Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodruffe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Hi,

Hope people can help. I recently bought my first mac and have been very happy with it so far. I was using an old Buffalo Linkstation to backup but this was slow and it's been hammered over the years so I decided to splurge a bit more and buy a 2TB time capsule for my 2012 MacBook Pro.

The Linkstation is still used as an iTunes/Media server with a USB attached in a semi sort of raid configuration so I have the backups if needed - anyway, I digress.

I live in an old terrace which is very long and the wifi signal provided by my Virgin Media SuperHub never reaches the upstairs back of the house where most of the electonics live so I thought that the TC would double as a wifi hotspot there and provide better coverage.

The setup I have is SuperHub ---> Homeplug ----> Through wiring ----> Homeplug ----> TC

There are other switches and gadgets attached but this is the main 'spine' of my network. The homeplugs have always worked well and provide a decent signal and there is very little drop off so I know the forthcoming issues are not to do with them.

The Superhub has a IP range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99. I have given the TC a fixed IP of 192.168.0.99. The TC is in bridge mode. The Superhub deals with the DCHP stuff and supplies all the IP addresses for everything else (Sonos System, iPhones, iPads, Win PC's etc...) The TC has the same netowrk name and security protocols as the SuperHub. I have opened up port 548 on the SuperHub and forwarded it onto the TC and have no firewall on the SuperHub running, it's a software one on all the relevant machines.

Now, when I am at the 'back' of the house and using the TC to access the nework the MacBook see's the TC in both wired and wireless mode and can back up whenever it sees fit. However, when I move to the front of the house and I assume use the SuperHub to access the network the MB can no longer see the TC. The Linkstation runs off on a branch from the SuperHub to another room and this is visible no matter which access point I use.

The final thing which happens, usually daily is that the TC seems to give out (or not give out more accurately) IP address in the 196.168.X.X range. Consequently, no gadget using the TC as an access point can get online and a reset is needed of the network to get everything 'talking' again.

I had envisisged a seemelss intergration between the two points through the house with no issues, however, this does not seem to be the case.

Now, is it a problem with my settings and general ineptidue, have I missed something I should have done? Is the SuperHub to blame? Is the TC messing things up?

Any help greatly appreciated.

sgjohnston

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
The Superhub has a IP range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99. I have given the TC a fixed IP of 192.168.0.99. The TC is in bridge mode. The Superhub deals with the DCHP stuff and supplies all the IP addresses for everything else (Sonos System, iPhones, iPads, Win PC's etc...) The TC has the same netowrk name and security protocols as the SuperHub. I have opened up port 548 on the SuperHub and forwarded it onto the TC and have no firewall on the SuperHub running, it's a software one on all the relevant machines.

You should either let the TC get an IP address via DHCP from the SuperHub, or (probably better) give it a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP range on the SuperHub - eg 192.168.0.100. This probably isn't the problem you described, but the way you have configured you might end up with a duplicate IP if the SH gave out this address to someone else.

Now, when I am at the 'back' of the house and using the TC to access the nework the MacBook see's the TC in both wired and wireless mode and can back up whenever it sees fit. However, when I move to the front of the house and I assume use the SuperHub to access the network the MB can no longer see the TC. The Linkstation runs off on a branch from the SuperHub to another room and this is visible no matter which access point I use.

Can you ping the TC when you are at the front of the house? This should work fine, unless the SH is doing something weird because you are using an address in its range which hasn't been served by it. Try setting the TC address to 192.168.0.100 as above. Also, make sure that the TC has the correct subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0) and gateway (the SH) set.

The final thing which happens, usually daily is that the TC seems to give out (or not give out more accurately) IP address in the 196.168.X.X range. Consequently, no gadget using the TC as an access point can get online and a reset is needed of the network to get everything 'talking' again.

You should disable DHCP on the TC, addresses should be provided only from the SH.

Cheers,
Stuart

Woodruffe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks for all that.

Firstly I have made the changes suggested and it is during these changes that things became even more curious.

I attached a huge length of Cat6 from the SH to the TC to see if it was the home plugs which were causing an issue and after rebooting everything I could see the TC from the SH access point. I thought that had solved it! However, removing the Cat6 and replacing the homeplugs gave me the same result :eek:

The only issue being - when the homeplugs had been plugged in/effectively reset it messed with the SH settings and it no longer gave out any IP adresses through the network so gadgets could not connect.

After a day researching and pondering this at work I came home and ran a few experiments (I'm a Science Teacher :)) If I reset the homeplugs on a stable network the TC is available from both access points but the SH does not give out IP addresses so any wireless device can connect.

If I reset the SH so the server starts giving out IP adresses correctly the TC is no longer visable or pingable from any access point in the house....

This, to me means, the SH is not reliable enough to act as a router and I need to consider an upgrade (suggestions welcome - I was looking at the Linksys E4200) or the homeplugs are not great and I need to persuade the better half that Cat6 running upstairs and through walls isn't all that bad :rolleyes:

Some more investigations are needed....

Ben

Woodruffe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
I don't think so - when running it as a fully Windows network everything spoke to each other quite nicely.

I've been playing around this evening and I moved the TC next to the SH. I turned off the routing capabilities on the SH and put it in modem mode and then attached the TC as a router.

It all worked very nicely together and I got a decent throughput but nothing significantly better than the SH was originally.

I then took the MacBook upstairs, hardwired it in and could see the TC without a problem - however - when a time machine backup initiated it did not complete. I am thinking there is to much noise on the powerline adaptors?

I have resigned myself to the fact that the TC lives at the back and ensures a solid wireless signal throughout the house and I back up from there rather than having the TC accessible from everywhere.

Either that or save and buy an Airport Extreme and network the whole house with Apple gear ;)

Can I please thank everyone for the help and advice I have received, I really appreciate it.

Woodruffe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Two things.....

1) I am an idiot.

2) I've got it sorted - sort of!

Lengthy chat with an Apple senior tech resulted in the following advice:
1) Try and use a TC as an extender - don't create a new network, even at channels 1 and 11 wireless hubs will interfere.
2) To see a TC anywhere on a network use one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port as I had stupidly done.

It still doesn't like creating it's own network and running alongside the exisiting one but if I turn the wifi off and access it wired upstairs (which will usually be the case) and wireless downstairs through the SH it will work brilliantly.

I'm not normally one for shouting out my stupid mistakes but I've always found forums work better for advice if the whole story is given so I'm prepared to take one for the team :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.