Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Mac world and have only owned my mid-2010 iMac for about 3 weeks - I bought it 2nd-hand from the step-father of a mate and it's about a year old, and just out of warranty. It's the 21.5” version and has been updated to OS X Lion.

Basically, I'm just wondering whether or not the temperatures that iStat Pro is showing me are okay/normal?
I know this topic has been done to death in the forum - I've seen and read several posts regarding this - but I decided to post my exact temperature readings so that one of the experts here could give me some feedback directly relating to what I'm seeing.

Like I said, I'm really very new to all this - I understand that the iMac aluminium frame acts as a giant heat-sink; I'm just not used to being able to feel the heat actually coming away from a computer system like this, nor using a system which is as quiet as this (and unlike my old HP laptop, for example, not hearing the fans running on full all the time!).

The Average Temperature usually starts off around 28 - 32 degrees C; the highest I've ever seen it is about 50 – 52 degrees C. Ambient Temperature usually holds steady around 27 degrees C.

Thanks in advance guys – I'm really just looking for some peace of mind here as I love everything else about iMac and OS X :)

This is what iStat Pro shows after approximately 1 ½ hours of operation - all I've been doing is googling on the Internet, chatting on FB and listening to Spotify, with the occasional YT video thrown into the mix:

Attachments

• iStat Pro Temps.png
    iStat Pro Temps.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 315

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Mac world and have only owned my mid-2010 iMac for about 3 weeks - I bought it 2nd-hand from the step-father of a mate and it's about a year old, and just out of warranty. It's the 21.5” version and has been updated to OS X Lion.

Basically, I'm just wondering whether or not the temperatures that iStat Pro is showing me are okay/normal?
I know this topic has been done to death in the forum - I've seen and read several posts regarding this - but I decided to post my exact temperature readings so that one of the experts here could give me some feedback directly relating to what I'm seeing.

Like I said, I'm really very new to all this - I understand that the iMac aluminium frame acts as a giant heat-sink; I'm just not used to being able to feel the heat actually coming away from a computer system like this, nor using a system which is as quiet as this (and unlike my old HP laptop, for example, not hearing the fans running on full all the time!).

The Average Temperature usually starts off around 28 - 32 degrees C; the highest I've ever seen it is about 50 – 52 degrees C. Ambient Temperature usually holds steady around 27 degrees C.

Thanks in advance guys – I'm really just looking for some peace of mind here as I love everything else about iMac and OS X :)

This is what iStat Pro shows after approximately 1 ½ hours of operation - all I've been doing is googling on the Internet, chatting on FB and listening to Spotify, with the occasional YT video thrown into the mix:

The temperatures are normal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.