Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
hi all, I just read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172

halfway down, notice the FAQ, 'using USB 2 in USB 3 port' (paraphrased)...

so if I read that right, we're supposed to not use a USB 2 device first... am I reading that right? are we forever depreciating our mac's USB 3 if we first use the port if we first use USB 2???

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you mean this part?
What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).

If so, it only means, that USB 2.0 devices will work at USB 2.0 speeds. USB 3.0 devices will still be able to work at USB 3.0 speeds, as USB does not really allow daisy chaining like Firewire or Thunderbolt does, it only supports the use of hubs.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I'm pretty sure that phrase means that if you connect a USB 2.0 hub to a USB 3.0 port, you'll only get USB 2.0 speeds out of any devices connected to the hub, regardless of being USB 3.0 or not. Basically, the hub has to support USB 3.0 for any subsequent devices to connect at USB 3.0 speeds.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
thanks for the responses thus far...

no, this is what i'm referring to:

"The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first"

what do you all make of this statement?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
first in the line.

it's not going to disable your computer permanently, that's would be like them making the first site you visit in safari will be the only site you can visit.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
thanks for the responses thus far...

no, this is what i'm referring to:

"The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first"

what do you all make of this statement?

right... talking about daisy chaining... i guess in my rapid reading, i interpreted that another way...

Azmo

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
stuck with USB 2.0 forever??

Hi all. I'm wondering the same thing as ayres - will I only ever be able to achieve USB 2.0 speeds after using 2.0 devices with my 3.0 capable inputs on my MacBook Pro?

The previously mentioned apple support page seems to suggest that.

If that is the case, does anyone know if there is away to 'reconfigure' the ports so that I can use 3.0 devices to their full capacity? :confused:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
They simply mean the first device in the port is the maximum speed you get for devices further down the chain.
e.g. using a USB 2 hub in the port, means any USB 3 devices plugged into that hub, will only work at USB 2 speed, as the USB 2 hub is the first device in that "configuration".

If you unplug it, and just insert the USB 3 device straight into the port (not using the USB 2 hub), then it will re-configure immediately to work at USB 3 speeds, as there are no USB 2 devices (e.g. USB 2 hub) between the port and the USB 3 device.

So plug in USB 2 and USB 3 devices interchangeably to your heart's content — just remember you get the speed of the slowest device on all devices if it's first in the port on the chain of devices you are using in that set-up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.