Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semicolon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Maryland
My family is upgrading phones today, and I really want to switch from android to getting an iPhone, mainly to sync everything to my macbook. But since the iPhone 5 is potentially getting released within the next few months, should I just wait? I don't care about having THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET, I just want a good smartphone that isn't too bulky and can sync with my computer.

Right now the only major upgrade the phone seems to be getting is the aluminum backing....I don't care about a larger screen and actually hate how large my current android phone is!

I appreciate any advice!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would personally wait and see what the next iPhone offers
But the 4s is a great phone and will still be a great phone even when the next one comes out

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
My family is upgrading phones today, and I really want to switch from android to getting an iPhone, mainly to sync everything to my macbook. But since the iPhone 5 is potentially getting released within the next few months, should I just wait? I don't care about having THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET, I just want a good smartphone that isn't too bulky and can sync with my computer.

Right now the only major upgrade the phone seems to be getting is the aluminum backing....I don't care about a larger screen and actually hate how large my current android phone is!

I appreciate any advice!

Wait. You'll regret it if you buy now.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I had a similar predicament and chose to just buy what I wanted from what was on offer at the time (ended-up being a Samsung S3).

The reason? I looked at all the previous iPhones and decided they're all essentially the same - I believe the iPhone 5 will also be the same: a minor upgrade with the same form factor (probably incredibly similar to the iPhone 4/4S).

I used this as an opportunity to try something else and so far have enjoyed it and am keeping my options open.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I had a similar predicament and chose to just buy what I wanted from what was on offer at the time (ended-up being a Samsung S3).

The reason? I looked at all the previous iPhones and decided they're all essentially the same - I believe the iPhone 5 will also be the same: a minor upgrade with the same form factor (probably incredibly similar to the iPhone 4/4S).

I used this as an opportunity to try something else and so far have enjoyed it and am keeping my options open.

==========================================================
So let me just get this right, you just troll Apple boards waiting for an opportunity to interject some silly pro-Android anecdote pushing that lame ecosystem on someone wanting what is arguably the best and most coherent ecosystem available? Lakes are good for swimming. Find one and go swim.

----------

I appreciate any advice!

Then buy the 4S. It's hands down one of the best phones on the market and won't become obsolete when the 5 is introduced. Dual core, an OS that harmonizes with the sum of its parts. Great phone. Highly recommended. Ecosystem and app store are top notch. Nothing like it available.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Last July I got an HTC Evo from my local Japanese carrier and, while its an ok device = its not seamless like iOS devices are = I will be switching to what ever iPhone comes out ~July 2013 when this contract is over...

This means I will probably have to activate one of my older phones or get a pre-paid phone to use while I wait for the release cycle of the next iPhone (5S, 6, etc...):p

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Eh, if you've got the option, why not keep using your Android until the new iPhone comes out and snatch it up? Worst case scenario you may be able to get the 4S for less money, or will enjoy better resale value on your new 'the new iPhone'.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Yep, wait. If you don't want the latest and greatest, (based on previous patterns on AT&T for base models) the 3GS will be pushed out of the lineup, the 4 will be 99 cents, the 4S will be $99, and the 5 will be $199

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
==========================================================
So let me just get this right, you just troll Apple boards waiting for an opportunity to interject some silly pro-Android anecdote pushing that lame ecosystem on someone wanting what is arguably the best and most coherent ecosystem available? Lakes are good for swimming. Find one and go swim.

----------

Then buy the 4S. It's hands down one of the best phones on the market and won't become obsolete when the 5 is introduced. Dual core, an OS that harmonizes with the sum of its parts. Great phone. Highly recommended. Ecosystem and app store are top notch. Nothing like it available.

Anti-troll, and troll, all in one post? Impressive.

Apple isn't the be-all and end-all of computing and mobile devices. I have a Mac Pro, MacBooks, but I have to say - the Samsung Galaxy S3 is worthy of a second look if you're considering a new phone.

We have an iPhone 4, and an S3 - they're both great.

emilcar

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Murcia (Spain)
I would wait but I have a friend who always buys his iPhones at the end of their cycle because he obtains better prices from his network (Movistar in Spain). He does not need the best iPhone but a good iPhone for a reasonable price.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Anti-troll, and troll, all in one post? Impressive.

Apple isn't the be-all and end-all of computing and mobile devices. I have a Mac Pro, MacBooks, but I have to say - the Samsung Galaxy S3 is worthy of a second look if you're considering a new phone.

We have an iPhone 4, and an S3 - they're both great.

What's impressive is how a troll pretends to own Apple products in hopes of justifying his Samsung fanboy point of view. Galaxy S3's have been dying and Samsung has been quietly replacing them but would you include that in your post? Nope, i didn't think so. Here's a hobby you should switch to instead of trolling, it's called the rope-less bungee. It's all the rave in never-never land. Enjoy!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
There's no time like the present. I'd buy now.

Although it will be highly hyped, the upcoming model is likely to be nothing more than a warmed over iPhone 5.

Buying now offers the advantage of getting into contract sooner which will position you to be eligible for an upgrade sooner, to what will quiet likely a much more worthwhile model in the future.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thread%20Necromancy.jpeg

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
What's impressive is how a troll pretends to own Apple products in hopes of justifying his Samsung fanboy point of view. Galaxy S3's have been dying and Samsung has been quietly replacing them but would you include that in your post? Nope, i didn't think so. Here's a hobby you should switch to instead of trolling, it's called the rope-less bungee. It's all the rave in never-never land. Enjoy!

I would just wait at the moment as the iphone 5s will be around the corner.

There's no time like the present. I'd buy now.

Although it will be highly hyped, the upcoming model is likely to be nothing more than a warmed over iPhone 5.

Buying now offers the advantage of getting into contract sooner which will position you to be eligible for an upgrade sooner, to what will quiet likely a much more worthwhile model in the future.

ur a year late to the party, but thank you for your contributions. :p

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
ur a year late to the party, but thank you for your contributions. :p

Although the same does apply a year later.

We are a few months away from a new iPhone. It will have improvements. Wait if you want to have the latest device for as long as possible. Buy now if you want a cheaper deal. There are always better contract offers at the end of the cycle.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006

My S3 survived a tremendous fall (albeit very scratched up) - and I replaced it with dirt cheap parts on eBay and it is still rock solid. But, in day-to-day I'm using my iPhone 5. FaceTime etc are too much to give up.

Samsung quietly replacing them? Not in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.