Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linz1253

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Well I was recently given an eMac. It has had all the inside parts replaced and ram, etc. updated. When It was given to me it still had all of the previous owners files on it. I was given all of the software disks that originally came with the computer. I want to say it was 10.4 when I got it.

I was told how to reset the computer and I was told it would delete all the files and passwords and it would just have the stuff that came on it. well it reset but now the computer is 10.1! I can't even get it on the Internet. It says it connected to the internert but can't connect to a server.

If I have leopard install disks can I just install them as long as I have a DVD drive?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Well I was recently given an eMac. It has had all the inside parts replaced and ram, etc. updated. When It was given to me it still had all of the previous owners files on it. I was given all of the software disks that originally came with the computer. I want to say it was 10.4 when I got it.

I was told how to reset the computer and I was told it would delete all the files and passwords and it would just have the stuff that came on it. well it reset but now the computer is 10.1! I can't even get it on the Internet. It says it connected to the internert but can't connect to a server.

If I have leopard install disks can I just install them as long as I have a DVD drive?

Well, it also depends on the specs of the eMac you have. The first generation of eMacs have a 700Mhz chip which is not ideal for Leopard, so be sure to check up on that.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yeah, but Leopard will run like crap on an emac. Go for Tiger, 10.4

Leopard runs very well on my 1.5Ghz eMac. I say put Leopard on it, but only after you upgrade its ram to 1GB. I have Leopard on me 700Mhz G4 iMac and it runs it fairly well.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
oh you got to be kidding me whats the specs of the imac

1Gb ram with a Seagate Momentous 500Gb hard drive running at 7200rpm with a 700Mhz G4 and a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, 15" screen with Apple Pro Speakers, SuperDrive, Airport, black Apple Pro keyboard, and black Apple Pro mouse. Of course it isn't stock Leopard, but a highly optimized one.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Put Tiger on it.

If you end up putting Leopard on it, then use Xslimmer to speed things up.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I used to have a 1.0GHz eMac which I installed Leopard on. It ran fairly smoothly, but that 30% hit in CPU speed will be noticeable on your 700Mhz model. Tiger will run much smoother and it still has up a few up to date web-browsers. I wouldn't recommend putting Leopard on a 700MHz machine unless you plan on dual booting both Tiger and Leopard.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I would put the real world Leopard minimum at 700MHz rather than 867MHz and the min RAM at 1GB rather than 512MB.

Anything that has a combination of at least a 1GHz G4, 2GB RAM and Core Image support is a perfect Leopard machine.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
The real world moral of the story is that no matter the computer, OS and apps it's the person using the computer that often gets in the way the most.

I'm a computer professional and I run Leopard on both my G4 towers and it runs like a dream for me. I do all my computing with the 2 single CPU G4's running 10.5 and I want for nothing. Nothing is lacking.

Most people think that the pro users need more power and yes they often do but in reality the more computing skill a user has the less power they need in their hardware. Those who say things like their computer is slow or some OS or app is slow are really just showing a lack of true computing prowess.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
The real world moral of the story is that no matter the computer, OS and apps it's the person using the computer that often gets in the way the most.

I'm a computer professional and I run Leopard on both my G4 towers and it runs like a dream for me. I do all my computing with the 2 single CPU G4's running 10.5 and I want for nothing. Nothing is lacking.

Most people think that the pro users need more power and yes they often do but in reality the more computing skill a user has the less power they need in their hardware. Those who say things like their computer is slow or some OS or app is slow are really just showing a lack of true computing prowess.

I fully agree, you don't need a really uber powerful car to win a race, it is the skill of the driver that wins the race.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011

I could not agree more with this. Prior to the purchase of my 1.8GHz PMG5, I used a 2010 Mac mini with a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU, a 60GB SSD, and 8GB RAM and I still thought "this isn't powerful enough". Boo-hoo right?

After my acquisition of my G5, and using it for a while, I've learned to adapt to the hardware that I am using. Each of my machines are great for what I use them for, and I use each based on the strengths they have, instead of putting them up against eachother.

