Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
KimHansenDK
macrumors regular

MacBook Air 2012: Screen flicker when scrolling

I just got myself the brand new and maxed out MacBook Air 13" 2012. And damn this machine is a beast

But I have just noticed that when I scroll the text and vertical lines on the screen tend to flicker a little and it is driving me crazy. Is this normal?

If you do a google search and you try scrolling the vertical line just above the search results flicker when you scroll (try scrolling slowly) Also the text flickers a little. In Facebook you can see it on the comment/like part underneath a status (the icons).

Do you guys experience this? Or do I need to take it back??
KimHansenDK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2
jena55
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDK View Post
I just got myself the brand new and maxed out MacBook Air 13" 2012. And damn this machine is a beast

But I have just noticed that when I scroll the text and vertical lines on the screen tend to flicker a little and it is driving me crazy. Is this normal?

If you do a google search and you try scrolling the vertical line just above the search results flicker when you scroll (try scrolling slowly) Also the text flickers a little. In Facebook you can see it on the comment/like part underneath a status (the icons).

It is very subtle, but I have noticed it. Not enough to make me think something is really wrong or to take it back though. I figured it might have something to do with the screen brightness or something.
jena55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Nerio27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHansenDK View Post

I notice screen tearing when viewing pages with a lot of text, forum posts being the most common. From what I've read, this is a very common issue.
Nerio27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

This is normal on LCD displays.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
asting
macrumors 6502

I have noticed too on this screen. Strange, none of my other computers or screens have this problem...
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
RodPinto
macrumors regular

This doesn't happen with my 11 top of the line 2012 air....
I5 problem??? Low video memory
RodPinto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #7
asting
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodPinto View Post
This doesn't happen with my 11 top of the line 2012 air....
I5 problem??? Low video memory
Not likely. I have 8gb of ram, so more of it is dedicated as vram.
It's more probably an issue of eye sensitivity. When lcd monitors were becoming popular response time was the big topic, as some could notice ghosting at 15ms while for others it looked just fine. Perhaps this is like that (refresh rate is the same way).
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
MacBird
macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the web browser or all programs? If browser, you should see an improvement with Mountain Lion and Safari. Firefox scrolling does not look nearly as smooth.
MacBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #9
sviato
macrumors 68020

Just got a 2012 13" i5, 4GB MBA and I have the flicker problem. First 2 days of use and my eyes felt sore, I guess I'm getting used to it but my eyes do still feel a bit strained.

Would Apple do a replacement for this issue or are all laptops supposed to be like this? :S
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
krravi
macrumors 65816

Do we know if these happens on both the Samsung and LG panels or are they happening on one of these only?

LCD's flicker when scrolling due to their slow response times. But how bad is it? That's the issue.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air