Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evantoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Canada
Hey, currently I have an iMac on my home network (the only computer on the network). In the future I want to buy a MacBook and also connect this to the network. I have 2 external hard drives plugged in to my iMac. When I log in on my MacBook, I want to be able to access all of the files on my iMac and all of my external hard drives. Sort of like a school/work network, where you can log in on any computer and access all of your files. Would Lion Server be the answer to this?

Also, if Lion Server is the answer, is there a way to make my server available over the Internet? So that I could take my laptop away from home and still be able to log in. I have my own domain name if this is necessary. I understand that, if this is even possible, it will be difficult and time consuming.

Thank you!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Just to do file sharing, you can do that with the OS you already have loaded. To share over the internet, you probably want to set up a VPN. I think Lion Server has VPN software included, so you could do that, or you could use Team Viewer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.