My G5 is for using PowerPC-only applications and games, and I use it to manage my media library of Music, Movies, and Photos. I mainly play PPC-only games and browse the web on this machine, and import any new purchases into iTunes with it as well.

I use my mini for Intel-only applications and games, and for Universal Binaries if they don't run up to my standards on my G5. I mainly use Pages and Keynote on this machine, and play Intel-only games.
(NOTE: I rarely use this machine anymore, and spent a lot of time thinking what I do with it now. HA!)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I guess I have to chime in again. I have Leo running on a trio of PM G4 DAs. They are all 733Mhz and 768MB Ram. They are all also running tiger. I have a 1Ghz eMac with 512MB RAM running tiger and leo. I play Sim City 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Zoo Tycoon 2, C&C Generals, iWork, iLife and Photoshop 8 (CS1) on both of them. The games run terrible on Tiger, and the apps run better on Tiger. With the exception of boot times, Leo is better in so many different ways. Better networking, better browsing and compatibility with iTunes. The wireless totally sucks on all of them, but I use my airport express for wired networking. The networking on my PPC machines is more reliable than my gen1 air. I only use my air for the final formatting for my books, playing runescape when i forget how much it sucks now and class work. Every machine has it's use. The blanket 'install tiger on it' is ludicrous.

PS, I have Leo running on my dual 533 G4DA and it runs just fine.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
As i have stated in some other threads, I have intel macs because of curiosity and necessity (work). My personal choice is still my powerpc macs.

Mac mini is media server (iTunes, ripped DVD movies, funny because I rip DVDs on my powermac), hulu, etc. I don't pay much attention to the mini. Macbook, running XP on Parellels for work, and OSX for email while on the road.

Most of things I made money is coming from my Powermac, before it used to be the G4, then the dual core, now its the quad core. And I think it will stay that way for a long time. I get excited when I am about to go home from the field because of the powermac waiting for me. Lol!

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I get excited when I am about to go home from the field because of the powermac waiting for me. Lol!

I am so stoked I was able to repair my PM G5. The dual 1.8 is beyond repair, but I so enjoy using my dual processor 2.0. I have always wanted one of the 2.3Ghz air-cooled dual core 2.3s with the PCI-E slot, but I'm afraid any money I get for computing will go toward purchasing an intel mini.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I am so stoked I was able to repair my PM G5. The dual 1.8 is beyond repair, but I so enjoy using my dual processor 2.0. I have always wanted one of the 2.3Ghz air-cooled dual core 2.3s with the PCI-E slot, but I'm afraid any money I get for computing will go toward purchasing an intel mini.

Go ahead with the mini.

Maybe it is just me, excitement fades so fast with the mini. Will never purchase another mini again. But I might purchase another G4, probably a QS or a Sawtooth or a cube.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Sheeeet! I will trade you 3 PM G4s for your mini.

BTW, why does the wow factor fade so fast on a mini? It couldn't be any worse than my air.

Seth Mac Fan

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012

Most likely that dvd drive will not read a leopard install dvd because it is a dual layer dvd and older macs dvd drives have a hard time reading those disks , so you will have to install leopard in target disk mode or use a external hard drive firewire . Also if your emac is a 700mhz model it will not run leopard at all . If your emac is a 1.42ghz model it should run leopard ok but not very fast . The best solution for you I think is to install Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 on it . I would recommend you install two apps on it also that will make tiger much more usable first of all install tenfourfox make sure you select the g4 version , second install mactubes for watching youtube videos make sure you switch the video player in the preferences to quicktime for it to work good . Also update tiger to 10.4.11 with software update , because a lot of software requires you to have the latest updated version of tiger . You can buy Mac OS X tiger from $50-$200 online and old mac dvd drives should be able read the tiger disk with no problems . Your emac original owner maybe still has a copy ask them if you can borrow it or have it to install tiger . The version of Mac OS X you have there now 10.1 , it is pretty much not usable in 2012 . Yeah you can use it but you will be able to pretty much install nothing so your pretty much stuck with whatever is preinstalled on that version .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.