Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timshan0876

macrumors member
Original poster
Ok, so I just purchased a bottle of this Blue Label Whiskey from a friend. He wasn't able to keep his collection of drinks because he is moving back to the USA and, well, it is kind of not worth bring 30+ bottles onto the the cargo of a airplane. Nor is it possible to drink all 30+ bottles in a matter of days. (Or is it? haha)

But my question is...
I had this bottle just sitting in my home for a few weeks and last night I decided, what the hell lets try it. And I took maybe 2 or three little cups of this whiskey... and well, I dont think its real.....

First, I have had Jack Daniels and Jim Beam before, during my college years. And it has been a few years since I have have any type of drink other than beer. So I am not exactly the drink connoisseur. But last night, when I was drinking this "Johnny Walker Blue Label" it burned and tasted just like Jack Daniels... which is rather gross to me. (Im the kind of guy who loves an ICE cold beer, and maybe a tequila. Hate vodka, hate gin....)

This Blue Label is supposed to be a high quality whiskey that is rather expensive no?
Is the price difference MUCH bigger than the difference in taste (between Blue Label and Jack Daniels)?

Has anyone had this whiskey before? Im really confused, perhaps I dont have the "taste level" of these types of drinks or something, but I seriously think this is no better than Jack Daniels...

Is this bottle real?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
You gotta get into whiskey to be able to appreciate the difference. Otherwise it all tastes like crap. Kinda like how a non beer drinker can't tell the difference between a Belgian trappist beer and cheap domestic watered down crap

I've drank Blue on special occasions (bachelor parties, new years eve, etc) but I'm not a big fan. I think it's overpriced and overrated. For a blend I'd rather have Ballantine's or something smokier. If I'm gonna sip whiskey all night, I'm good with Single Barrel Jack.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If it tastes like Jack Daniels it's not Scotch. I don't know of any drink made in Scotland that tastes like Jack Daniels.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Has anyone had this whiskey before? Im really confused, perhaps I dont have the "taste level" of these types of drinks or something, but I seriously think this is no better than Jack Daniels...

Is this bottle real?

What a waste of perfectly good scotch. You don't have a clue what you're doing, nor do you know anything about scotch. You're comparing Jim Beam and Jack Daniels to Johnny Walker? What the hell are you thinking? They are completely different drinks. I drink Johnny Walker Blue Label regularly and I love it for a blended scotch. It's miles above JW Red or even JW Black. I actually like JW Green a lot as well. Honestly though, none of it compares to a good 27 year old single malt.

Just watch this to get an idea of how to drink scotch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVXHX7rMhA

It's markety, but the process is right. Donate that bottle to someone who can appreciate it for what it is.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What a waste of perfectly good scotch. You don't have a clue what you're doing, nor do you know anything about scotch. You're comparing Jim Beam and Jack Daniels to Johnny Walker? What the hell are you thinking? They are completely different drinks. I drink Johnny Walker Blue Label regularly and I love it for a blended scotch. It's miles above JW Red or even JW Black. I actually like JW Green a lot as well. Honestly though, none of it compares to a good 27 year old single malt.

Just watch this to get an idea of how to drink scotch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVXHX7rMhA

It's markety, but the process is right. Donate that bottle to someone who can appreciate it for what it is.

I feel like your response should include rage face. Chill man, so he doesn't have a taste for it ... at least he tried it. :rolleyes:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
What a waste of perfectly good scotch.

Hang on, I'm not sure we've established that it really is Scotch. That was the OP's concern, wasn't it? Was it a fake?

OP: Was the bottle sealed when you got it?

Edit: OP, you're not in India are you?
Indian knock-off whisky gang arrested

Six men were arrested, including a former brewer, when police found old bottles and fake labels for Johnnie Walker, Chivas Regal and Glenfiddich.
They were mixing a local brand, 'Bagpiper', which is popular with truck drivers and nicknamed 'Punjabi rocket fuel', with 'Signature', a slightly more upmarket Indian whisky.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...49/Indian-knock-off-whisky-gang-arrested.html

Last edited:

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Forget that over-priced snob crap.

Get a bottle of Bushmill's Black Bush, and enjoy a decent drink, straight or on ice only, please.

Good scotch is good scotch, especially if it's cheap. You can put down various blends or brands based on your subjective opinion. Your opinion of JW Blue may vary from mine, but in the end, it's still good scotch. Again, not as good as a single malt 27 year old scotch of which I have a special bottle of from an unnamed distillery in Scotland. The OP's JW Blue, if legit, is a perfectly good bottle of scotch.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Im really confused, perhaps I dont have the "taste level" of these types of drinks or something, but I seriously think this is no better than Jack Daniels...

I'd say this is your problem. If you don't regularly drink scotch or whiskey, you're going to have a tough time discerning different types. To me, Johnnie Walker (black label - haven't had the chance to try blue) tastes very different from JD.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I've had all the Walkers but Blue, but looking forward to trying it one day. My favorite Walker is either Black or Gold. I feel the flavor of Black at what is usually a quite affordable/cheap price is the best combination from the Walker series.

Then again, it's probably been a few months since I've had any Johnny Walker or any kind. Should swing by the store and get some...

Timshan0876

macrumors member
Original poster
Wow, thank you guys for the responses. I will drink this slowly, like a few sips every few light years. I think it would be nice to try some others and eventually come back to the Blue Label and be able to appreciate it.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Wow, thank you guys for the responses. I will drink this slowly, like a few sips every few light years. I think it would be nice to try some others and eventually come back to the Blue Label and be able to appreciate it.

Do it. Scotch is an acquired taste. Try some JW Black Label. It's a lot less expensive than the Blue, and still a pretty decent blend. There are plenty of good single malts available for not-outrageous prices, too... Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and Talisker are all good, to name a few.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why, when you can get the best part of that blend cheaper with The Glenlivet??

To me, Chivas 12 and The Glenlivet 12 y.o. are essentially the same. :eek:

Ah, now that is a whiskey to sip and savour......agreed.

I'm not very into Irish Whiskies anymore. I really liked Jameson's for the price, but now I don't enjoy any of the Irish Whiskeys.

And as for scotches, J.W. Blue is supposed to be outstanding. It may not be worth its retail price (that's what I've read. Admittedly, I don't know....), but it's certainly not bad. And who cares if it's a single malt, or a blend? Blends aren't just the left-overs of others poured into a barrel. ;) I judge a whiskey by its taste.

I'd love to try J.W. Blue one day, but I doubt it's something I'd really enjoy. I'm more into Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the like. My favourite non-peaty whiskey is Suntory Hibiki 17, which is a blend. :)

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'm not very into Irish Whiskies anymore. I really liked Jameson's for the price, but now I don't enjoy any of the Irish Whiskeys.
)

Lately, for an Irish I've been getting Tullamore Dew over Jameson. Bought it one day on a whim, found it to be quite smooth.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I used to like Jameson more than Tullamore Dew (and Kilbeggen), but Bushmills is probably better, particularly Black Bush.

Around Xmas time, when I was visiting my family, I saw and purchased an Irish whiskey called Connemara, which is a peated Irish whiskey. It was pretty good compared to the regulars, but Irish whiskey has a very defining taste that I'm now trying to stay away from!!

And just FYI, I'm currently drinking a Highland Park 1998 vintage. I started with a Woodford Reserve, and switched to this. I bought both at the airport recently! :cool:

Pivs

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
And just FYI, I'm currently drinking a Highland Park 1998 vintage.

Big fan of Highland Park, though I haven't tried that particular vintage. Took me a while to tell the difference between fine scotch/whiskey and cheaper stuff. Just takes drinking a lot :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.