Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Safari to me has been the best mobile browser in the app store until Google Chrome came out.

It's really intuitive and fast.

Thoughts?

P51

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Safari to me has been the best mobile browser in the app store until Google Chrome came out.

It's really intuitive and fast.

Thoughts?

Only using the Chrome app now. I find the tab system better and like the look better too.

Even though they say it can never be as fast as Safari, I see no difference.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I prefer chrome over all else I have come across. The number one feature that got me instantly is the "search for text within page". While this feature is TECHNICALLY in safari too, it is implemented so poorly that mostly people don't know it's there, and those that do don't use it since it's a PITA to use. I also prefer tabs in chrome over Safari, but that alone wouldn't have switched me.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I love the chrome browser but the work needed to get to a specific bookmark sucks. It's a two step process vs safaris one step when you add them to the bookmarks bar.

So I use safari.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The gestures, request desktop version feature, and the tab syncing are all features that made me use Chrome as my default browser. I'm jailbroken so i've already hidden Safari on my iPhone and iPad. I've also installed Chromizer to enable pull to refresh, fullscreen mode, and more gestures. i used BrowserChooser to make Chrome the default browser.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I only wish iTunes would allow direct bookmark sync via chrome just like they do between Internet explorer or desktop safari and also to allow Chrome as a default browser (but of course iOS is not android)

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
The iOS version is watered down and pretty lame, so I use Safari on my iPad. Chrome is a ton better on an Android device.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
i hate the damn refreshing it does when I click on a youtube link and go back to the a forum. It makes me lose my spot.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I prefer chrome over all else I have come across. The number one feature that got me instantly is the "search for text within page". While this feature is TECHNICALLY in safari too, it is implemented so poorly that mostly people don't know it's there, and those that do don't use it since it's a PITA to use. I also prefer tabs in chrome over Safari, but that alone wouldn't have switched me.

So much truth. So so much.

----------

I love the chrome browser but the work needed to get to a specific bookmark sucks. It's a two step process vs safaris one step when you add them to the bookmarks bar.

So I use safari.

Considering it's 3 steps to switch tabs in Safari vs. 1 step in Chrome (a mere swipe), I'd say the math works out.

And this is sort of where widgets come in really handy. I have a widget on one of my Galaxy Nexus' page that's dedicated to my bookmarks. I can easily launch from my home screen directly to any number of my fav. sites.

I think widgets are overrated in general, but some of them (usually the simpler ones) are incredibly useful.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Until Apple implements a way to set a default browser (so links from other apps don't open Safari), I am just going to stick to Safari.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I am loving chrome right now. It seems faster.

I completed agree... And I'm not sure how it's being executed. Without access to V8, Apple has done their best to keep Safari as the king of Java script performance... But somehow, someway Google just flat flies... Both on my home wifi network (22mb down, 5 up) - - as well, and my HSPA speeds (non LTE market) - - - not saying it's faster than Safari in measurement - - - but in everyday use, and it hauls Balls!

My complaint would be it's lack of ability to increase font size. iCab had done a helluva job implementing this ability - - - and easily with features.

I'm impressed and as an iOS browser hoarder :) - - - I've got over two dozen browsers on my iPads and iPhones

Chrome is now right up there with iCab, and Atomic, Dolphin and Opera

J

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I use chrome on my desktop.

On the iPhone I prefer the safari experience. I tried both for a few days and preferred Safari in the end.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I like Chrome but I find my bank's website is slower on it. Gonna use it for a few more days/weeks then switch to Safari and see which I like more

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
I still prefer Safari for every day use (basically because I can't set chrome as the default), but incognito sure makes it easier to get "work" done and not have all my "business" URLs show up when someone else is using my phone.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I use chrome and it is set to my default browser (jailbreak). The only thing I want is Safari Download Manager ported over to Chrome. And maybe a hack to run Nitro in UIWebView, but that would just be the creaming on an otherwise good cake.

I don't care about bookmarks on my iOS devices, but I do find it eligant and fast to access my bookmarks on my Chrome work computer, or private home laptop. (open a new tab anyway, bookmarks -> bookmarsk -> choose computer)

The Other devices tab function, i use all the time, to work seamless across my devices.

Cant wait to see other tweaks appear in cydia for Chrome, the only I fancy as of yet is to change default browser. But I'm hoping for more :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
yepp its set as the default browser on all devices/computers

i love how i can see what tabs are open on all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.