Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:01 AM   #26
silverjam
macrumors regular

Apple should make an Apple specific Thunderbolt hub for the MBA and put Ethernet, eSata and Firewire in it. I know Belkin is coming out with a TB hub soon but it would be nice to get one for an MBA.
silverjam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #27
asting
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJP View Post
Yeah, I was going to increase everything by 1 too:
- i6 processor (i8 optional) at 2.7 (or 3.0) GHz
- 5GB RAM (9GB optional)
- Intel HD 4001
- 721p camera
- 3 USB 4.0 ports, 2 MagSafe 3 connectors
- 65GB SSD (upgradeable up to 513GB)
- BlueTooth 5.0
- Wi-Fi 803.11 ! Finally !
- Retina2 (TM) display ! Quadruples the Retina resolution, so you get 5464x3072 on the 11". Suddenly, everybody (and their grandmothers) need 17 megapixel screens to make those DSLRs with 12MP look silly.

Peter.
Oh crap! Now my d300s is obsolete.
asting is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #28
PeterJP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Oh crap! Now my d300s is obsolete.
It is. You should upgrade to a D300T

Peter.
PeterJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:42 AM   #29
deadwalrus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post
GPU is likely becoming much better although I doubt it will suffice for "retina"-resolutions. They might stick with the current panels one more year and go OLED after that.
Yet the integrated Intel HD4000 GPU drives the 15" rMBP most of the time. The discrete graphics chip only turns of for heavy duty tasks, not for rendering the OS. This is the same GPU in the MBAs.
deadwalrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:56 PM   #30
asting
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwalrus View Post
Yet the integrated Intel HD4000 GPU drives the 15" rMBP most of the time. The discrete graphics chip only turns of for heavy duty tasks, not for rendering the OS. This is the same GPU in the MBAs.
+1
I'm not sure what all this talk of high end graphics requirements are about. Maybe to render something at that resolution, but for basic display functions graphics cards from 10 years ago could run at 2560*1600.

As far as window animations etc, integrated graphics keep getting better and better (hell they beat dedicated graphics from 5 years ago, good ones too).
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:07 PM   #31
Wokis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwalrus View Post
It's the same chip yet they are not running the same frequency nor does the ULV part have the same frisky turbo policy due to the low TDP.

Also working the UI-elements won't quite cut it when it can't fall back onto a discrete chip once a third-party application demands more. Today's MBA can be used for more than surfing the net so I should hope that the next gen can too without introducing a "cut reso by half"-feature.

Furthermore the rMBP isn't really receiving standing ovations for its GPU performance with that resolution

Haswell should enhance GPU performance by quite a bit but I have my doubts that it will have enough power to hold its own for 2880x1800 in all scenarios. But hey, no data as of yet.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:48 PM   #32
dyn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
  • Bigger SSD. This seems like a given. SSD prices are dropping like a rock. I'd guess today's 256GB will be next years 512GB. 256GB as the base, 512GB upgrade and maybe even a 1TB.
  • Faster SSD. Can they really get much faster? They're pretty much filling up the 6Gbps channel.
Bigger yes, faster...that will be a problem: The future of flash memory: tiny (and extremely tough to build).
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:41 PM   #33
tim100
macrumors 65816

Will they get rid of the huge bezel?
tim100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:23 AM   #34
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Here's one... a Micro SD slot It would fit both 11 & 13 MBAs
Looking at the size of a Micro, regular SD cards are bound to disappear
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:42 AM   #35
MacBird
macrumors 6502

No predictions, but I certainly hope they will finally use IPS panels, TN is such an outdated technology.
MacBird is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:51 AM   #36
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMACatU View Post
SD cards aren't going anywhere. They're used in something like 70% of cameras today and there is no trend of switching to the tiny and less reliable microSD for cameras.

If anything, with more and more Android phones coming with built-in storage and no microSD slots, it's the microSD cards that are bound to disappear.
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:26 AM   #37
asting
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightMACatU View Post
I doubt that will happen. These can get too small, and then they get hard to use and are often lost. Look how at how old and large compact flash is. It's still in use.
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 AM   #38
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokis View Post
Furthermore the rMBP isn't really receiving standing ovations for its GPU performance with that resolution
Problems haven't been with the native 2880 X 1800. Problems have occurred with the scaled 1920 and 1050 resolutions. The GPU is doing a lot more work at those scaled resolutions than at native. Also, ML GM has seemed to help out quite a bit with some of the UI problems. The hardware is probably still a little behind the display tech, but someone has to push the envelope or we'd all have 720p screens on 15" laptops. I'd rather early adopters deal with some growing pains than be stuck with zero innovation. There are always trade offs.
kobyh15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:37 AM   #39
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

