Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #126
Virinprew
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
Weak argument. Apple supports devices much longer than the competition. How many Android devices don't support ICS and have only ben on the market less than a year. Is it a first ten device if it just a smaller form factor? It will release with iOS6.
Let's see here. iPod 1 work only on Mac. iPhone 1 has no 3G, no GPS, poor speaker, poor battery, slippery case, stupid headphone jack and expensive. iPod touch 1 has no volume rocker, no speaker, no bluetooth and no free software update. New MacBook Air (2010) has two-year-old core 2 duo, no backlit keyboard and no TB port. New Mac mini (2010) has higher starting price even without DVD drive and then the price goes down in 2011 model. iPad 1 has no front camera, half RAM of iPhone 4 and no iOS 6 (while 3GS get iOS 6). New Retina MacBook Pro has lower smoothness than older pro (fps) and super expensive.
So first gen is like an experiment. Second gen is like the real product.

Last edited by Virinprew; Jul 7, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Virinprew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #127
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlasher View Post
Lets see you put an 7.85" screen in your pocket! Plenty of market for both.
Glaringly obvious for the rest of us that aren't trying to erect barriers to prevent logical thought.

3.5" = very pocket friendly

7.85 and 9.7 = More handheld and desktop use.

You're not going to see Arm Band fitness accessories for the iPad. There's still a need for iPod Touch though the sizes need to be modified perhaps (16GB minimum)
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:51 PM   #128
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
If it is released, it will have a retina display, nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:52 PM   #129
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
wrong thread

Last edited by WestonHarvey1; Jul 7, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: wrong thread
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:55 PM   #130
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
If it is released, it will have a retina display, nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.
They still sell the non Retina iPad 2. It doesn't look lame it just doesn't look as good. The choice is with the consumer.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:59 PM   #131
Yamcha
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Yeah I don't think this is happening, Apple already has an iPad 2 and the New iPad, I think adding a 7" tablet will only make things more confusing.. Apple usually doesn't do that..
Yamcha is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:00 PM   #132
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
They still sell the non Retina iPad 2. It doesn't look lame it just doesn't look as good. The choice is with the consumer.
Yes, but iPad 2 is not the latest generation. Technically its an old product that they just continue to sell to use up the parts etc. this alleged iPad mini would be a "new" product.
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:01 PM   #133
powers74
macrumors 68000
 
powers74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the bend in the river
Send a message via AIM to powers74
I don't need an iPad, I have a MacPro and an iPhone. I love them. My wife has an iPad(2). She loves it. This morning she said "I can't wait to get an iPhone so I can have something I can fit in my purse". I said, "well this fall they might be coming out with a smaller iPad, you could fit that in your purse". She was like "no no no, I don't want that, I want a nice, tiny, little iPhone!".

Anecdotal, sure, but I don't really see this smaller iPad fitting into our family, and I have a 3.5yo. I'd just as soon get another regular iPad for the money, and with the previous gens going down in price every year, I see this turning out like all the "iPhone mini" rumors of years past which turned out to be Apple continuing to sell the previous gen. models at lower prices. Why would they divert from that strategy to tool up a whole new product when they could simply reap 90% profit on tooling & manufacturing that has already paid for itself, undercutting the competition selling smaller tablets for the same price? I just don't see it.

Just like the NFC thing from earlier, I think Apple is very clever at saying "no", and I think this smaller form factor is another one of those times.
__________________
"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook."

Last edited by powers74; Jul 7, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
powers74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:03 PM   #134
heffeque
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salamanca (ES-Europe), Lancaster (PA-USA) and Fortaleza (CE-Brazil)
This brings back production to America. Good job, Apple!

Next step... maybe bring some up to the US?
heffeque is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:05 PM   #135
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I actually think i'd prefer it if they upped the iPod Touch screen to 5"-5.5" then it would stop being a useless product and instead bridge the gap between the iPhone and the iPad.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:06 PM   #136
JGowan
macrumors 68000
 
JGowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I wish that the final design for a 7" iPad would be the same dimensions as Kindle, Nook & Nexus 7... tall but not as wide... not just a shrunken iPad which would still be hard (or impossible) to fit into a suit jacket. The iPad is awesome and I've loved 1, 2 and 3, but I leave it home all the time because it's not as portable as it could be if you could somehow fit it into a pocket. I probably will buy one regardless because I can see advantages -- however at $199, I'll probably be getting the Nexus 7 too (if Apple's smaller table turns out to be the same proportionally as the current iPad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I actually think i'd prefer it if they upped the iPod Touch screen to 5"-5.5" then it would stop being a useless product and instead bridge the gap between the iPhone and the iPad.
Terrible idea. At that size, it ceases to be an iPod Touch. It becomes a different product altogether. If that's the case, you name it something different. Computers screens are different animal so I don't mind thinking it odd that there's an 11" MBA and a 13" MBA because we've always had different laptop screen sizes. I think Apple simply needs to decide on a different tablet size that's smaller and call it an iPad Mini. What they shouldn't do, IMHO, is create a smaller tablet and just keep it as an "iPad" by name. They must market it as something else.

