Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much market share do you think Apple should have?

• As it already is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 21-40%

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 41-60%

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 61-80%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 81-100%

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
As Mac users what do we want?

I personally want about a 30% market share with Linux having about 25% (on Mac Hardware) and Windows having the remaining 55%.

Please don't flame me due to the fact that I may seem pro windows, the Fact it i HATE windows and almost everything about it! The only think I like is the fact its so buggy!

BUT I don't want us to rule the world cause then it would not be as much fun in the War Against Windows.

I want Apple to be bigger but not take over!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Perspective.

If Apple sold Mac OS as platform independant Mac OS would have a significantly higher marketshare. This, in turn would drive Apple HW sales because the differences in HW quality would be more obvious. As it is, Apple is really competing with companies like SGI and Sun who produce both HW and SW. Total marketshare would be more accurately measured by exploding the figures: Apple looks a whole lot better if it's broken out not by platform but by HW manufacturers and by OS use across more than just consumer markets. A chart showing Apple, Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, etc. showing all computers sold that are less than 3 years old by manufacturor, Apple would be more impressive. Fail rate by age would be another interesting study.

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yay #2!

We need more mac users, all the kids at school pick on me ;)

hehe, just kiddin.. If we become stronger in numbers than windows, it almost takes the fun out of being the under dog, if youre first, you cant try anything risky. but number 2 is great! :)

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Numbers

-Dell has a market share of 12-15%
-Compaq has a market share of 11-14%
-Apple has a market share of 3-5%

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Perspective.

Originally posted by mischief
If Apple sold Mac OS as platform independant Mac OS would have a significantly higher marketshare. This, in turn would drive Apple HW sales because the differences in HW quality would be more obvious.

This is one opinion - but there are those who disagree with this.... Not the idealisticconcept - but the realistic implementation... the devil is in the details...

Supporting every possible PC config would be a nightmare in itself... along with 0 software available for the Intel OS X (since it's not binary compatible with Classic/Carbon/Cocoa).

Then, people will say "but why not create a Windows compatability layer" - well, there was an OS that did that - called OS/2 from a little company called IBM.... it failed miserably...

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.