HDMI would be a nice addition.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:35 AM   #40
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15 View Post
.................................................... I'd rather early adopters deal with some growing pains than be stuck with zero innovation. There are always trade offs.
I'm not sure where the innovation here is. I was at the Apple store yesterday and honestly I couldn't see the difference between a retina 13" MBP and a 13" MBA (aside of the glass panel of course). I guess there are quite a lot of people out there ho don't have the sharp eyes of 18 year olds and don't care. So would prefer to get a lighter, thinner, less power-hungry display with better color gamut.
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:58 AM   #41
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
I'm not sure where the innovation here is. I was at the Apple store yesterday and honestly I couldn't see the difference between a retina 13" MBP and a 13" MBA (aside of the glass panel of course). I guess there are quite a lot of people out there ho don't have the sharp eyes of 18 year olds and don't care. So would prefer to get a lighter, thinner, less power-hungry display with better color gamut.
Some don't care. And that is fine. I think if Apple put an IPS panel at the same resolution in the Air it would be a significant step in the right direction. I doubt the Air's body could hold a big enough battery to power a retina screen at this point. I do prefer my MBP screen to my buddy's Air, even though both are TN panels. I wish Apple would adopt IPS across the MacBook line.
kobyh15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM   #42
volvik
macrumors newbie

I had planned on finally dumping my atom netbook for an MBA 11 in April. Then I started reading about the possible 50% improvement in the GPU and a possible drop in price.

Historically, when are the new specs/prices usually confirmed and how soon are the units actually available? June 1?

Hrmmm....for the sake of a month or so should I hold out....
volvik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #43
PilotWoo
macrumors regular

Haswell
Storage options remain the same
Wireless 802.11ac support
Non retina touch screen supported by osx 10.9
PilotWoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #44
Sean76
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
I think it all really comes down to preference. I was able to tell the difference instantly between the screens on a 2012 MBA and my new rMBP!

The real difference here is with the sharpness and deep blacks on the rMBP. I'm a big fan of Super Amoled screens on phones, so the difference to me is like night and day. But with that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the screen on the Air...Some just prefer the Retina display.

If a version of the Air is released later this year with a Retina screen, I will be selling my rMBP... Absolutely love the form factor of the Air...
Sean76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #45
wbensky
macrumors member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
no way you will see quad core...that would really hurt the pro sales, and no way a retina display. I think the 2013 will bring the new CPU which will help out the battery life, and maybe a higher resolution. Retina's on airs are a long way out.
Surprise,
wbensky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 AM   #46
Sean76
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbensky View Post
I disagree on the Retina statement...

I definitely think we'll see a rMBA by the time 2013 comes to a close.

Think about it, the 2013 entry rMBP is priced at $1699 with 8GB of ram and 128GB of storage...To some thats really expensive

so wouldn't Apple bring a retina air into the equation priced at $1,499 with less ram and storage then the entry rMBP? This is what Apple does, everything is give or take a $200 difference.

Sooner or later Apple will be going all retina for all they're devices.
Sean76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:25 AM   #47
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean76 View Post
I disagree on the Retina statement...

I definitely think we'll see a rMBA by the time 2013 comes to a close.

Think about it, the 2013 entry rMBP is priced at $1699 with 8GB of ram and 128GB of storage...To some thats really expensive

so wouldn't Apple bring a retina air into the equation priced at $1,499 with less ram and storage then the entry rMBP? This is what Apple does, everything is give or take a $200 difference.

Sooner or later Apple will be going all retina for all they're devices.
Rather later than sooner... It is not about pricing only, it is about differentiation - retina and stronger cpus are pros, that is what make people buy mbpros. Ob the other hand, key feature of airs is their thinnes, ad retina to air - either you kill them with little batery life or make them thick - you produce another rmbp with very similar pricing - non sense from apples and even from consumers point of view. My prediction (hope) for 2013 air: haswell, ips, pimped form factor (thinner bezel - bigger screen in same form factor), a bit higher resolutions and god please higher ssd capacity for todays price
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #48
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
it is about differentiation - retina and stronger cpus are pros, that is what make people buy mbpros.
That is what makes people buy Apple: differentiation. The faster they can get to all-retina the better they can sustain the air of superiority. With iPad having gone retina (with & despite severe constraints on battery & GPU), there's not much reason to not go there with MBAs. Waiting another product cycle puts them out well over a year before rMBA, at which point it's more of an embarrassing catch-up than leading the industry.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:18 PM   #49
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBird View Post
No predictions, but I certainly hope they will finally use IPS panels, TN is such an outdated technology.
I agree and I think it's coming in this year's rev. The ASUS Zenbooks have IPS panels so I'm guessing the cost has gotten low enough for Apple to use them as well.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #50
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Retina IPS display. A little bit thinner and more compact.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
2013 macbook air