Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
stefanwa
macrumors newbie

Basic projection mapping?

Hi!

Maybe one of you could help me out in setting up a basic video projection with my MacBook and an older LCD 720 16:9 projector...

I want to make a video projection of moving clouds in the illustrated shape of a cloud. Just on a plain white wall. I don't want the square 16:9 light be seen around my "video object". I have made some quick images to demonstrate what I want to do...

This is how it should look. The wall is grey in this example.

It should not look like this:

or this:

I hope I made it clear. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but do I need some projection mapping software for this? If I need it, what would be a simple solution (preferable free)?

Thanks for suggestions!
Steve
stefanwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

VPT is the only free projection mapping software I know of for OSX. VVVV is also free, but PC only. I use MadMapper, but that is paid software. You can also write your own masks/deforms in Processing, which is a free programming language.

This is a really simple mask. You may want to try types of optical masking first if you really want to shut the projector down in the non-image areas... try a cardboard mask or taping off the lens. Even with projection mapping software, you will get light bleed on your non-image areas.
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
stefanwa
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info!
stefanwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video