Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
I was cleaning my rMBP with a damp cloth with a little isopropyl alcohol in it and when i turned it on now i cant type anything! A few keys work 1 out of 10 times only and the caps lock key is contantly on, even when the macbook is off!

What do i do? Isopropyl evaporates really fast, and it has been 15-20 min and it still not working, is this permanenent? I will wait more but has anyone ever had similar experiences in the past?

Last edited:

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
It sounds like you have a stuck key. It's rare but it's happened to me a few times over the years.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
You may have gotten some inside the keyboard circuitry. Dry the machine out fully before trying it again.

Store bought 70% IPA still has water in it. I would not use anything other than 100% on electronics - molecular grade

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
unfortunately i did this to my keyboard as well. it never recovered. i hope your turn out is much better.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
It sounds like you have a stuck key. It's rare but it's happened to me a few times over the years.

You mean like some key is continuously pressed(and that is because of moisture) and thats why none of the keys are working?
what happened to you, did it had the same symptoms?

Im like, REALLY worried :confused:

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
You mean like some key is continuously pressed(and that is because of moisture) and thats why none of the keys are working?
what happened to you, did it had the same symptoms?:

No I mean one of the keys was physically stuck down, which causes none of the other keys to appear functional because the stuck one is repeating. Or maybe it's stuck in alt-shift mode or alt-caps mode. I don't see how moisture would cause this. I'm assuming you wiped down the keyboard.

You should be able to clean the keyboard with a damp cloth. If that killed your computer I would bring it back and exchange it. I have done this many times with many laptops.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Nope, surgical grade 70% and 30% water.

Ouch,
sounds crazy but I would probably wrap the laptop in a microfiber cloth or something and put it in a sealed bag with uncooked rice.. I dropped my iPhone 4 in my chlorinated pool over a year ago, dried out a few days in a bag full of rice after taking out the battery and it's been fine since.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
Ouch,
sounds crazy but I would probably wrap the laptop in a microfiber cloth or something and put it in a sealed bag with uncooked rice.. I dropped my iPhone 4 in my chlorinated pool over a year ago, dried out a few days in a bag full of rice after taking out the battery and it's been fine since.

I think ill try to contact apple and see if they will replace it, the more i keep it the lesser the chances of replacement.

----------

In the future don't use anything other than a little bit of water. :)

I hope it turns out okay!

Not even that :p

I had got it for my college, and my college didnt even start yet. :(

Queen6

macrumors G4
Why are you introducing a water saturated cloth with or without isopropyl to a highly sensitive electronic device ?

The cleaning cloth should be wrung out as much as possible, frankly you are better off with shiny key`s than a defective machine. I clean my Mac`s with a dry micro fibre cloth. Water and electronics think about it, leave your Mac off as long as possible, if then it does not work as expected have your credit card on hand, consider it an expensive lesson learned.

Sorry it is what it is...

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I think ill try to contact apple and see if they will replace it, the more i keep it the lesser the chances of replacement.
If apple received a returned computer which has undisclosed water damage, wouldn't there be reprocussions when it is later discovered at the refurb depot?

Certainly they would be able to know who had which machine based on the SN.

golu14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
If apple received a returned computer which has undisclosed water damage, wouldn't there be reprocussions when it is later discovered at the refurb depot?

Certainly they would be able to know who had which machine based on the SN.

I wish it gets all good by itself in a day.
Ill donate some money to a charity if that happens...lol

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I was cleaning my rMBP with a damp cloth with a little isopropyl alcohol in it and when i turned it on now i cant type anything! A few keys work 1 out of 10 times only and the caps lock key is contantly on, even when the macbook is off!

What do i do? Isopropyl evaporates really fast, and it has been 15-20 min and it still not working, is this permanenent? I will wait more but has anyone ever had similar experiences in the past?

Stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.