Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
todd2000
macrumors 68000

Can you use a Sprint iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile?

Is it possible to use a Sprint iPhone 4S on Virgin mobile, being that they use the same network? I figure I might be able to get a better deal on a Sprint 4S on eBay rather than pay $649 from Virgin....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2000 View Post
Is it possible to use a Sprint iPhone 4S on Virgin mobile, being that they use the same network? I figure I might be able to get a better deal on a Sprint 4S on eBay rather than pay $649 from Virgin....
Nope. Different cdma freq.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
todd2000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
Oh well HTC it is
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
encoderer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I think this might be incorrect. My understanding is that Virgin is owned by Sprint and uses the Sprint network. I'm definitely not an absolute authority on this, though, so where did you get your information?
encoderer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
Quote:
Originally Posted by encoderer View Post
I think this might be incorrect. My understanding is that Virgin is owned by Sprint and uses the Sprint network. I'm definitely not an absolute authority on this, though, so where did you get your information?
This is true. I am curious of this as well.
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Vegasryn
macrumors regular

Quote:

Incorrect - it's using Sprint's network. However the MEID numbers are only in Virgin Mobile's Database and vice versa, so trying to activate a Sprint on Virgin or a Virgin on Sprint will not work as the device will not show up in their system
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

One of the main reasons why VM is selling the iphone is to help Sprint fulfill commitment to sell $15.5B of iPhones. So you need to buy the iPhone outright, and in return you get a low monthly rate.
unlimitedx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
Ah okay. While waiting for this phone, doubting I'll ever get it anyway, I was exploring service options other than my own.
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #9
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky736 View Post
Ah okay. While waiting for this phone, doubting I'll ever get it anyway, I was exploring service options other than my own.
VM definitely seems to be the best deal in town, especially if you are planning to keep the phone for a long time. The downsides are that, people say their 3g network is very, very slow, and since the iPhone is locked to VM, the re-sale value would be lower than an unlocked iphone.
unlimitedx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
VM definitely seems to be the best deal in town, especially if you are planning to keep the phone for a long time. The downsides are that, people say their 3g network is very, very slow, and since the iPhone is locked to VM, the re-sale value would be lower than an unlocked iphone.
I was a former VM user (5 years). Last week I bought an unlocked iPhone new from Apple and switched to Straight Talk. I do pay $15 more per month but I'll get a much larger calling area (there's no Sprint service where my Dad lives in Montana) and I'll get unlimited voice. I rarely went over my 300 minute allotment but when I did, it was a pain to make sure that I had enough extra money in my account to last until my next month's auto payment.

VM's 3G is also painfully slow where I live. Straight Talk is very snappy and I'm very pleased with the increase in speed. I liked paying $25 a month but, the benefits are worth an additional $20 a month.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:57 PM   #11
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasryn View Post
Incorrect - it's using Sprint's network. However the MEID numbers are only in Virgin Mobile's Database and vice versa, so trying to activate a Sprint on Virgin or a Virgin on Sprint will not work as the device will not show up in their system
Yup. VM also sucks, since they are Sprint without roaming, so it's a crappy network made even crappier, and one that won't work in 60-75% of the country.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Yup. VM also sucks, since they are Sprint without roaming, so it's a crappy network made even crappier, and one that won't work in 60-75% of the country.
That's simply not fair. I had VM for 5 years and was very satisfied with the service. No, it didn't work in some places and yes, there were a limited number of phones I could use, but customer service was great and most importantly, I was only paying $25 a month. VM most definitely isn't for everyone but it's an amazing value and nobody can deny that.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
That's simply not fair. I had VM for 5 years and was very satisfied with the service. No, it didn't work in some places and yes, there were a limited number of phones I could use, but customer service was great and most importantly, I was only paying $25 a month. VM most definitely isn't for everyone but it's an amazing value and nobody can deny that.
It's OK for some people who are OK with not having any cell phone service when traveling. If people need cell phone service while traveling, they need a real carrier. I recommended it to a friend who just didn't want to pay much, and he's OK with it, but he knows that if he leaves an urban or suburban area, he's not going to have any service except 911.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone