Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:05 AM   #76
MACelmore
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is kinda along the same lines.

What kind of SD cards have you guys bought for your adaptor? SDHC? SDXC? Which class?

I have a 13" Retina if that matters.....
MACelmore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #77
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelmore View Post
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is kinda along the same lines.

What kind of SD cards have you guys bought for your adaptor? SDHC? SDXC? Which class?

I have a 13" Retina if that matters.....
Sandisk class 10.. it flys!!
__________________
Apple Macbook Pro Retina '13 (Late 2012)
OS X Mountain Lion / Intel Core i5-3210M @ 3.1GHz / 8GB DDR3 1600MHz / Retina Display @ 2560x1600 / 128GB Solid State Drive | Apple iPhone 5S
Muscle Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #78
Ploki
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelmore View Post
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is kinda along the same lines.

What kind of SD cards have you guys bought for your adaptor? SDHC? SDXC? Which class?

I have a 13" Retina if that matters.....
Actually bidding on el-cheapo SDHC, 20GBP from UK. I couldn't care less, I keep my library more or less consistent when I sort it. And its going to get sorted on internal drive before anyway.
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:33 PM   #79
rdunlap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Does anyone have any information on how to get one of these? I also want to know if they make a 128microSD card since that would be perfect for doubling my storage on my MBA.

I tried contacting the company and such but get no response back. Not very good customer service if you ask me.
rdunlap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:02 PM   #80
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000
 
pgiguere1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunlap View Post
Does anyone have any information on how to get one of these? I also want to know if they make a 128microSD card since that would be perfect for doubling my storage on my MBA.

I tried contacting the company and such but get no response back. Not very good customer service if you ask me.
I'm a Kickstarter backer and I'm following Nifty Minidrive updates pretty closely.

They are working on a new revision (Mk 3), which should be available at the end of May, before accepting sales again. It has been improved to be sturdier, eleminate potential read-only issues and comes with a new packaging. As with everything Kickstarter-related, don't be surprised if there's a delay though.

My own Nifty MiniDrive works flawlessly though. Issues are only affecting some people. I use it for my iTunes library since music doesn't require high read speed.

There are no 128GB micro SDXC cards for the moment, but they should come at some point. The theoretical limit of SDXC is 2TB.

You could always pick up one of those eBay knockoffs right now, but I personally find it unethical to steal the concept from a newly formed startup that deserve the success of their project.
pgiguere1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:50 PM   #81
rdunlap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Thank you for the info. Please let me know if you find out anything else. I was going to get the knockoff but doesn't seem as good and "regular" looking as the nifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
I'm a Kickstarter backer and I'm following Nifty Minidrive updates pretty closely.

They are working on a new revision (Mk 3), which should be available at the end of May, before accepting sales again. It has been improved to be sturdier, eleminate potential read-only issues and comes with a new packaging. As with everything Kickstarter-related, don't be surprised if there's a delay though.

My own Nifty MiniDrive works flawlessly though. Issues are only affecting some people. I use it for my iTunes library since music doesn't require high read speed.

There are no 128GB micro SDXC cards for the moment, but they should come at some point. The theoretical limit of SDXC is 2TB.

You could always pick up one of those eBay knockoffs right now, but I personally find it unethical to steal the concept from a newly formed startup that deserve the success of their project.
rdunlap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:47 PM   #82
Still100
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Nifty Mini Drive - MicroSD adapter

I need to make one of these for my rmbp 13". Has anyone made one that works? since none of these companies are making one

Last edited by Still100; Mar 26, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Still100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:24 PM   #83
pat12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still100 View Post
I need to make one of these for my rmbp 13". Has anyone made one that works? since none of these companies are making one
I have looked everywhere but I havenīt found a good solution for the rmbp 13" yet..
pat12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:10 PM   #84
ColdCase
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NH
This

http://www.amazon.com/MiniDrive-micr...ve+macbook+air

or this. If the 13 in is the same as my 15rMBP, you sand off the grey plastic to near flush with the card to make it fit.

http://www.amazon.com/The-MiniDrive-...ve+macbook+air
__________________
MiniServer (2012-2.3-i7-8-120SSD-1TBHD), rMBP15 (2014-SJE1-2.6-16-SM1024), LG27EA83D, SYDS212JK2, LaCie Big5s, MacBooks, iMacs, AppleTVs, Time Capsules, AEBSs, MacPro early 08, some older stuff.
ColdCase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:40 PM   #85
MACelmore
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
[QUOTE=ColdCase;17067418]This

http://www.amazon.com/MiniDrive-micr...ve+macbook+air

That doesn't fit the rMBP (13" at least). I bought one and had to cut it down to size.
MACelmore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:34 PM   #86
ColdCase
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NH
[QUOTE=MACelmore;17067906]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
This

