Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markelim

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
The picture speaks for itself. Any idea whats causing this. THis happens when dragging files from a window to anywhere such as the desktop or choosing the show all windows option from the dock...

Much help appreciated

imhqjxhv3

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I personally can't see any picture, but is it "ghosting" you are referring to?

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
The picture speaks for itself. Any idea whats causing this. THis happens when dragging files from a window to anywhere such as the desktop or choosing the show all windows option from the dock...

Much help appreciated

It kind helps if I can see the image! :) - All I could see was a blue square...
Sorry, but I don't know whats causing your problem, but here is the pic for anyone else who may be able to help!

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2012_07_10_at_9_45_00_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2012_07_10_at_9_45_00_PM.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,737

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Interesting that it's rendering everything else fine (desktop, dock, toolbars in PS) just not the document itself...

I've had no bother with CS5 on mine personally. (apart from it being pixely when doing 72dpi web work!)

markelim

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
What is apples policy on exchanging laptops with defects. I bought this about a month ago when it came out. Also it never noticed this till i actually installed CS5. Could the problem be there ?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What is apples policy on exchanging laptops with defects. I bought this about a month ago when it came out. Also it never noticed this till i actually installed CS5. Could the problem be there ?

Without apple care it is covered for a year. Being it to an apple store and they will assess it. With apple care you're good for 3 years.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Assuming other people have used CS5 successfully on the rMBP, it looks like you have some kind of graphics card issue. Perhaps the Intel one is fine, but the nVidia one has failed for some reason?

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Since the rest of the display looks okay it does appear to be a problem with Photoshop.

You could try fiddling with the performance settings in Photoshop. Especially try turning on/off the graphics processor setting. It might indicate a hardware problem with the graphics processor...or it could indicate a video driver problem.

May as well set Photoshop's memory setting to max while you're in there.

Oh, one more thing...if you haven't done it already, check if all of Photoshop's updates are installed. CS5 is kinda old so there's been a few.

Odds are it's something flakey with Adobe's software, but it's best to sort out any hardware problems early on.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

:apple:

dank414

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Ive seen this happen to a co-worker's display on the 2010 2.66 cMBP and the glitch would happen inside CS. As to what the cause is, I have no clue. I hope you take it back and get a new one.

Abhorred

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It looks like LG displays are cheap quality and very prone to defects...

How do you draw that conclusion, exactly? Graphical distortion such as the OP is presenting is virtually guaranteed to be the result of either a malfunction in the graphics processor or a glitchy graphics driver.

To the OP: To echo what others have said, contact Apple and bring them the photo. You're outside of the 14 day return/exchange window, but hopefully they'll sort you out with a better-functioning machine.

Last edited:

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Does a reboot cause it to stop?

There have been some reports of graphical glitches since the retina MBP shipped that will likely be addressed in a firmware update sooner or later. So returning it may not make any difference.

It's also been noted that changing your display resolution to something else and back is enough to reset the problem.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
How do you draw that conclusion, exactly? Graphical distortion such as the OP is presenting is virtually guaranteed to be the result of either a malfunction in the graphics processor or a glitchy graphics driver.

To the OP: To echo what others have said, contact Apple and bring them the photo. You're outside of the 14 day return/exchange window, but hopefully they'll sort you out with a better-functioning machine.

Not really a conclusion but an observation based on consumers' complains in this forum... :)

I wonder how many retinas have been returned since its release... I believe we will soonly see a lot of refurbished retinas available at the apple store, or maybe not since a defect in that machine requires to manufacture a new one...

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I wonder how many retinas have been returned since its release... I believe we will soonly see a lot of refurbished retinas available at the apple store, or maybe not since a defect in that machine requires to manufacture a new one...

Right, just like there's never any refurbished iPads :rolleyes:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Not really a conclusion but an observation based on consumers' complains in this forum... :)

LG manufactures virtually every IPS LCD panel today... so pretty much any high-end LCD will be an LG panel. They make good panels (though the antiglare coating they use is absolutely terrible)

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
LG manufactures virtually every IPS LCD panel today... so pretty much any high-end LCD will be an LG panel. They make good panels (though the antiglare coating they use is absolutely terrible)

It's not actually a coating. It's a sticker applied with water based adhesive to the polarizer. ;)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's not actually a coating. It's a sticker applied with water based adhesive to the polarizer. ;)

That can still fit under the definition of coating. It doesn't have to be sprayed on to be considered one.

What is your point anyway? The point is the antiglare they use these days sucks. Really bad speckle patterns and whatnot.

markelim

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Since the rest of the display looks okay it does appear to be a problem with Photoshop.

You could try fiddling with the performance settings in Photoshop. Especially try turning on/off the graphics processor setting. It might indicate a hardware problem with the graphics processor...or it could indicate a video driver problem.

May as well set Photoshop's memory setting to max while you're in there.

Oh, one more thing...if you haven't done it already, check if all of Photoshop's updates are installed. CS5 is kinda old so there's been a few.

Odds are it's something flakey with Adobe's software, but it's best to sort out any hardware problems early on.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

This has seem to have fixed my problem. Should i move on or should be concerned and take it down to an Apple store.

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
This has seem to have fixed my problem. Should i move on or should be concerned and take it down to an Apple store.

It's tempting to let it go as a glitch with an older version of Photoshop, but man oh man, you do want to make sure that new rMBP doesn't have any hardware problems.

I was really suspecting something was flakey with Photoshop CS5 on a new rMBP. However, I still have PS 5 and 5.1 on my rMBP. I fired them both up, and with OpenGL processing turned on, opened a bunch of images and Photoshop files. No problems.

I also searched the net for any reports of graphic glitches with CS5/rMBP combination. Nothing found.

I'd say start with the basics...

--Insure CS5 has all of the latest updates installed.

--Run the Apple Hardware Test (boot with "d" held down) using the extended tests. It'll take an hour or so to do.

--Use Disk Utility to repair the permissions on the drive.

--Download the trial version of Photoshop CS6 and see if it has the same problems.

If it persists take some screenshots of when it happens and take the machine in to Apple. Ideally you'll have something that is reproducible every time.

Even if they don't find anything, if the problem becomes worse later on, like say when it's out of warranty, you'll have a record of the problem existing early on.

Let me know how it goes.

markelim

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
fixed....took it to the Apple store. got a new one. apparently its something to do with the nvidia chips vs the intel.

thanks guys !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.