Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:10 AM   #51
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
It will need a better screen res than 1024x768
Why?
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:11 AM   #52
cvam1985
macrumors regular

Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.
cvam1985 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:13 AM   #53
leukotriene
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.
Hahaha I think the thing we're all debating is if Apple would make one, not if they could. We're all in agreement that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time, except for you.
leukotriene is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #54
Virinprew
macrumors 6502

I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).
Virinprew is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #55
leukotriene
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvam1985 View Post
Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.
Exactly. And just like how (correct me if I'm wrong) adding the 11 inch sku to the MacBook Air resulted in dramatically better sales for the line, Apple's making a bet that the same will happen for th iPad line.

iPad Air anyone?
leukotriene is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:21 AM   #56
bharatgupta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnr View Post
When the iPad was released, it was basically a (great) web browser. Between Facebook and eBay, lots of popular websites have a native app now. Apps are usually much cleaner and would absolutely work on <8". Are there world-wide usage statistics for tablets? I wonder if browsing still ranks high. I only see Facebook, casual games and movies on the subway.

And this is even more anecdotal, but I wonder if there is a local bias towards bigger tablets in the American and European markets. I'm in Asia and many people have pointed out that the iPad is too big and heavy. I've never heard anyone in Europe say that.
i m in asia too, held one yes its heavy but not a small sized device, the components need to get lighter not the screen that needs to be smaller, ipad size is perfect for content consumption device.
bharatgupta is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:26 AM   #57
LeonPro
macrumors regular

To each his own. I purchased the new iPad for my kid and did not like it's size and weight. So we're waiting for a smaller iPad. I also will benefit from a smaller iPad because I have apps for my home theater that will control the devices. It's way better than a universal remote and I'm willing to pay the price to use it as such.

Current: Mac Book Pro (13" LED, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD), 23" Apple Cinema Display, iSight, Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station Dual-Band, Mighty Mouse
LeonPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:38 AM   #58
vikpt
macrumors regular

Launch this October? I was really hoping for a 13 in retina Macbook Pro launch this October instead (like what was rumored weeks ago)
vikpt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:41 AM   #59
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Why?
Even the relatively cheap Nexus 7 has a 1200x800 display.
Eadfrith is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:45 AM   #60
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

If this is true, it means we will never get an iPhone larger than what we get this fall.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:49 AM   #61
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Anybody heard about a price point on the mini iPad.
KdParker is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:55 AM   #62
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Anybody heard about a price point on the mini iPad.
I keep seeing $250-300 mentioned. All speculation though.
Eadfrith is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:57 AM   #63
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Apple doesnít compete with cheap smartphones, Apple doesnít compete with cheap laptops, Apple won't compete with cheap tablets.
MacFather is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:07 AM   #64
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

Without Steve Jobs, Apple is falling into the rabbit hole.... This company it's supposed to LEAD not to FOLLOW. Let the small tablets fight with each other and keep improving the iPad in it's form factor. Now we are going to have an inconsistent app ecosystem as Android with apps that will look good on that space and others that wont fit. Why Apple?? Why?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:08 AM   #65
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I'm happy with my $319 iPad 2. Would not want to go any smaller for close to that price, although I am sure many would want it. If this is true, I don't see the iPod touch being around much longer...
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:16 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinKraft View Post
What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...
As I said before, a smaller iPad is as relevant as a 27" inch iPhone. If this really happens, it will be a CLEAR sign that Apple has lost its way under Cook's non-visionary leadership, who seems to cave to each and every stupid "advice" by vocal analysts and customers.

I assure you: a smaller iPad would be the first of many post-SJ blunders, just like Sculley did with the fragmentation of the Mac line back in the 90s (PowerMac, Performa, LC, Quadra and Centris)...Cook is an executor, NOT an innovator.
50548 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:17 AM   #67
tex210
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetGate View Post
No reason why they can't do this. They've got a lot more surface area to spread the components around.
...and that's the key to improving the ipod touch. Add gps and maybe prepaid data and voila, there's now a need for a larger battery. Might as well bump the screen while you're at it.
tex210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:27 AM   #68
D.T.
macrumors 68030

The major factor in this is +price+.

I donít believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7Ē still wonít fit in a pocket, itís only slightly more portable), itís that you can buy (especially with the Nexus 7) a very nice tablet product for $200-250.

...and I donít see an Apple 7-8Ē tablet, if it follows the current design model, being _that_ much cheaper. An iPad 2 is now $399 retail, 16GB, WiFi only, and Iíd figure the internals on a iPad Mini would be the same, and the reduction in size could even wind up costing more.

Apple loves to tout battery life across a family of products, so a 7.xxĒ tablet with 10 hours of battery life (assuming an A5, 1024x768 display) might have to use a more costly display or battery tech[?] On the other hand, they might decide to cut costs on the materials: maybe go to cheaper plastic chassis? (that would have a positive side effect of being lighter, which is a attribute the small tablet manufacturers carp about).

I think the ďmagicĒ price point is $299 (or less). So maybe an 8GB model for $299 (and the upgrade to 16GB for $50, to $349), plus if cell/3G is an option, +$ along the lines of the full sized iPad models.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:28 AM   #69
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

When it is actually announced, all those here who said it is a dumb idea and won't ever happen will suddenly be singing its praises.
AppleScruff1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:33 AM   #70
sonicboom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatgupta View Post
ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense
Not if you live in a 3rd world country, which is what Brazil is, and where the rumor says it will be manufactured.

The price has to come way down for the iPad to go mainstream there. An iPad mini may be the way to accomplish that.
sonicboom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:38 AM   #71
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Just for kicks, I was rereading all the 2010 articles covering the ipad and all the naysayers who claim that it would never work. Just a giant ipod that can't make call. I already have a laptop. No multitasking/flash = fail. Boy were they off the mark.

This thread is like deja vu all over again. But then again, even a broken down clock is correct twice a day.
Abazigal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:41 AM   #72
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=D.T.;15201474]The major factor in this is +price+.

I donít believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7Ē still wonít fit in a pocket, itís only slightly more portable)

7" won't fit in a pocket, but it will fit in a lady's purse. I have heard that complaint that the ipad is too big from multiple women that I know.
Richdmoore is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:42 AM   #73
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

I'm really not understanding all the iPad mini haters? If you don't like it, don't use it. Pretty simple.

Personally, I'm after a smaller iPad and a larger 'Prosumer' iPad that has more of an OSX feel to it. I find the current iPad both too small and too big.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:43 AM   #74
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

I think Steve Jobs was right that a tablet needs to be around 10" to be effective, but there are times when a smaller will do fine. In retrospect, maybe they should have called the current iPad line, "iPad Pro" and the smaller one just iPad
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:49 AM   #75
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virinprew View Post
I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).
Weak argument. Apple supports devices much longer than the competition. How many Android devices don't support ICS and have only ben on the market less than a year. Is it a first ten device if it just a smaller form factor? It will release with iOS6.
Macclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion