Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I am planning my mac pro setup but don't have my machine yet to test anything out. I will most likely be running the 5770 GPU. Now I currently have a 20" iMac with a 20" Apple cinema display attached. They both are 1680x1050. I want to maintain a dual monitor setup, and keep the cinema display as a secondary monitor, so I am looking for a new primary display for the mac pro. I was looking at a 23" Acer full HD with 2 HDMI ports, but no DVI. Can I install a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter to hook up the 23" Acer monitor via HDMI? If so, will it be at full 1920x1080 res?

Also, another concern I have is if I have 2 displays with different resolutions will it look terrible? or even be that noticeable? Maybe I should sell the cinema display and get 2 of the same monitors? Or look for another used cinema display? What would you do?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I believe (but am not positive) that the MDP-->HDMI would give you 1920x1080. Hopefully someone else can confirm that.

Having 2 monitors with different resolutions is a personal preference issue.
I don't mind it, but I'm sure it would drive some people crazy. You won't find out until you try.

You could buy the 23" Acer, use it with the ACD. If you like the combo, then keep it. If not, sell the ACD and buy another identical Acer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.