Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
First off not sure if this is the right section for this post.... (if it isn't then by all means move it. I'm new here)

So I'm in the market for a new machine... And with new iMacs around the corner I was thinking thats probably the best bet for me. But then a friend mentioned to me why don't I make a hackintosh?

And I've been giving the idea some thought and have realized that would be a good use of money for me. Due to the fact that I already own a external monitor, Lion, Keyboard, & Mouse.

Now obviously I've never done this before so I have no idea what to do. I've heard it's fairly simple to accomplish you just need to follow the steps correctly is all.

Now my budget lies somewhere around 1100$ and that is to be spent all on parts (like I said I already own a KB/Mouse/Monitor) So I know the parts you can buy for a hackintosh are most of the time far superior to those that come in a iMac.

My only concern is... Is there any room for irreversible failure? and is it all dependent on which parts you buy?

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
First off not sure if this is the right section for this post.... (if it isn't then by all means move it. I'm new here)

So I'm in the market for a new machine... And with new iMacs around the corner I was thinking thats probably the best bet for me. But then a friend mentioned to me why don't I make a hackintosh?

And I've been giving the idea some thought and have realized that would be a good use of money for me. Due to the fact that I already own a external monitor, Lion, Keyboard, & Mouse.

Now obviously I've never done this before so I have no idea what to do. I've heard it's fairly simple to accomplish you just need to follow the steps correctly is all.

Now my budget lies somewhere around 1100$ and that is to be spent all on parts (like I said I already own a KB/Mouse/Monitor) So I know the parts you can buy for a hackintosh are most of the time far superior to those that come in a iMac.

My only concern is... Is there any room for irreversible failure? and is it all dependent on which parts you buy?

if your into messing on with computers, i.e. building your own and tinkering then a hackintosh is great as although there are some programs out there to make life easier... Its by no means a simple one off task. If you base your hardware round this stuff;

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.fr/search/label/CustoMac

then that will make your life much much easier. It all depends on what your after, if your after a mac because of how it looks then wait for the new iMac. but if you just want the OS then build a customac/hackintosh. If you want both and are up for a challenge, build a hackintosh into a Power Mac G5 case ^.^

MacintoshNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Wow thanks for the link!

By the looks of it either of the 2 Pro builds would be what I want. I'm not really a person who cares to much for how it looks. Because this would be used as a power machine (Running AE,PP,PS,AI,Logic.)

My only worry is if I were to go with either of those 2 builds.... Is there like I asked room for irreversible error?

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wow thanks for the link!

By the looks of it either of the 2 Pro builds would be what I want. I'm not really a person who cares to much for how it looks. Because this would be used as a power machine (Running AE,PP,PS,AI,Logic.)

My only worry is if I were to go with either of those 2 builds.... Is there like I asked room for irreversible error?

if you mean by irriversable error, its just a PC at the end of the day so you can run windows and os x just the same as normal. but if u install it wrong, it simply doesnt work and then you need to think again with whats going wrong lol. but if you follow those builds or have a look on that forum for an Ivy Bridge build and stick as close to what they tell you to as possible it will work.

I have been messing with them for only a small amount of time and im onto my 3rd lot of hardware trying to get it right. The reason for this is im using ITX boards that arent what they call 'vanilla' (working out of the box as far as i understand that it means lol). basically the 1st board had an atom processor (not supported) 2nd board worked no problem but i needed to use onboard graphics and that board only had Intel HD and i needed Intel HD 3000 for it to be fully accelerated graphics with OS X. so my new hardware turns up today hopefully ^.^

Check out the post on my siggy and see what ive been doing with the hackintosh side of my project. Its really interesting and ive learnt a lot. If i wasnt restricted by space i would have managed much much easier!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
when you build a hackintosh you basically got to be careful of updates they can break your setup. I didnt see the value in building a hackintosh. the quad core refurbished from the apple store was really close and you get a nice 27 inch monitor out of it.

dollar for dollar you can build a better machine but used imacs are better and they are real macs imho.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
when you build a hackintosh you basically got to be careful of updates they can break your setup. I didnt see the value in building a hackintosh. the quad core refurbished from the apple store was really close and you get a nice 27 inch monitor out of it.

dollar for dollar you can build a better machine but used imacs are better and they are real macs imho.

