Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
I'm hoping this is the case because although my left port is syncing with the iPad and powering it, it won't run anything else (such as a new USB pen drive I got today and my Logitech mouse transmitter) - but all of these seem to work in the right side USB port. I hope there's nothing wrong with my machine, it'll be hard to give up now I've finally got it!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I'm hoping this is the case because although my left port is syncing with the iPad and powering it, it won't run anything else (such as a new USB pen drive I got today and my Logitech mouse transmitter) - but all of these seem to work in the right side USB port. I hope there's nothing wrong with my machine, it'll be hard to give up now I've finally got it!

things seem to work for me on both sides.

Contact apple support, see what they say.

One thing you can you is speak to them on the phone (if you need to arrange a return and replacement) and ask them to send the new one out, what you then do is schedule the collection date for your current machine to after the expected delivery date of the replacement, that way you always have a macbook pro.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Hmm, very oddly it's started working now. I wonder if the iPad connector loosened a pin or something? It definitely didn't recognise either device I tried before. I'll have to see how it goes in the next few days...

markp99

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
New Hampshire
Good timing.

I have noticed a few times over the last day or two that my external USB 3.0 drive will DISCONNECT simply by moving the drive or jiggling the cable.

Might be a bad cable/connector - USB connector feels loose/wiggly in the RMBP. This is a WD Passport drive - could be a slightly undersized connector from WD, or oversized slot from Apple.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Note: The only other USB device I've used on this RMBP was a USB thumb drive - no issue with that.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Both should be identical.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Good timing.

I have noticed a few times over the last day or two that my external USB 3.0 drive will DISCONNECT simply by moving the drive or jiggling the cable.

Might be a bad cable/connector - USB connector feels loose/wiggly in the RMBP. This is a WD Passport drive - could be a slightly undersized connector from WD, or oversized slot from Apple.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Note: The only other USB device I've used on this RMBP was a USB thumb drive - no issue with that.

I have a TERRIBLE time with WD cables. I have two 500GB externals from then and one of the cables just doesn't work and the other one can get pretty finicky at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.