Back to the iPod Touch. It's been around since 2007 and is entrenched by over 60,000,000 at it's current size. I wouldn't mind it getting slightly taller (as the rumors suggest the iPhone will) in order to bring it to 4". But 5-5 is just too big.
__________________
JGowan
So it kinda just comes down to... what do you want to be looking at all day long? - Steve Jobs on the Retina Display of iPhone 4

Last edited by JGowan; Jul 7, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
JGowan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:12 PM   #137
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Yeah I don't think this is happening, Apple already has an iPad 2 and the New iPad, I think adding a 7" tablet will only make things more confusing.. Apple usually doesn't do that..
iPad
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
Macbook Pro with Retina
iPhone
iPod Touch

If consumers weren't confused they wouldn't be flocking into Apple Stores to speak to the sales reps they'd just buy it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Yes, but iPad 2 is not the latest generation. Technically its an old product that they just continue to sell to use up the parts etc. this alleged iPad mini would be a "new" product.
irrelevant. Apple still sells the iPhone 3Gs and iPad 2 both are not Retina screens. It doesn't really matter if they are new or not. They are both lower priced value products which is what I see the iPad mini being. New Macbook Air and Pro hit without Retina. The argument that Apple will not deliver new product without Retina screens is mythology. They already have.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:17 PM   #138
powers74
macrumors 68000
 
powers74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the bend in the river
Send a message via AIM to powers74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGowan View Post
... it's not as portable as it could be if you could somehow fit it into a pocket.
... Sort of like an iPhone...

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.
__________________
"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook."
powers74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:25 PM   #139
JGowan
macrumors 68000
 
JGowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
... Sort of like an iPhone...

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.
Since you asked: several things would be better than the phone: Email, Photos, Web, Games but especially Reading.

Also, with the right 3rd party hardware attachment kit, a 7" at 1,280-by-800 pixel resolution would be much better for GPS and turn-by-turn Maps than an iPhone which is still too small for the car in that capacity.

Ultimately, I love the iPad "3"... when I'm home, but if I'm just running out and have a sports coat (which I frequently do), the iPad is just not an option. But a smaller tablet at the Nexus proportion would fit. Therefore I could take it with me.
__________________
JGowan
So it kinda just comes down to... what do you want to be looking at all day long? - Steve Jobs on the Retina Display of iPhone 4
JGowan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:27 PM   #140
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
You guys would see the point more if you took a more holistic view. iPads can be used in restaurants and other commercial venues (Real Estate, Insurance -doc signing). They are used in education.
iPads are already in use in all sorts of commercial ventures. I went skydiving last year and the forms and disclosures were all on an iPad. And a neighborhood restaurant (large, but not part of a chain) has all their waiters take orders on iPads which transmit directly to the kitchen. It's silly to think that everyone has been standing still waiting for a smaller iPad. The current size is not an obstacle to commerce.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:32 PM   #141
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
iPads are already in use in all sorts of commercial ventures. I went skydiving last year and the forms and disclosures were all on an iPad. And a neighborhood restaurant (large, but not part of a chain) has all their waiters take orders on iPads which transmit directly to the kitchen. It's silly to think that everyone has been standing still waiting for a smaller iPad. The current size is not an obstacle to commerce.
Point out where I said that the size was an obstacle? I never mentioned any impediments to using an iPad for business I merely stated that a smaller iPad likely still works well in a variety of vertical markets.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:40 PM   #142
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
1) If it is released, it will have a retina display,

2) nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.
1a) No it will _not_ have retina. That's too expensive for this model.

Besides while there is a difference, it's not as dramatic as many people make it out to be. I know, I have every retina equipped product that Apple currently sells.

2) Why compare? There's a use for everything, and contrary to what the newbie owners of retina devices, or MBPr say, it's not the best thing ever. Very nice? Yes. Earth shattering? No.

