Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

Should I upgrade my iPod touch 4th gen to iOS 5

I have an ipod touch 4th gen on iOS 4.2. Apps crash constantly and the battery already goes down very fast. This device is not under warranty and is absoultely critical to my life so if something goes wrong or the update makes it worse than it already is I will be extremely angry. I am sure I use the device to its fullest capability already. With that being said should I update or not?
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun1986 View Post
I have an ipod touch 4th gen on iOS 4.2. Apps crash constantly and the battery already goes down very fast. This device is not under warranty and is absoultely critical to my life so if something goes wrong or the update makes it worse than it already is I will be extremely angry. I am sure I use the device to its fullest capability already. With that being said should I update or not?
I found that the various 4.x releases were not very good to my 4G 64GB iPod Touch. Battery life in particular was troublesome.

5.1.1 however is excellent from my vantage point.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I'd install iOS 5. There are a lot of nice improvements.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Outrun1986
macrumors regular

Well I would update but apparently I can't download the latest itunes since iTunes does not want to download the update. Been reading up on this issue and the 10.6.3 update pretty much works for no one, so I will be waiting till the next iTunes version or until apple sorts this out. I don't want to cause problems with what works, so I will be waiting.
Outrun1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
MacIke
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Yes!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

The update is good, but do a clean wipe, not an upgrade. Lots of performance problems on the touches with upgrades and iCloud backup restores. I was considering returning mine because the lag was SO bad (did a restore from iCloud as soon as I opened it - shipped with OS 5.1.1). After a clean restore, it's (almost) as fast as an iPhone.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
PipoSnake
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySmurf View Post
The update is good, but do a clean wipe, not an upgrade. Lots of performance problems on the touches with upgrades and iCloud backup restores. I was considering returning mine because the lag was SO bad (did a restore from iCloud as soon as I opened it - shipped with OS 5.1.1). After a clean restore, it's (almost) as fast as an iPhone.
did you perform a clean restore via iCloud or with your computer?
PipoSnake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipoSnake View Post
did you perform a clean restore via iCloud or with your computer?
Clean wipe just using the Reset All functionality on the device, then synced my stuff from my computer.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't, the effects of ios 5 on RAM is very noticeable, prepare for much more crashing than you have currently. 4.3.3 is by far the absolute most stable version.

However, if you really need a specific feature of ios 5, no sense in waiting.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch