Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 5, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
acearchie
macrumors 68040

Emulating the 60's...

Hi guys,

For a friends 21st birthday I have offered to make a video for her of the event.

The theme is 60's and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any styles or good videos to attempt to emulate.

From a previous job I have access to the film clutter stock footage so I plan on mixing some of that in.

In terms of styles she mentioned a scene from Made In Dagenham and showed me on the DVD. Here is a small section that I found on YouTube.

Essentially it's the split screen effect that was popular in the 60's. Another similar example I could think of was from the Thomas Crown Affair.

Used in the trailer a bit

And also during the Polo scene

For this sort of thing are there any tricks to achieving it in After Effects or it is a case of a lot of cropping and rendering?

Can anyone think of any other 60's styles that I could try and emulate?

I am shooting it on Saturday so I only have a short time to prepare but any tips would be most grateful!

Cheers!
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2
salacious
macrumors 6502a

brady bunch... look no further has all the split screen 60's-ish look you want
salacious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:13 AM   #3
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

For the AE part....

Find some real footage of film scratches (look at this tutorial/get the 8mm stock from here)

Multiply or overlay it on your footage, in addition to a color correction applied to an adjustment layer. Adjust the opacity of the real film layer to change the intensity of the scratches.

What you're going to want to do in AE is have a bunch of pre-comps, one for each shot, with the film and color corrections applied, then take them into a main comp and mask and animate your pre-comps appropriately. For the 60s style, linear keyframes only. No easy-ease.

Maybe also add some additional graphics, sticking to geometric shapes and large, colorful blocks. Add an adjustment layer with some noise and a very slight fast blur applied and a vignette over everything.

I just got done with a 70s style project at work, and it was pretty fun. Let me know if you have any questions.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
musique
macrumors regular

Lighting and Fonts

I understand that it may be a little late, but I was thinking about how different film is today versus the 1960s.

With digital editing we can do things on a computer that they could never have done in the 60s.

But I think one of the things that define the era is the way sets (for TV at least) were lit. Most things were shot on film and almost none of that was hand held. The lighting, especially the way it reflected off the coiffed heads, made it very different than today's television footage.

Another thing you might think about is the fonts you use in your video. See if there are some specific shows and/or movies you want to emulate and check out the fonts (and the titling itself) used for the title and/or credits. (Although it's more in the 70s, Woody Allen's movies all used the same fonts for credits, white on black.)
musique is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video