Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muttley59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
London Heathrow
lo peeps ... first post for me :D

Am on holiday at the mo and the place I am staying in all I wanted to was to be able to play all my tv shows and movies stored on my mac book with apple tv2 on the tv in the property .

I thought this would be simple <<< wrong !!

to explain the setup I have .... Macbook pro with lion , appletv2 , ZTE MF 627 USB 3G dongle on 3 network , films on iTunes and Plex

So I am going to explain as best as I can

I have an ethernet cable from the macbook to the aptv2

The main problem I have is when the 3g connexion is running it automatically cuts off the wi fi and ethernet connexion

I can watch my iTunes content but this was only after tethering my mobile to
create a wireless network (this is not ideal because i only get 500 meg allowance on my mobile)

As long as i don't power down the aptv2 i can still watch the iTunes content but not the Plex content , the trouble here is if i want to use the usb modem while the wife is watching a film it automatically cuts off the aptv2 grrrrrrr

So bearing in mind my networking knowledge is not that great and I really don't know if anyone can help me with this problem.

I don't know if I am right in saying this but it would seem that the network provider doesn't want me to share the internet connexion which to me is crazy as i have paid for an amount of download 3gig on a pay as you go and all I want is for the aptv2 to see the internet so i can play the iTunes content and Plex content and surf the web << am I really asking to much here ??

Would love to be able to speak to the tech support but as there is no landline phone in the property and what makes it worse its a freephone number but using freephone numbers on my mobile is not free.

Hope I have explained this so peeps can understand and any help would be very gratefully received

Regards Dave :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.