Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
jisu02
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Help!! Wifi slow on 4th generation

I have a 3rd generation ipod, and my sister got a 4th generation a couple of months ago. Even though mine is from a previous generation, my ipod runs faster than hers - on hers it's takes forever for internet pages to load, for apps to download (~30min-1hr), for her to receive and send messages, for videos to load on youtube, and etc.
I googled this and found that many had been experiencing the same problem, but there wasn't a clear solution or even something that worked to fix it. As per some suggestions that I found online, I reset network connections on the device and updated the firmware on my wireless router (a linksys wireless-B BEFW11S4 ver.4) but nothing worked, it's still as slow as ever.

Does anyone know what I should do? Is it a problem with my wifi or with the ipod itself? I read somewhere that it could be the age of my router, but I saw another post somewhere that said that age had nothing to do with it. Wifi works just fine on my 3rd generation and the computers that we have at home.

I'd appreciate any help, I've been trying different things all day and even though it's not my ipod, I feel so frustrated/bad for my sister!
jisu02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

The ancient 802.11b router is the most likely cause. Get an AirPort Express or almost any 802.11n router.
Did I mention the BEFW1154 is really ancient?
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
chirilla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
The ancient 802.11b router is the most likely cause. Get an AirPort Express or almost any 802.11n router.
Did I mention the BEFW1154 is really ancient?
My sons both have 4th gen ipod touches. WiFi is SUPER slow and I have an Apple Time Capsule/Wireless router. On my MacBook I can get insane fast speeds as with my Mac and iPhone5. So I dont think this is a router issue. Has anybody figured out how to improve the wifi soeed for the ipod 4th gen? I cannot get more than 1Mb/second....insanely slow
chirilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Your MacBook is probably using the 5GHz WiFi and your iTouch is stuck on the 2.4GHz WiFi. There are lots of things using 2.4GHz and as a bonus if you have any older B or G gear running it'll slow the network down to those speeds.

Also the WiFi in an iPod Touch is not that fast, nowhere near what you'll get from a MacBook.

Can you set the router for only N clients?
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch