and that didn't help the iphone 4 connect to it. I'm thinking this must be a specific hardware configuration with a bug in the wifi components that apple probably knows about but doesnt admit.

Anyone experience this, or know of a way to fix it or have any ideas? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.