Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRyu

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
So, i decided to buy a rMBP. I'm thinking whether I should buy AppleCare or not. I'm kinda careless person, easily paranoid when holding something expensive.

Anyone experience accidental damage with AppleCare? I wanna listen some of your story. how it go through.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You'll need something squaretrade which is insurance for accidental damage

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
AppleCare definitely have the authority to issue an exception to the warranty but it is not dependent upon the purchase of APP. Get insurance you klutz.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

^This, your statement seems to contradict itself.

You're either a careless person, dropping things all the time, or you're the kind of person paranoid about safety for expensive stuff so you handle expensive things with care meaning, you're more carefull with your macbook. You can't be both.

markp99

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
New Hampshire
We added a rider to our homeowners insurance policy to cover 2 MBP and one MBA. Covers Theft, Loss, Damage. $38/yr $50 deductible.

No brainer, especially with our son travelling across Europe this summer, staying in random Hostels along the way (some nice, some not so nice ;))

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
We added a rider to our homeowners insurance policy to cover 2 MBP and one MBA. Covers Theft, Loss, Damage. $38/yr $50 deductible.

No brainer, especially with our son travelling across Europe this summer, staying in random Hostels along the way (some nice, some not so nice ;))
Sometimes the cost to make a claim on house/contents insurance can be quite high, like ~$500, but generally yeah it's a great move (I've got it).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
but does anyone have their unit replaced or fix for free ?

Under Applecare

If its a defect, its free repair.

Replacement : Depends on the issue. Generally they will fix most of them, if though the same unit experiences a number of defects during the course of Applecare warranty, I have head of people being offered a brand new unit/model.

Expect to get it fixed though.

Accidental damage : No cover, and depending on what you do, you might stuff up your Applecare, as when Apple lock into it, and think the damage you did contributed to whatever issue your having your not covered.

It no different from Car Warranty. Not covered when you smash into someone. You need insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.