Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neeliosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
New York, NY
So alright, I bought an Xserve back in March for $90 on eBay, shipping and tax included (A freaking steal!) to use as a cheap little home server. I put it in my closet as soon as I got it only to forget about it and never think of it again. While doing a little cleaning this week, I found it there sitting in my closet.

So I boot it up and there's a password on it. I guess that was from the previous owner, so I take out the HDD and plugged it in my Hackintosh to wipe it. That worked fine. Now, my problem is that I can't get it to recognize any volume what-so-ever. I've tried USB 10.5 installation drives, and I've even tried to install the OS on another computer and putting it into the Xserve, but nada.

It doesn't have a DVD drive since it's a Cluster Node version, but it does have a GPU installed. The only problem is that I can't get it to freaking boot the installation drive.

Any advice? :mad:

Also, please excuse my poor grammar as it is early in the morning.

Edit: It has a Firewire port, so I can't really use an external DVD drive.

Last edited:

300DDR

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
You have an server OS install disk right? If so, boot up using external optical drive (or are you saying there is no usb port?). If that doesn't work, put disk in another computer, use firewire target mode, boot off disk, install OS. If that doesn't work, use Disk Utility to clone OS install disk to external drive, boot off external drive. One of those should work for ya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.