Well said for the most part, but for me I currently have a RMBP and my custom built Gaming PC. So I am probably going to install OSX Lion on another partition or another hard drive. I just can't get enough Mac OSX.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Well said for the most part, but for me I currently have a RMBP and my custom built Gaming PC. So I am probably going to install OSX Lion on another partition or another hard drive. I just can't get enough Mac OSX.

from a games point of view, that is still the only drawback of OS X :-( its getting much much better but still not 100% yet.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
yes yes yes!!!

What you just said.
Can I friend you and ask you to tell me later how did it go?

I have my laptop, pretty cool, but not ok for gaming.
The iMac is pretty neat, but putting a laptop graphics in a 2000$ computer is just a joke (I know there are heat reasons, but whatever..)

So, I've been thinking of what you just said.
Build a custom gaming pc but also capable of having Mac OS X installed on it, for day to day usage.

Please tell me how'd it go.

thanks

Mac'on

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Hackin0sh

What you just said.
Can I friend you and ask you to tell me later how did it go?

I have my laptop, pretty cool, but not ok for gaming.
The iMac is pretty neat, but putting a laptop graphics in a 2000$ computer is just a joke (I know there are heat reasons, but whatever..)

So, I've been thinking of what you just said.
Build a custom gaming pc but also capable of having Mac OS X installed on it, for day to day usage.

Please tell me how'd it go.

thanks

Mac'on

Well basically it's called Hackint0sh, and there are a few websites that have guides and will show compatible parts. Heres one website I found: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2012/07/how-to-install-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-gm-on-pc-hackintosh/

Now heres a link to compatible components:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.4

Lastly, I would recommend buying your parts at Newegg or Tiger Direct, or NCIX. Those all will sell the parts needed for a custom PC at much cheaper prices than Frys or Amazon.

Hope this helps!

Thomas

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
If you go this route, be triple-certain that you buy a motherboard that's been verified FULLY compatible by many other Hackintosh owners. If they write that some components, such as Sound or Ethernet, don't resume after Sleep -- don't build it! Take your time and make 100% motherboard compatibility your #1 priority. Otherwise, you will be very miserable.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
Thanks a lot

Well basically it's called Hackint0sh, and there are a few websites that have guides and will show compatible parts. Heres one website I found: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2012/07/how-to-install-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-gm-on-pc-hackintosh/

Now heres a link to compatible components:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.4

Lastly, I would recommend buying your parts at Newegg or Tiger Direct, or NCIX. Those all will sell the parts needed for a custom PC at much cheaper prices than Frys or Amazon.

Hope this helps!

Thomas

You are the man, thanks.

Mac'on

igiboi

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
We have a hackintosh here in the house and all that trouble for osx not to update and all.. well it was there and its running yet if I turn it on and decide to play games on it, i still run windows 7. lol.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I set up a Snow Leopard Hackintosh and had no problem at all with updates. I didn't look into updating to Lion or Mountain Lion, but Snow Leopard updates were no problem.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Once I went Hackintosh, I liked it so much that I bought my wife a MacBook Pro, my mother a MacBook, and my daughter has a Mac Mini. Finally, I got self a MacBook Air last month.

Hackintosh has been good business for Apple, at least at my home.

ridesdeepsnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Lake Tahoe, CA
Wow thanks for the link!

pretty simple....

Find a credible build thread on a machine you wish to replicate and follow instructions
Really not trying to be rude here but if you don;t have the common sense to be able to do that then maybe you should't waste your money.

This is the world of DIY and youtube and geek inspired forums after all

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Hackintosh isn't for everybody but if you have the time to tinker with your settings and build a machine it isn't all too bad. There should be an ivy bridge update for the recommended builds soon on tonymac so watch for that. Hackintosh are easier to build than before but just make sure you get the right parts and you are good to go. I'd also recommend you to check out the golden builds thread on tonymac to get the gist of what type of parts to get.
With Mountain Lion, there will be full support for ivy bridge cpus, thunderbolt, hd4000 graphics, and geforce 600 series graphics card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.