http://www.amazon.com/MiniDrive-micr...ve+macbook+air

That doesn't fit the rMBP (13" at least). I bought one and had to cut it down to size.
Yeah, thats what I said, you have to sand down the gray piece to almost flush with the black card, a size that fits into the rMBP slot.
__________________
MiniServer (2012-2.3-i7-8-120SSD-1TBHD), rMBP15 (2014-SJE1-2.6-16-SM1024), LG27EA83D, SYDS212JK2, LaCie Big5s, MacBooks, iMacs, AppleTVs, Time Capsules, AEBSs, MacPro early 08, some older stuff.
ColdCase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:34 AM   #87
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
The apotop ones are finally in the UK Just had an email from a company called MyMemory (a bit like 7DayShop for those in the UK who havent heard of them) with this: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Car...o-Sd-Card-Slot

Ordered a pack, I can live with a tiny little bit sticking out. From the looks of things the Nifty MiniDrive is a colossal failure, with most drives being DOA or breaking due to poor glue. The guys running it seem to be pissing around way too much too.

I looked at the ones on eBay but really dont fancy risking blowing my SD port with some dodgy hand made adaptor.

So yeah, got a pack of 3 apotop's and a Samsung 70MB/s 64GB Micro SD Pro from Amazon on the way (for anyone in the market, The Samsung card is faster than the Sandisk 64GB one on offer from the looks of most benchmarks).
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:56 AM   #88
fskywalker
macrumors 65816
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I just ordered one of this at Ebay, now all I need is the micro SD card. The best deal I have seen for a class 10 64GB card from Sandisk is around $55; has someone seen a better deal?

Thanks
__________________
'13 Haswell rMBP 13" 2.8/16/1TB (A18 Display)
'12 13" MBA 1.7/4/256 (Wife), '12 rMBP 13" 2.5/8/256, A13 Display (Daughter)
'12 I5/64/7.0.4 JB, Ipad 4 32GB LTE, '12 Mac Mini 2.5/500 & 120GB SSD
fskywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:18 AM   #89
ColdCase
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
I just ordered one of this at Ebay, now all I need is the micro SD card. The best deal I have seen for a class 10 64GB card from Sandisk is around $55; has someone seen a better deal?

Thanks
Thats the best I saw when I shopped two weeks ago.

Black magic says I get 10MBps writes and 45MBps reads with that card in my recent rMBP 15.
__________________
MiniServer (2012-2.3-i7-8-120SSD-1TBHD), rMBP15 (2014-SJE1-2.6-16-SM1024), LG27EA83D, SYDS212JK2, LaCie Big5s, MacBooks, iMacs, AppleTVs, Time Capsules, AEBSs, MacPro early 08, some older stuff.
ColdCase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:19 AM   #90
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
I just ordered one of this at Ebay, now all I need is the micro SD card. The best deal I have seen for a class 10 64GB card from Sandisk is around $55; has someone seen a better deal?

Thanks
Make sure you dont buy the SD card from eBay - not worth the risk given that 99% of them will be fakes!
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:55 PM   #91
pat12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
[QUOTE=ColdCase;17068100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACelmore View Post

Yeah, thats what I said, you have to sand down the gray piece to almost flush with the black card, a size that fits into the rMBP slot.
How exactly did you cut the card? The length, thickness? Explain please so I right, thanks in advance.

I have 13" Retina.
pat12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:51 PM   #92
ColdCase
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat12 View Post

How exactly did you cut the card? The length, thickness? Explain please so I right, thanks in advance.

I have 13" Retina.

Its not so much a cut. You sand off just enough excess plastic so the card is thin enough to slide into the rMBP SD slot without interference. Its kinda obvious once you have one in hand.

This modified adapter is not something that useful for routine removal or insertion.
__________________
MiniServer (2012-2.3-i7-8-120SSD-1TBHD), rMBP15 (2014-SJE1-2.6-16-SM1024), LG27EA83D, SYDS212JK2, LaCie Big5s, MacBooks, iMacs, AppleTVs, Time Capsules, AEBSs, MacPro early 08, some older stuff.

Last edited by ColdCase; Apr 10, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
ColdCase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:58 PM   #93
a.coward
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I thought I'd take some time to post the result of my DIY SD card
adapter for the 15" Retina MBP.

I basically modified the eBay'd adapters posted earlier in this thread.
I started off by using an x-acto knife to cut off the USB plug portion
of the adapter. I was impressed that I was able to pretty much chop
the whole thing off, unlike some earlier adapters mentioned in other
threads which said that if you cut off to much, the adapter would fail.

However, I wanted a "cleaner" look, without the visibility of tape.
So, what I did was cut off the "rails" of the USB plug's protective
cover and epoxied the tip to the edge of the modified adapter (after
carefully measuring how much to cut off so that the adapter is flush
with the MBP). I'm not sure if this is clear, but hopefully the attached
images will be self explanatory.

