Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
UK
I sold my Macbook Pro in my sig a few months ago, but now I have just landed a new job and I'm in need again of a laptop.

For home use I can get by with just my Gaming Desktop - but my job requires a laptop to take with me.

My old Macbook Pro had just a Core 2 Duo, which was plenty enough for my small usage of Word Docs/Spreadsheets/Powerpoint Presentations/Browsing/iTunes etc.

If I had any choice, I would go with a White Macbook, I still think it's a shame Apple don't do an "entry" level Macbook anymore, such as the Mac Mini for the Desktop version.

This is why my attention has now come to the 11" Macbook Air. As it is the lowest price point, it is by all rights and intents the new Apple Entry level laptop. I'm just a little concerned that 11" may be too small.

My other question was, I have a few friends who are uni students, if I wait until September will the back to school Free iPod Touch offer likely be active this year - Did Apple do it last year for instance?

TL:DR - Need a new laptop. I want an Apple laptop (Windows laptops are painful) but I'm looking for an entry level cheap options - Thoughts/advice?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Back to School is already in effect for this year. You get a $100 iTunes gift card (also valid in the Mac app store) when you purchase a Mac with the education discount.

I think that the Macbook Air would probably be great for your use, especially since you have a desktop.

11" vs 13" is personal preference, but the 13" also has longer battery life and an SD card slot.

Check them out in person if you can.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Go to a store and check the 11" out yourself... if it feels to small, you can surely scrap a few more bucks together to get the base 13" model ;)

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
11" will be too small. Get the 13" MBA and if you can't afford it then get a refurb 2011 13" MBA from Apple. Make sure you get the 4gb if you get the 2011 and get the 8gb if you get the 2012.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The 11" is plenty for me, but note that the 13" has been lowered to $1200, and comes with the 128GB SSD, so it could be a good choice, as well.

If you are looking for something a bit cheaper, consider a refurbished 2011. They are almost as good (they lack USB 3.0 and have a slower graphics processor, but otherwise are very similar).

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
I'm in almost the same boat as you. I'm close to selling my MBP and getting an Air. I'm leaning towards the 13" since ~$200 isn't that large of a difference, and the increased screen real estate, battery life, and SD card reader are what I'm interested in.

I'm also probably going to upgrade to 8GB RAM. :p

I'm just curious: what job do you work?

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
The 13 is an ideal day to day laptop. I had the 11'' for about a week and it was usable but the screen size was limiting. It's usable but the 13'' has a lot more room. Once you add the 128GB HD to the 11'' it's a $100 less than the 13''.

I still think they are good choices and the 13'' is a better choice for most. However I would take the 11 over any other ultra book.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The 13 is an ideal day to day laptop. I had the 11'' for about a week and it was usable but the screen size was limiting. It's usable but the 13'' has a lot more room. Once you add the 128GB HD to the 11'' it's a $100 less than the 13''.

I still think they are good choices and the 13'' is a better choice for most. However I would take the 11 over any other ultra book.

I agree. If my firm adopts a BYOD policy (not likely), I'd get the 13" MacBook Air because of the additional real estate on the screen. Since I already have a Windows notebook for work, I opted for the 11" MacBook Air as a secondary/home device. The 11" is great on an airplane, and occasionally I'll read work-related PDFs, etc. on it rather than take out my bulky Windows notebook (we haven't adopted Ultrabooks yet).

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
UK
As a few of you have mentioned, it is only a little more for a 13" Air, but then that is £999 or with edu discount £850, but that is for a laptop I will only be doing basic tasks on. I do wish the Macbook White still existed. It would be spot on perfect for my needs. I may take a look at refurbs, or even the second hand market, but where possible I do prefer to buy new, especially as with an edu purchase it is only £40 for Apple Care, which is great.

I'm in almost the same boat as you. I'm close to selling my MBP and getting an Air. I'm leaning towards the 13" since ~$200 isn't that large of a difference, and the increased screen real estate, battery life, and SD card reader are what I'm interested in.

I'm also probably going to upgrade to 8GB RAM. :p

I'm just curious: what job do you work?

As for my job, I work for an online games company. This sometimes requires travelling as there are different offices across the country/europe. Presentations / Word Docs / Spreadsheets are my main needs. Space isn't a massive issue as my work takes up next to no space.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
In that case, a discounted base 11" may be just what you need... but is it what you want? :D

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
UK
In that case, a discounted base 11" may be just what you need... but is it what you want? :D

That is the question :) If I could find a laptop for £500 that would be most ideal. I may even consider a Core 2 Duo Air, a C2D cpu is more than enough for my light usage

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
If you're not worried about USB 3, then yea, go for Apple's clearance/refurbished section.

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
I agree. If my firm adopts a BYOD policy (not likely), I'd get the 13" MacBook Air because of the additional real estate on the screen. Since I already have a Windows notebook for work, I opted for the 11" MacBook Air as a secondary/home device. The 11" is great on an airplane, and occasionally I'll read work-related PDFs, etc. on it rather than take out my bulky Windows notebook (we haven't adopted Ultrabooks yet).

The 11 is quite useful. I was very tempted to get one today because it was $908 with tax, and the 13 was $1128 with tax. I also have a desk top with dual 24'' ISP monitors and 8 hard drives that I would rather not use for basic stuff.

I also have a USB 3 Lacie hard drive and USB 3 card reader so could have gotten by with the 64GB base, although I do get paid to shoot and edit video and the 128HD capacity would be handy to store before transferring, and have it on two hard drives in the field to free up the SD cards.

The 13'' is 16:10 aspect and very close in vertical height to the 15'' MBP.

Still for me both the 11 and 13 were a joy to use as opposed to a windows. I would have even considered a refurb if I didn't need the fast transfer for my like of field work.

The real-estate on the 13'' is perfect for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.