Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_64_bit_shield.jpg

With Apple having seeded the golden master build of OS X Mountain Lion to developers earlier this week, the company has locked in which Macs will support the forthcoming version of the operating system. While the machine requirements have been known for some time, the seeding of the final public release is a good time to remind users which machines will support Mountain Lion.
Your Mac must be one of the following models:

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Ars Technica has more on Apple's decision, including discussion of why Apple has dropped support for some early 64-bit Macs that do support OS X Lion.
Apple declined to tell us the reasoning behind leaving some of these models out of potential Mountain Lion upgrades, but we suspected it was related to an updated graphics architecture that was designed to improve OS X's graphics subsystem going forward. Our own Andrew Cunningham suspected the issue was related to graphics drivers, since the GPUs not supported under Mountain Lion had drivers that were written before 64-bit support was common.

Information included with the first Mountain Lion GM now corroborates the connection to 32-bit graphics drivers as the culprit. While Mountain Lion is compatible with any Mac capable of running a 64-bit kernel, the kernel no longer supports loading 32-bit kernel extensions (KEXTs).
The report notes that some of the GPUs used in early 64-bit Macs were deprecated before 64-bit KEXTs were in common usage, and thus they were never upgraded from their original 32-bit KEXTs. With the affected machines now being a number of years old, Apple apparently decided that it was not worth investing the resources to upgrade those drivers to 64-bit in order to support OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops Support for Some Older 64-Bit Macs

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Looks like Mountain Lion is the end of the road for my Mid 2007 iMac! Hopefully some nice new ones released in time for 10.9 :D

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
The ARS report seems to miss that EFI64 is required for Mountain Lion. While a Mac might have a CPU capable of 64-bit, it still might be running EFI32 and therefore won't be supported. No EFI64 means no 64-bit kernel which means no Mountain Lion.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Whoah, bad news for me using a 3.0 2x dual core mac pro tower maybe.

Kinda pisses me off my mac pro may not get new osx, especially when there isn't a proper new mac pro. Apple ought not release osx that won't work on semi recent models. Pretty bad for customers. Could be an reason to upgrade... To a windows workstation

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
With the affected machines now being a number of years old, Apple apparently decided that it was not worth investing the resources to upgrade those drivers to 64-bit in order to support OS X Mountain Lion.

How much effort does it take to upgrade a kext/driver? I would guess less effort than working on "Game Center".

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
They dropped all models which do not support at least OpenGL 3.2 core profile. I think this is the main story here. Personally, I welcome this decision.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
I have 3 - 2007 mac pros at work. Not happy. Especialy as an iOS developer where apple will surely force me to run the latest OS X to run the latest version of xcode.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Good thing I upgraded from my early 2008 MacBook (plastic) to an early 15" MBP 2011 last summer. Don't want to miss out on Mountain Lion.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are 3+ years old.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The ARS report seems to miss that EFI64 is required for Mountain Lion. While a Mac might have a CPU capable of 64-bit, it still might be running EFI32 and therefore won't be supported. No EFI64 means no 64-bit kernel which means no Mountain Lion.

First Unibody Macbooks released in 2008 had EFI32 only and yet can still run Mountain Lion.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
very fair.

this is why im on the verge of jumping ship entirely to apple.

my notebook is a sony vaio and support has been weak.

have they invented two button mouses yet in the apple world? :p

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012

I am running my Mac Pro 2,1 on Mountain Lion DP4. I'll be upgrading it when it is paid for.

You CAN run it on a Mac Pro 2,1 and earlier.

It took me a little time but really it is quite simple once you know what you are doing. You can PM me if you need any help.

Here is how you do it on a Mac Pro

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
" macs last/supported longer than windozers lolz " whoops.

Sarcasam aside, its pretty typical of Apple to stop supporting computers pretty quickly. It helps force users to upgrade. Business model.

Hopefully 10.7 will be supported for awhile so older machine users can get more use out of their machines

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
How much effort does it take to upgrade a kext/driver? I would guess less effort than working on "Game Center".

Working on the low levels required for hardware access in a driver is where 32bit to 64 bit porting requires the most effort as often you're dealing with fixed width registries and can't simply "recompile" code into a 64 bit binary, you have to adjust types.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
very fair.

this is why im on the verge of jumping ship entirely to apple.

my notebook is a sony vaio and support has been weak.

have they invented two button mouses yet in the apple world? :p

No. But you still don't have much of a reason to right click on a Mac ;) So it's all good.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are 3+ years old.

I'm pretty certain a few years ago people used to say "5+ years", by 2015 are people going to be saying "People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are the last generation."

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
First Unibody Macbooks released in 2008 had EFI32 only and yet can still run Mountain Lion.

In that case, I guess it's boo ****** hoo for the unsupported. It's not like unsupported hardware will stop working when ML is released.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Not a big deal. They are dropping support for computers 4-5 years old.
I would love to see my old single core windows xp computer handle windows 8.

Edit: Guess my old computer could run it afterall. My bad

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.