Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Siri and its competitors have shown increasing promise as personal assistants. What would you like to be to tell or ask of Siri going forward? What else would make Siri a better assisstant?

What are the hours of Mimi's Café?
Where can I print?
When is the next episode of Big Bang Theory?
What channel is House Hunters on?
When is the next Bears game?
What is my checking account balance?
Pay the rent
Buy me 4 tickets for a showing of Spiderman at Flix Brewhouse that is
Order a pepperoni pizza from Papa John's for delivery and give a 25% tip.
Record all new episodes of the Real Housewives of New Jersey (even if you're away from home)
How much is a flight to Paris that leaves November 4th and returns on the fourteenth?
How long will it take for me to accomplish all the tasks in my 2Do list today?
When is my doctor's appointment?
Turn on/off airplane mode, wifi, bluetooth.
Connect to my headphones via bluetooth
Launch downcast at 2am everyday
I had a sweet onion chicken teriyaki 6" at subway with sun chips and a 20 ounce water for lunch (thus recording it in loseit!)
I weigh 220 (thus charting the progress in loseit! and showing trajectories toward the goal)

Make it easier for apps to write on the iOS calendar. I have several time/date related apps. I would love to have one unified place to look at all that data so that I can see my appointments, tasks, holidays, tv shows, and various other events that I may opt in or out of. It would be even better if there was a view for things you have pinned to the calendar and a second view for the larger collection of events.
Group contacts so I can say ask my friends in Austin if they want to meet up to see Spiderman or collect restaurants or coworkers into groups.
Color code contacts, especially SMS so I never text the wrong person anything embarrassing.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I think the next iterations of Siri need to introduce more commands that result in Siri doing something for you, not just giving you information. In addition, the ability to have the task performed in the background so you don't get bounced out of the app you're in.

Posting in MR and want music? Siri Start Playing Pandora (pause, next song, stop too)
Looking at photos and want to send one? Siri send this to Joe Smith.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Things like that will take tons of coding on apple's end. And apple isnt known to do things like that.

Are you kidding? Apple does things that make sense to them. They don't shy away from things that are complicated to implement, only things that are complicated to use. I don't see all of the OP's suggestions being implemented, but many of them are very likely. They all hinge around one key thing: a developer API for Siri. Once developers can leverage Siri directly, we'll see most of that come about.

jW

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Siri and its competitors have shown increasing promise as personal assistants. What would you like to be to tell or ask of Siri going forward? What else would make Siri a better assisstant?

What are the hours of Mimi's Café?
Where can I print?
When is the next episode of Big Bang Theory?
What channel is House Hunters on?
When is the next Bears game?
What is my checking account balance?
Pay the rent
Buy me 4 tickets for a showing of Spiderman at Flix Brewhouse that is
Order a pepperoni pizza from Papa John's for delivery and give a 25% tip.
Record all new episodes of the Real Housewives of New Jersey (even if you're away from home)
How much is a flight to Paris that leaves November 4th and returns on the fourteenth?
How long will it take for me to accomplish all the tasks in my 2Do list today?
When is my doctor's appointment?
Turn on/off airplane mode, wifi, bluetooth.
Connect to my headphones via bluetooth
Launch downcast at 2am everyday
I had a sweet onion chicken teriyaki 6" at subway with sun chips and a 20 ounce water for lunch (thus recording it in loseit!)
I weigh 220 (thus charting the progress in loseit! and showing trajectories toward the goal)

Make it easier for apps to write on the iOS calendar. I have several time/date related apps. I would love to have one unified place to look at all that data so that I can see my appointments, tasks, holidays, tv shows, and various other events that I may opt in or out of. It would be even better if there was a view for things you have pinned to the calendar and a second view for the larger collection of events.
Group contacts so I can say ask my friends in Austin if they want to meet up to see Spiderman or collect restaurants or coworkers into groups.
Color code contacts, especially SMS so I never text the wrong person anything embarrassing.

Gee, it sounds like the OP needs more control in his life.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I'd like it faster, instantaneous. Google Now's performance is amazing, and when Google will implement system wide control, it'll defenitely overwhelm Siri in my opinion.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Gee, it sounds like the OP needs more control in his life.

No, I tried to take the idea to a logical conclusion. What are some common, simple tasks that a personal assistant could handle. Then as I played with the idea I realized that the only limitation of the iphone as an assistant is not having a body. Each of the requests seem simple, straight forward, and common. I'm sure Siri could figure it out if Siri were just taught to look for a slightly larger set of queries, which it could be clued in on by the apps you have and other information.
I will admit Apple probably doesn't want to do all of that, but it also seems like a large task to ask of the programmers as well. I honestly feel like Siri should at least be able to answer the questions Yahoo could ten years ago with a goal of giving me an awesome assistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.