Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
woland8816
macrumors newbie

iPad 3 screen cracked

Hi,

Before I waste my time going to apple stores, can someone tell me if they still do a one-time free replacement if you are polite and throw yourself on the genius' mercy?

Or is the $299 now an absolute policy.

I've seen a lot of conflicting posts and would appreciate any recent experiences.

Huge thanks!
woland8816 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by woland8816 View Post
Hi,

Before I waste my time going to apple stores, can someone tell me if they still do a one-time free replacement if you are polite and throw yourself on the genius' mercy?

Or is the $299 now an absolute policy.

I've seen a lot of conflicting posts and would appreciate any recent experiences.

Huge thanks!
Depends on how merciful Apple is that day. Take it in and see.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

They're not supposed to be practicing the one time only policy now that Apple Care + is available. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen at stores from time to time. But it's not supposed to be happening. Can't hurt to take it in and see. You might get a genius willing to risk their job for you.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
-TYLER
macrumors regular

Read this, and his results.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1394066
-TYLER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:37 PM   #5
woland8816
macrumors newbie

Thanks all

Also, the iPad is less than 30 days old, so I guess they would let me buy apple care like the gentleman in Atlantic City. Do I understand that correctly/
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Also, the iPad is less than 30 days old, so I guess they would let me buy apple care like the gentleman in Atlantic City. Do I understand that correctly/
Less than 30 days old? As long as you are polite I'm sure they can cut you some slack on the price (if they charge you at all).

I feel for ya, a brand new $500+ device and getting a broken screen would make me jump off a cliff.

Get a case this time around if you can get yourself a new one from Apple. Leather provides a good cushion for accidental drops so I recommend getting one of those, there are some good deals on Amazon.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
woland8816
macrumors newbie

It was in a case

The incase snap case and the smart cover. Totally useless piece of garbage. Anyone know of a case that works?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
MacGurl111
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The incase snap case and the smart cover. Totally useless piece of garbage. Anyone know of a case that works?
We've been using the incase book cover. It is a tad bit thick but my daughter is very rough with the iPad and when it drops, all is well! We've had the 1st generation for years and it was In perfect condition when we sold it. I recommend that case for anyone who is rough with their stuff. --- oh that rhymes!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Andrew K.
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Unless you get an Otterbox any case wont really help with drop protection for the most part. I got the best buy accidental on my iPad 2 (was in an Incase as well) , dropped it and got it replaced with the New iPad. I use just the smart cover now because if it goes it goes and I'll get a brand new one.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 02:00 AM   #10
seong
macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry to hear that happened to your iPad...... Even I wouldn't even want to imagine that happening to my iPad.

As for the case, I bought the Apple Smart Case. Yes, it's over priced, but I think the amount of protection it offers when compared to other smart covers or snap shield cases. Just FYI, your ipad screen won't crack (I've tried this myself) even if the iPad lays face flat on the table after being knocked on the table. The case adds additional thickness, however.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

They replaced my iPhone twice for my kids, no warranty.
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 06:13 AM   #12
monkeylui
macrumors 6502

Look into ifixyouri

I fixed my iPhone screen with them. They do a great job. There may be a local store in your area.

http://www.ifixyouri.com/150-ipad-3-repair
monkeylui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 06:22 AM   #13
EDH667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did you happen to purchase it with a credit card? A lot of cc companies provide 90 days of accidental damage coverage along with extending the warranty by a year.
EDH667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #14
woland8816
macrumors newbie

Update!!!

Unbelievable! I went to the apple store, was honest and polite and they gave me a new iPad for free! They said that since there was no impact mark the hairline crack could have been a defect! Awesome people! Fantastic company! Was always a huge fan of Apple, even I the dark nineties, but this takes the cake!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
-TYLER
macrumors regular

Quote:
Unbelievable! I went to the apple store, was honest and polite and they gave me a new iPad for free! They said that since there was no impact mark the hairline crack could have been a defect! Awesome people! Fantastic company! Was always a huge fan of Apple, even I the dark nineties, but this takes the cake!
Congratulations, now go buy AppleCare+, and a good case.
-TYLER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #16
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You are so lucky. I am happy for you, but I must admit that it also makes me angry because where I live Apple is always very unwilling to repair or replace an iDevice (with a defect that's not caused by dropping it or something similar) within the warranty period.

Enjoy your replacement and be careful this time.
ThatsMeRight is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Piggie
macrumors 601

I'm not sure from reading you posts I can work out exactly how it broke/you broke it/something happened and it broke?

How did the glass on your iPad get cracked?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:30 PM   #18
woland8816
macrumors newbie

It fell off the night stand

Had an in case back case and smart cover. At first I thought no damage, but then, I saw it: a hairline crack down the screen. All is well that ends well, but truth be told, I've dropped my original iPad half a dozen times, in the original case, and no damage whatsoever. The iPad 3 is definitely more fragile but infinitely nicer!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:12 AM   #19
thegreati
macrumors regular

check sig.

Best of luck
thegreati is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad