Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
My girlfriend somehow got a pill or something of that size stuck in it. I personally have not tried to get it out yet, but she said she tried all of the basics. Is there anyway I can open it and get it out? Would it be easier to get out if the optical drive was removed from the computer? Is there any site I can pay to fix it for me? BestBuy offered $54 with no guarantee, kinda a joke if you ask me. I am not quite sure what the model is, my educated guess is the 2010 macbook pro 13" model. Do you suggest a site or buyer to purchase a new drive from? Thanks for your help, and sorry for the vagueness. If you have any questions that might be beneficial, let me know and I'll ask her!

tninety

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Banned!
You can get replacement Superdrives off eBay for less than $50 :confused: Just follow the instructions for installing an optical HDD caddy except replace the drive instead of replacing it with the HDD.

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
@tninety - I'm looking on ebay, but so far am a bit unsure which one to purchase (not sure what the model number is for a 2010 macbook pro 13" drive).

@jav6454 - It is in the optical drive itself... I have no idea how she got it there, just trying to find the cheapest way to fix it!

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
Was she trying trip your laptop up?

If she wanted to do that, she could have just downloaded a psychedelic screensaver.

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
You would choose ifixit over ebay? ifixit seems crazy expensive to me. $200 for a new drive?!?!

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
The title of this thread...it's just a prelude for inappropriate theories as to this event.

And if I were you, I'd just take it to the Apple Store and deal with the price.

aesir911

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I'm not paying Apple to do something that I can easily do for myself hundreds of dollars cheaper...

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not paying Apple to do something that I can easily do for myself hundreds of dollars cheaper...

It's funny you say that but are here asking for help. These are usually the people that end up breaking there devices even further.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010

I've gotten an sd card stuck in my iMac's optical drive, took it to apple and the removed it free of charge. They just took the optical drive out and dissembled it to get the card out. It only took about 30 min. Before I took it there I had tried for nearly 2 hours to pull it out with tweezers, toothpicks with glue on the end ect. Nothing worked. Try taking it to apple.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Honestly, women need to be more responsible for birth control. They can't go around just putting pills wherever they please.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I've gotten an sd card stuck in my iMac's optical drive, took it to apple and the removed it free of charge. They just took the optical drive out and dissembled it to get the card out. It only took about 30 min. Before I took it there I had tried for nearly 2 hours to pull it out with tweezers, toothpicks with glue on the end ect. Nothing worked. Try taking it to apple.

I agree. Take it to Apple first. At worst they'll laugh at you and say they'll do it for an arm and a leg (at which point you can say no thanks and try it yourself via eBay or send it to iFixit). At best, they'll just remove the drive to get to the pill, and then send you off free of charge (while probably making jokes about birth control for the rest of the day). They wont charge you just for looking at it, and them just removing the drive beats having to pay for an entirely new one.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Find an apple authorized provider or read up on some guides easily found online, take the optical drive out.
Then you can unscrew the top portion of the optical drive and extract the item out that way, don't try to force it out the optical drive slot, will probably do more damage.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
You'll save lots of time to just buy one off ebay. You can try and get it out of the drive yourself but if the pill ruptures in the drive the contents will spill on the laser eye and it will be impossible to repair. Any scratches to it or particles on it will just destroy it.

----------

All that matters is that the cable plugs into the drive. There are 2 types that I know if. IDE and SATA. IDE looks like a socket plug, different from your 3.5 IDE drive - it looks more like a inch wide and 1/4 centimeter height plug where SATA looks like your normal SATA drive.

You'll have to open up your MAC and see what kind of cable it has. Unless someone here knows for sure on the 2010 macs.

Would this fit the 2010 model as well?

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
If you're already gonna have to open the computer to replace the drive, why not try removing the pill from the current drive (and not buying anything). You'd be surprised by how different things look when you get to the bare drive level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.