My retina equipped iPad 3 is quite nice, yet I'm very eager to buy a 7" iPad.

The extra portability, lighter weight for extended use, and more compact size for the times I'm on a plane will be ideal. When you're on a long flight, like crossing the ocean on the way to Barcelona, the smaller iPad will be greatly appreciated.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:43 PM   #143
tigert07
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
We would have already seen leaked parts if this had been true.
tigert07 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:46 PM   #144
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigert07 View Post
We would have already seen leaked parts if this had been true.
Did you see leaked parts of the Retina Macbook Pro? Nope.
nuckinfutz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #145
zeromeus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SOCAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...
Agreed! Plus, why'd Apple only opt for 3G when they already included 4G on it's older sibling?
zeromeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #146
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
1a) No it will _not_ have retina. That's too expensive for this model.

Besides while there is a difference, it's not as dramatic as many people make it out to be. I know, I have every retina equipped product that Apple currently sells.

2) Why compare? There's a use for everything, and contrary to what the newbie owners of retina devices, or MBPr say, it's not the best thing ever. Very nice? Yes. Earth shattering? No.

My retina equipped iPad 3 is quite nice, yet I'm very eager to buy a 7" iPad.

The extra portability, lighter weight for extended use, and more compact size for the times I'm on a plane will be ideal. When you're on a long flight, like crossing the ocean on the way to Barcelona, the smaller iPad will be greatly appreciated.
What do you really know anyway....more than me? I doubt it. I say a retina display is a given. Prove me wrong when it is not released.
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #147
mantan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: By Grabthar's Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
... Sort of like an iPhone...

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.
The biggest difference is content consumption. Watching a movie, reading a book, surfing the net on an iPad mini would be much better than doing it on an iPhone.

The bigger issue is it gives people a choice. A lot of people on this board have the myopic view that since THEY don't want one, nobody else will want one either.

If the price is right, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini rather than have everyone fight over the one we have. Of course, as soon as my wife finds out it fits in her purse (her complaint about the iPad), I'm sure she'll grab it as hers and call it day.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:15 PM   #148
Judas1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
There's a lot of room between 3.5" and 9.7", so I don't get why its so hard to believe in a 7.85" iPad. And if they could get the weight under 1 pound and have it cost less than $300, people will buy it as their preferred reading device. Its definitely not too small. There's a certain 7" device that did very well for content consumption. Hmmm....and also a 3.5" device that's just right.
Judas1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:16 PM   #149
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by olowott View Post
*The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.*

How thin is the ipod touch ? Compared with the iphone & iPad
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:16 PM   #150
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
They still sell the non Retina iPad 2. It doesn't look lame it just doesn't look as good. The choice is with the consumer.
Yah they are selling the iPad2 and what's left of their stock/components.

They aren't making more iPad2s...big difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
The biggest difference is content consumption. Watching a movie, reading a book, surfing the net on an iPad mini would be much better than doing it on an iPhone.

The bigger issue is it gives people a choice. A lot of people on this board have the myopic view that since THEY don't want one, nobody else will want one either.

If the price is right, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini rather than have everyone fight over the one we have. Of course, as soon as my wife finds out it fits in her purse (her complaint about the iPad), I'm sure she'll grab it as hers and call it day.
Yep...people are just stupid (myopic) about it. There is a market for it and your quote about your wife taking it and fitting it in her purse is EXACTLY the market they are trying to target.

People who want something larger then an iPhone but smaller then an iPad that they can just grab and go. They can take it out on the bus, train, etc and it's not too bulky. It can fit in a purse, jacket, cargo pants pocket or anything 'new' that comes out with a pocket for it. They can consume content on it and read/surf/browse, etc with ease and with a very light device that isn't 'bulky' in the sense of an ipad is for everyday commuter use.

It's going to REPLACE the iPod Touch. Don't be surprised if its just called 'iTouch'..(then we can have all the iTouch myself jokes).

Last edited by Ryth; Jul 7, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mass Production of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set for July, 5.5-Inch Version Beginning in September MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 269 Apr 18, 2014 10:39 PM
Apple Expected to Ramp Up Production of Haswell-Based Notebooks Next Month MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 189 Apr 28, 2013 11:17 PM
iMac production problem at Foxconn? Tri-stan iMac 15 Nov 25, 2012 05:29 PM
'iPad Mini' Production Reportedly Underway in Brazil MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 157 Oct 2, 2012 10:20 PM
Apple to Ramp Up 7.85″ iPad Mini Production in September? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 183 Aug 22, 2012 04:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC