Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SS-I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Hi all, newbie here looking for some help~

Background info:
- Iphone 4
- Jailbreak ios4.1
- Baseband 02.10.04

Like to unjailbreak and update to 5.1.1, and may want to preserve baseband for unlocking flexibility. Will not jailbreak after updating to latest ios.

If I'm to restore using itune, it'll update ios to 5.1.1 directly right? Which will update my baseband as well I believe?

Anyone knows how I should go about doing this?

Thanks!

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Hi all, newbie here looking for some help~

Background info:
- Iphone 4
- Jailbreak ios4.1
- Baseband 02.10.04

Like to unjailbreak and update to 5.1.1, and may want to preserve baseband for unlocking flexibility. Will not jailbreak after updating to latest ios.

If I'm to restore using itune, it'll update ios to 5.1.1 directly right? Which will update my baseband as well I believe?

Anyone knows how I should go about doing this?

Thanks!

Download a program called RedSn0w. You can make a firmware without a baseband so that you keep your current one. Be aware that you'll have a cosmetic issue in which your phone only shows 1 bar of signal strength (doens't impact actual performance/reception).

Cruise over to iClarified.com and look it up in the tutorials section under iPhone > Jailbreak. All the links for downloads are included in the tutorial as well.

Good luck, and post here/PM me w/ any questions.

SS-I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
I read a few instructions on the Redsnow method, but would it not jailbreak after the update?

I like to keep it non-jailbroken afterwards.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I read a few instructions on the Redsnow method, but would it not jailbreak after the update?

You're only using RedSn0w to make a custom firmware that will leave your baseband alone. The only way RedSn0w will jailbreak your device is if you click "Jailbreak" & follow all the prompts.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You didnt read really into it then.
Redsnow will create a 5.1.1 ipsw that its the same as stock but will not touch your baseband.
Then once you restore to that no_bb ipsw you can choose to run redsnow again in order to JB it or leave it as is stock with the old BB.

SS-I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone, will give it a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.