Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phat Phreddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Ok I am stunned to discover this (very very common I would think) need is proving so hard to find.

I want to wire an iPod into my car system. I want it to be center console mounted and powered. I will wire its output into the car stereos line in / aux. Simple right ?? I will wire the power supply to the cars ignition so only when the key is in the ignition will it have power (same as my stereo).

I have no interest in radio broadcasting, or cassette modulators etc etc.. A line out charging dock is what I want. I also dont want to move to a head unit with iPod control due to limited head unit browsing ability. The control and playback is far better left to a well mounted iPod.

However, and this is where I am finding it hard) the dock must pause the playback, and resume playback from pause, based on when the power (to the dock and hence iPod) is applied and stopped. The iPod must shutdown also once power is removed (delay acceptable but resume must work) not just sit there slowly losing battery.

I have gigs and gigis of DJ mixes, many multiple hour sets, and you cant keep seeking and messing about to get to where you were. the pause and resume is the key here.

The closest I have found are docks that pause, then shutdown the ipod, but none I have found will resume playback once power is reapplied. All require user intervention to resume.

Surely someone makes one so that playback 'just works' right ??

Phat Phreddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah read that review..

1) its FM.. Not found anything for Aux similar
2) seems like a lot of drawbacks.. Static.. Top tree in the menu.. Not shutting down properly so battery drained.

I am floored that a simple 'on and off' process is so hard to achieve. I mean, isnt that what everyone wants ??

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
They do make the Belkin Tunebase Direct -- no FM -- I just don't know if it has that same feature.

BTW, you can also get head units that still allow all control from the iPod itself. No limited browsing at all.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Yeah read that review..

1) its FM.. Not found anything for Aux similar
2) seems like a lot of drawbacks.. Static.. Top tree in the menu.. Not shutting down properly so battery drained.

I am floored that a simple 'on and off' process is so hard to achieve. I mean, isnt that what everyone wants ??

This is why I connect my iPhone to the dock connector on my Pioneer car stereo but have it set so that I can browse my library on my iPod. It pauses when I turn off the car and continues on it's own when I start the car.

See, there is a device. You just set the stereo so it's on iPod control meaning you can use the iPod to play what you want. it will still allow you to use the stereo to pause and skip songs and even browse your library on this setting, just allows the iPod to control things at the same time.

Connecting with bluetooth does this as well, the iPod pauses when I stop the car and resume when I start the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.