Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aatuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
So I bought new macbook air 13" with 256gb SSD and I have serious battery life problems. At best I got 4.5h but regularly I keep getting 2-3.5h only with normal use (Facebook, youtube, mail and stuff). There are also some dead pixels almost in middle of the screen and it's very annoying. It's been 8 days since I bought the machine so could these kind of problems to be considered as a DOA?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you just bought it, take it back and exchange it. Apple will not give you any problems doing that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So I bought new macbook air 13" with 256gb SSD and I have serious battery life problems. At best I got 4.5h but regularly I keep getting 2-3.5h only with normal use (Facebook, youtube, mail and stuff). There are also some dead pixels almost in middle of the screen and it's very annoying. It's been 8 days since I bought the machine so could these kind of problems to be considered as a DOA?

Dead on Arrival? No. It's obviously working and not dead. :p

But you're well within the 14 days of purchase, so you can go back to the Apple Store and exchange it if you wanted to.

Have you properly calibrated the battery yet? If not, follow the steps on this page and see if that helps.

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Plus, YouTube will aid in draining the battery quicker than not using it. Watching any kind of videos for extended periods (YouTube, iTunes, Netflix etc...) will cause the CPU to run more and thus drain the battery quicker.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

Interesting how some people want to create their own definitions for words. Just because you call it DOA, doesn't make it so. Take it into a Apple store, claim it is DOA then watch them turn it on. Post back here and let us know how long they laughed at you.

aatuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Well DOA isn't maybe the best word to describe the situation^^ I was wondering if there is some specific number of dead pixels required to get screen replaced?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well DOA isn't maybe the best word to describe the situation^^ I was wondering if there is some specific number of dead pixels required to get screen replaced?

I think it is 3 or 4. However, within the first 14 days it is no questions asked. Just return it and get another one.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

No there isn't a set number. They will replace it with one dead pixel if you are truly dissatisfied with it and within the return period.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
You're within 14 days, take it back. I don't think anyone has suggested that to you yet.

aatuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
The thing is that i'm little scared to take it back since somehow I managet to get tiny scratch on the screen, noticed it today. Probably a small piece of sand or something was in between the screen and keyboard when I shut it and it made the scratch. Will it have any effect on the exchange process?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The thing is that i'm little scared to take it back since somehow I managet to get tiny scratch on the screen, noticed it today. Probably a small piece of sand or something was in between the screen and keyboard when I shut it and it made the scratch. Will it have any effect on the exchange process?

Probably not. Take it in and see about the exchange.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I was being sarcastic.
Without a Smilie, how is one to know? :rolleyes: There are a lot of lazy people who don't bother reading the whole thread. :D See the Smilies, there to the right of where you type a Message? Just click on the appropriate one to indicate sarcasm. :rolleyes:

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Without a Smilie, how is one to know? :rolleyes: There are a lot of lazy people who don't bother reading the whole thread. :D See the Smilies, there to the right of where you type a Message? Just click on the appropriate one to indicate sarcasm. :rolleyes:

No.

aatuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I got new MBA, yeah!

Downside is that there is 1 dead pixel but its on the bottom right corner so it doesn't bother me. Batterylife is way better now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.