Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
ADV Films has sent out a Press Release confirming Monday's news that they were launching an all Anime Cable Channel.ADV Films has confirmed reports that they are working to create a cable television channel dedicated to Anime. Currently they are releasing very few details about the channel itself. All that has been publicized at this time is that the channel will run 24 hours a day and will break its content into four categories, Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts.

The press release:

ADV Films today announced publicly the creation of The Anime Network(tm), the first television channel in North America dedicated to anime (Japanese animation) and anime-related content. The Anime Network(tm) targets the nation's estimated 85 million cable television subscribers, and seeks to capitalize on cable's increasing dominance in the world of at-home entertainment.

Initially announced in June, 2002 at ADV Films' 10th Anniversary party in Tokyo, and announced in the U.S. at ADV's November 2 invitation-only 10th Anniversary party in Houston, the creation of The Anime Network(tm) has the industry abuzz with excitement and speculation.

"This has been in the works for some time," said ADV Films President, Founder and CEO John Ledford. "Until now, the market and the culture haven't been ready for it. But today ever-increasing numbers of Americans are becoming familiar with anime and its distinctive aesthetic; they're curious about anime, they're hungry for it, and The Anime Network(tm) is going to deliver it right to their televisions."

Competitive Advantage

While existing cable outlets have enjoyed strong ratings with limited blocks of anime and anime-inspired animated programming, The Anime Network(tm) will make fine anime programming available to viewers 24 hours a day.

"The Anime Network(tm) is the next logical step," said Ledford. "The television outlets that currently carry anime aren't meeting the potential demand; they offer very limited selections of titles, and only during very restricted hours. The Anime Network(tm) will change all of that, and we're excited to be leading the revolution."

Content

The Anime Network(tm) model is structured around four categorized content areas: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. These categories are designed to include virtually the entire spectrum of quality anime, while contextualizing content for new viewers unfamiliar with specific titles.

Coming Up

Coming soon, releases detailing geographic/service provider availability of The Anime Network,(tm) along with information about whom viewers can call regarding local availability; also, a sneak preview of programming that will be available in The Anime Network(tm)'s first months.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ha, that should be cool, I wonder if we'll get it here in DC?

I was flipping the channels late last weekend and came across Akira - hadn't ever seen that before, its was ok, cool animation, but I felt it left me hanging at the end. Princess Monoko (sp?) is still played here and there - maybe I'll catch that next time.

D

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
that would be about the coolest thing to happen since they got rid of saturday morning anime on sci-fi, cooler even! i just hope they dont use the bad dubbed ones like inuyasha and card captors, but real anime like cowboy bebop, lain, giant robo, el hazard, et al...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.