Now, the issue was how to remove the adapter from the MBP. So,
what I did was bent a paper clip so that I could use it to pull out
the adapter from the MBP from the edges. It's a bit of a pain to
remove, but it does work. And because the edge is smooth, black
and has no latches (like the Nifty), it's really difficult to see that there
is an adapter in the SD card slot at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010326.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	408765   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010330.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	408766   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010335.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	408767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010336.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	408768   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010337.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	408769  
a.coward is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:46 AM   #94
fskywalker
macrumors 65816
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Nice job! I bought a Nifty but am expecting the arrival of my 64GB card to try it.
__________________
'13 Haswell rMBP 13" 2.8/16/1TB (A18 Display)
'12 13" MBA 1.7/4/256 (Wife), '12 rMBP 13" 2.5/8/256, A13 Display (Daughter)
'12 I5/64/7.0.4 JB, Ipad 4 32GB LTE, '12 Mac Mini 2.5/500 & 120GB SSD
fskywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:04 PM   #95
fskywalker
macrumors 65816
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I got my micro SD card and installed it on the Nifty; the adapter did not completely slide into the machine due to the fact the outside border thickness was too big. I had to reduce it a bit with the help of a knife and now it fits perfectly, had just added 64GB of memory (SanDisk Class 10) to my machine
__________________
'13 Haswell rMBP 13" 2.8/16/1TB (A18 Display)
'12 13" MBA 1.7/4/256 (Wife), '12 rMBP 13" 2.5/8/256, A13 Display (Daughter)
'12 I5/64/7.0.4 JB, Ipad 4 32GB LTE, '12 Mac Mini 2.5/500 & 120GB SSD
fskywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:10 PM   #96
otherjobs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
There is nothing revolutionary in this 'invention'.
I have disassembled a broken SD card, and found out that
there are no chips/traces at the bottom half of it - only plastic.

That means, you could make your own "Nifty Mini Drive"
by simply cutting a bottom plastic part of the SD card!
Of course, that would not look nice, but much cheaper solution.
otherjobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:18 PM   #97
fskywalker
macrumors 65816
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherjobs View Post
There is nothing revolutionary in this 'invention'.
I have disassembled a broken SD card, and found out that
there are no chips/traces at the bottom half of it - only plastic.

That means, you could make your own "Nifty Mini Drive"
by simply cutting a bottom plastic part of the SD card!
Of course, that would not look nice, but much cheaper solution.
Good to know, the only issue would be how to remove it once it is installed; the Nifty drive has a hole through which you slide a thin wire to pull it, would be harder to get out without it
__________________
'13 Haswell rMBP 13" 2.8/16/1TB (A18 Display)
'12 13" MBA 1.7/4/256 (Wife), '12 rMBP 13" 2.5/8/256, A13 Display (Daughter)
'12 I5/64/7.0.4 JB, Ipad 4 32GB LTE, '12 Mac Mini 2.5/500 & 120GB SSD
fskywalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:28 PM   #98
otherjobs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Good to know, the only issue would be how to remove it once it is installed; the Nifty drive has a hole through which you slide a thin wire to pull it, would be harder to get out without it
Yes that would be a problem and modded card doesnt look nice,
but this way you don't have to pledge wait and pay more.

My SD card was from SanDisk, but I believe that
most (if not all) SD cards have the same construction.
otherjobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 08:46 AM   #99
ratboy90
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Sorry to revive this thread but if I'm using the mini drive to play music from through iTunes, what SD card speed class should I get? Are the cheapo class 4s enough?
ratboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:10 PM   #100
fskywalker
macrumors 65816
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy90 View Post
Sorry to revive this thread but if I'm using the mini drive to play music from through iTunes, what SD card speed class should I get? Are the cheapo class 4s enough?
I bought a class 10 64GB card for $50, don't know the speed of a class 4s
__________________
'13 Haswell rMBP 13" 2.8/16/1TB (A18 Display)
'12 13" MBA 1.7/4/256 (Wife), '12 rMBP 13" 2.5/8/256, A13 Display (Daughter)
'12 I5/64/7.0.4 JB, Ipad 4 32GB LTE, '12 Mac Mini 2.5/500 & 120GB SSD
fskywalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think I should buy the PNY StorEdge or the Nifty Mini Drive for MBPr? Hieveryone MacBook Pro 37 May 21, 2014 09:48 PM
Safest Option: USB Flash Drive or microSD with Adapter? Kelped MacBook Air 4 Mar 28, 2013 11:42 PM
Using Micro SD card with Nifty Mini Drive for OS and apps theteeth MacBook Pro 6 Jul 27, 2012 06:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC