Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I guess I should have stated things a little more clearly...

I am mostly disappointed with the 10 dead pixels.

I placed an order for a 2.3/256/16/AppleCare RMBP but Apple made a mistake and my order consisted of a 2.6/512/16/AppleCare. Yes, I had the opportunity to cancel the order and place a new order. Yes, I should have checked the e-mailed receipt sooner. I decided to keep the original order even though it was a mistake because for the price difference vs the delay and specification increase, I thought it was worth it. This was mainly due to the delay, if I had my choice, I would have went with the 2.3/256/16/AppleCare that I originally ordered. This was disappointing but I decided I could live with it because I needed the notebook for school and couldn't wait any longer.

There is noticeable lag but hopefully Mountain Lion will fix this.

Yes, I knew about the 3-4 week shipping estimate but that doesn't mean it wasn't a disappointment.

UPDATE:

Apple is issuing me a replacement notebook. They are sending me a box so that I can return my defective RMBP. I should have the box tomorrow or the day after. Once I send the notebook back it will take 2-5 days to process and 5-7 days after that to ship out a replacement. So, I am looking at another 10-18 days until I receive my replacement. I tried to keep the defective unit until the replacement arrived but they wouldn't go for it. I will be getting my correct order, a 2.3/256/16 this time around and refunded the difference.

Last edited:

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I think all of this could have happened with any manufacturer. However, Apple is probably the only manufacturer that will make all of that right with minimal additional hassle. The only thing they probably can't fix in short order is the supply for a different model.

ogs

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
How about a TL;DR version of it?

TL;DR: OP didn't realize there was a wait time before shipping, OP ordered a different model than intended, OP had 10 dead pixels.

The first two reasons are your fault @OP, the last one is apples they should've taken care of you.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
TL;DR: OP didn't realize there was a wait time before shipping, OP ordered a different model than intended, OP had 10 dead pixels.

The first two reasons are your fault @OP, the last one is apples they should've taken care of you.

Thank you.

In summary, I have a brand new notebook that was shipped later that announced, came with the wrong specifications, arrived defective (10 dead pixels), and I have to pay an additional $846.91.

AppleCare covers that, why pay? Warranty service is there....

midtownhd

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
You should just return it.
I'm very curious to how you managed to get a 16GB rMBP+Apple Care for under $2200 after taxes, even after Discover 5% cashback.
Did you have a business discount of some sort?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Sorry, OP, I don't buy that you placed the right order, Apple got it wrong, and you quietly decided to just pony up another $800 for their mistake. Just admit you ordered the wrong thing.

For the pixel situation, Apple will replace it, of course.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I really don't see the problem, return it and get what you want. I mean you might have to wait a couple days for the credit to appear on your discover card but at this point whats a couple more days?

BTW I did the same thing converted to all Apple. Love it.. cost a small fortune though..

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012

I will admit that the first one is my fault...

As far as the order goes, it was Apple's fault, they screwed up my order. I wanted the base model with 16GB not the higher end.

The dead pixels were really disappointing.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK

As far as the order goes, it was Apple's fault, they screwed up my order. I wanted the base model with 16GB not the higher end.

apple have very good after care service so give them a call and see what they can do for you.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Sorry, OP, I don't buy that you placed the right order, Apple got it wrong, and you quietly decided to just pony up another $800 for their mistake. Just admit you ordered the wrong thing.

For the pixel situation, Apple will replace it, of course.

Absolutely not... I placed the order correctly but I did consider the higher end model. Apple admitted to something strange with the order but couldn't figure it out. It may have been something due to going through Discover.com and then through Apple.com to place the order.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Disappointment in the dead pixels I get and you absolutely should take it in for a replacement, but the order snafu is on you. It's on you to review your purchase to make sure everything is as intended. Once you discovered the issue you could have contacted them to let them know about the error (which they would have quickly corrected), but you chose to hang the extra expense and go with it.

As far as the whole "shipping today" thing....the initial orders did ship immediately. Once the initial stock sold out that is when the delays started. For you to be in the 3-4 week window means you ordered at least a day after they went on sale. If there was ever an appropriate time for the phrase "you snooze, you lose" it is here.

These types of things happen though with all manufacturers. No sense in getting too upset about these types of things because you're going to run into them everywhere.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Absolutely not... I placed the order correctly but I did consider the higher end model. Apple admitted to something strange with the order but couldn't figure it out. It may have been something due to going through Discover.com and then through Apple.com to place the order.

Sorry, still don't believe it. All you had to do was show your original order (you did print a copy, I presume) to prove that you do not owe the $800. Not sure where you live, but here in the US you are NOT obligated to pay for something you did not order.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Sorry, still don't believe it. All you had to do was show your original order (you did print a copy, I presume) to prove that you do not owe the $800. Not sure where you live, but here in the US you are NOT obligated to pay for something you did not order.

Isn't there an email confirmation as well?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Holy crap. Why is it so impossible to believe Apple made an administrative error?

What's not clear is if the OP actually thought he'd be getting a 512 SSD for the price of a 256. If so he was naive.

Last edited by a moderator:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Until recently, I was strictly a PC and Android user to the point where I refused to use any Apple products.

Tells something about your personality.

As of now, I am completely rethinking my move to Apple products. I have never had so many problems on a single product. Everything went wrong from the beginning to the end. At this point, I am not sure how this could be quickly and easily resolved.

If there is a problem with your purchase, just return it and get something which suits you better instead. Venting on a forum helps no one. You had several weeks to react after you discovered that you ordered the wrong model, yet you decided not to. You seem to be the kind of person who just complains but actually never does anything to improve the situation. And what does this 'quickly and easily resolved' even supposed to mean? Call Apple, they will pick the machine up, apologize and give your money back. My final advice: grow up.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Deal with the 10 dead pixels until demand dies down and all models are readily available, then get it replaced with your applecare..... As for the extra $846 its not like you are paying extra money for lower specs, you are getting higher specs for that extra money.... I understand that you weren't looking to pay that much and Apple screwed up your order but when you decided to keep it you lost your right to complain about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.