Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Photo critique

I'm curious what people think of this image. It is only a basic edit so color, levels and all that aren't correct. What I'm interested is what you think of the composition. I'm trying to figure out crop and angle. (Or if it just flat out sucks. )

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5561-Edit.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	391369  
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Doylem
macrumors 68040

The composition looks fine to me... giving the image an air of mystery...
Doylem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

That actually looks pretty good, the only thing I would suggest is that you try cropping it so the head is a little closer to center vertically. Note that I think it's something to try - it may or may not be better.

And I would really like to see it when you're done with the editing.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
snberk103
macrumors 603

Just for fun, lay a fibonacci spiral on top of the image. I have a feeling that some minor adjustments to the cropping might bring some of the image elements nicely into the spiral.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Nice photo, but my eyes got stuck on the red blotch of the elbow, and can't let go... May be just me, but I'm not cognizant of having a fetish for elbows.

RGDS,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Bit square for me and there seems to be a bit to much pure black on the right.
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
The composition looks fine to me... giving the image an air of mystery...
Can't say I don't like to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
That actually looks pretty good, the only thing I would suggest is that you try cropping it so the head is a little closer to center vertically. Note that I think it's something to try - it may or may not be better.

And I would really like to see it when you're done with the editing.
I'll give it a try while I'm playing with the cropping. As it is I'm dumping 2/3 of the pixels but it is still sitting at 12MP. At print size it is around 250 dpi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Just for fun, lay a fibonacci spiral on top of the image. I have a feeling that some minor adjustments to the cropping might bring some of the image elements nicely into the spiral.
I hadn't thought of that. I believe Photoshop has that as an option - I know the crop tool in Lightroom supports it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Nice photo, but my eyes got stuck on the red blotch of the elbow, and can't let go... May be just me, but I'm not cognizant of having a fetish for elbows.
Actually that also jumped out at me. Once I was satified with the composition I was going to get to work on the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Bit square for me and there seems to be a bit to much pure black on the right.
Interesting - the target size is 12x16 so not quite square but I get where you are coming from. In this case I have a series of three images that I wanted printed at the same dimensions.

As far as the black goes it was dark outside and I was shooting against some black felt. This was a total experiment and I had never done anything like it before. I love the mirror effect from the water. It is something I will revisit but with better wardrobe and props.

Thank you for all the input.

For reference, the original file looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC5561.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	391777  
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 AM   #8
snberk103
macrumors 603

Just for fun....

Made it square, and altered the cropping somewhat....

I think you have a great idea that needs exploring...
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

I was looking at square for one of the other images so it isn't too far of a streach.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #10
genshi
macrumors 6502a

First off, great photo from the start!

Secondly, I usually shoot and prefer the square format, but in this case, a more rectangular crop would be better (in my humble opinion) as well as showing more of the model. If I may be so presumptuous, I took a shot at editing your photo...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lairdknox_edit.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	391923  
genshi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Just for fun....

Made it square, and altered the cropping somewhat....

I think you have a great idea that needs exploring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
First off, great photo from the start!

... If I may be so presumptuous, I took a shot at editing your photo...
Interesting that we both de-emphasized the hand, either by darkening it or cropping it out entirely. Just for fun I re-cropped it without the arm at all. Hope the OP doesn't mind us mucking about with their image, eh?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC5561-Edit.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	391947  

Last edited by snberk103; Jan 22, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

I don't mind the crops at all. There are a lot of things that I like about the image but the original shot just didn't do it. The idea of this post was to see the shot in other ways and that is what I got.

Since none of us had done any underwater work I was happy to get what I did.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

To me the original crop looks a little weighted to the left; the negative space on the right is throwing the composition off a tiny bit. I'd crop the right side off a little.
That rose was a little distracting, but I see how it fits in to the theme of the photo. It just felt odd that she would have a rose by her chest underwater. But maybe I'm just carping...

Great shot! How did you take it? An underwater housing?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Yeah, Nikon D800 in an Ikelight housing with a Tokina 11-16mm lens, two DS51 Substrobes and a big studio strobe above water (don't know the brand/model).

I brought a bunch of silk flowers and she kept grabbing them. There wasn't really any direction in the shots. It was a complete learning experience. I can't wait to try it again.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography