Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
So I just bought my boyfriend an iPod Nano (6th gen) for his birthday and he is currently deployed in Afghanistan. I was wondering does the 6th gen need to be activated via iTunes WITH an internet connection?

He doesn't have access to the internet from his MacBook but does obviously have iTunes. I'm just wondering if I should to activate it from my iMac before sending it off to him or if he'll be ok doing it himself without internet.

Thanks in advance.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Should work fine out of the box with out the internet.

I know some one with a nano and he never even synced it with a computer and it works fine.

He uses it as a radio.

Don't ask why, I do not understand his logic on it.

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
He most certainly is, thanks! I couldn't be more proud of him and what he's doing :D

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
The question has been answered but I wanted to say thank you to your bf for serving in the military. Good luck and hope he comes home safe.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So I just bought my boyfriend an iPod Nano (6th gen) for his birthday and he is currently deployed in Afghanistan. I was wondering does the 6th gen need to be activated via iTunes WITH an internet connection?

He doesn't have access to the internet from his MacBook but does obviously have iTunes. I'm just wondering if I should to activate it from my iMac before sending it off to him or if he'll be ok doing it himself without internet.

You might want to check out what version of iTunes your BF has on his Macbook. Apple's very particular on requiring the latest version of software for the hardware/accessories to work. Although iTunes usually is pretty good at supporting hardware without needing the latest version.

If your BF doesn't have the latest version of iTunes, you may want to DL the latest version that his MB can uses (depends on the model of the MB and the OS that he's using) and burn it onto a DVD. Then send him the nano and the DVD and he'll be set.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.