Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgonzales12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Just switched over to all Apple products, need some help please.

Purchased (2) Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt 6TB boxes.
Would like to daisy chain these and set them up as Raid 1. That way I'll have 6TB for storage and 6TB as mirrored.

From the factory, each Lacie box contains two 3TB hard drives configured as Raid 0.

I didn't have any success with Disk Utility, I'm sure it's my level of experience.

Questions:
- Will Disk Utility allow me to configure Raid 1 using each Lacie boxe configured as Raid 0? (This is how they come from the factory)
- Do I have to delete the factory configuration (Raid 0) and configure Raid 1 using all four drives? (Tried this, total storage calculated as 3TB)
- Do I configure each Lacie box as JOBD, then configure both JOBD as Raid 1? (Haven't tried this yet)

Please help!!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Hmm, I don't have two drives that I can test this with, but you should be able to take the factory RAID volume that was created on both machines and make another RAID volume that is setup as a mirrored RAID. Then you'd access this third RAID volume that is created. No harm in trying, though, especially if you don't have any data on the drives yet.

That will be a rocket-fast setup. Good work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.