Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Abe Froman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Easiest way to play a full album in itunes?

This may be the dumbest post in history, but is there an easier way to play a full album in itunes than having to make a separate playlist out of the album or having to check the box on every single track on the album? This seems slightly more complicated than it needs to be, but I can't figure out any other way to do it.
Abe Froman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:32 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
I generally just play the first song in the Library, then stop it when it's reached the end of the last song.

Other than playlist, I don't think there's an easy way to get it to stop after the album is finished.

actually more than not, I don't notice, and wind up listening to the next 3 albums in a row
rainman::|:| is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Applespider
macrumors 603
 
Applespider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
I just search for the album name in the Library and play it. Or you can 'opt click' on the arrow next to the name of the album and get taken to just that album listing in the Library.
__________________
Oops.... the cat killed the rabbit
Applespider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
...or just choose to navigate the Library using the Browse function and choose the album in question from the list...

As long as just one album is chosen iTunes will just play that (unless you choose another artist/album or a playlist.
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 04:16 PM   #5
Gee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
...or just choose to navigate the Library using the Browse function and choose the album in question from the list...

As long as just one album is chosen iTunes will just play that (unless you choose another artist/album or a playlist.
Exactly. Click the browse icon (top right, looks like an eye), and the genre/artist/album browser appears. Double click the album name. You can start typing the album name after clicking in the browser album list to quickly move to the album you want.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 04:36 PM   #6
fanbrain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. UT
I have every album (CD) in its own playlist. I don't like wading through thousands of sound just to find the one I want. Helps for me. I don't have thousands of CD's though...
__________________
Keeping Apple debt-free since 1983.
fanbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 05:50 PM   #7
HiRez
macrumors 601
 
HiRez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western US
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain
I have every album (CD) in its own playlist. I don't like wading through thousands of sound just to find the one I want. Helps for me. I don't have thousands of CD's though...
Why on earth would you need to do this? You do know about the Browse (eye) button, right?
HiRez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:10 PM   #8
taeclee99
macrumors 6502a
 
taeclee99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Anywhere but here
Hey Abe, aren't you the sausage king of chicago?
__________________
In the miry moment, at the beginning of the grave, an unmourned daisy...
Macbook Air 13-in. i7, iPhone 4s 32GB, iPad New 6G4B
taeclee99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:31 PM   #9
Frank Schuerman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
change arrow link behaviour and choose albums fast!

i find that this is the fastest way to get it my way

first of all i changed the arrow behaviour in itunes, you can search the command line on www.macosxhints.com

what this does is: switching the default button behaviour of the small arrows behind an artist or album.
unaltered when klicking the small arrows it takes you to the music store, altered it does the same thing as clicking the arrows while holding down the option key: automatically take you to browse 'mode'.
It opens up the browse pane and you only get the album of which you clicked the arrow.

beacause i switched the arrows to go to browse on click instead of 'option'-key + click on arrow it all becomes real fast.

behold: by cliking 1 arrow behind an album title, you seperate that album without fuz from your entire library.
Frank Schuerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:39 PM   #10
stevietheb
macrumors 6502a
 
stevietheb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Schuerman
i find that this is the fastest way to get it my way

first of all i changed the arrow behaviour in itunes, you can search the command line on www.macosxhints.com

what this does is: switching the default button behaviour of the small arrows behind an artist or album.
unaltered when klicking the small arrows it takes you to the music store, altered it does the same thing as clicking the arrows while holding down the option key: automatically take you to browse 'mode'.
It opens up the browse pane and you only get the album of which you clicked the arrow.

beacause i switched the arrows to go to browse on click instead of 'option'-key + click on arrow it all becomes real fast.

behold: by cliking 1 arrow behind an album title, you seperate that album without fuz from your entire library.
I must second this...the little arrows have been brought back for use in my iTunes. However, I often just search something like: "Dylan Highway 61" -- BOOM! There it is.
__________________
sbh*
17" iMac G5, 1.8 GHz, 2GB RAM
20" iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM
Black MacBook, 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM
stevietheb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:12 PM   #11
StokeLee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
Send a message via MSN to StokeLee Send a message via Skype™ to StokeLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Schuerman
i find that this is the fastest way to get it my way

first of all i changed the arrow behaviour in itunes, you can search the command line on www.macosxhints.com

what this does is: switching the default button behaviour of the small arrows behind an artist or album.
unaltered when klicking the small arrows it takes you to the music store, altered it does the same thing as clicking the arrows while holding down the option key: automatically take you to browse 'mode'.
It opens up the browse pane and you only get the album of which you clicked the arrow.

beacause i switched the arrows to go to browse on click instead of 'option'-key + click on arrow it all becomes real fast.

behold: by cliking 1 arrow behind an album title, you seperate that album without fuz from your entire library.

You type this in terminal to change it

defaults write com.apple.iTunes invertStoreLinks -bool YES

to change it back to the iTunes store change YES to NO

I looked it up,,, took me ages, hard to search for something when your not sure what its called
__________________
My Photos - Click Here > Home <
StokeLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:31 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
OK, I must be missing something. If I double-click a song to play it, iTunes stops playing after that one song. The only way I can get it to repeat a song or play through several is to make sure that they're all "checked." To play an album, I select the songs in the album, right-click and "Check Selection", then play. I don't know any other way to get it to play more than one song.

I also have a smart playlist called "checked" so I know what all I've checked to be played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman::|:| View Post
I generally just play the first song in the Library, then stop it when it's reached the end of the last song.
If I play the first song of an album, it stops after that song and won't play the rest of the album, unless all songs are checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
...or just choose to navigate the Library using the Browse function and choose the album in question from the list...
As long as just one album is chosen iTunes will just play that (unless you choose another artist/album or a playlist.
If I choose an album from the Browser and click Play, nothing happens unless I check all the songs in that album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Exactly. Click the browse icon (top right, looks like an eye)
I know how to click View > Show Browser (or Command-B), but I don't see any icon that looks like an eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain View Post
I have every album (CD) in its own playlist. I don't like wading through thousands of sound just to find the one I want. Helps for me. I don't have thousands of CD's though...
I've created smart playlists for different genres, but to do so would be very inefficient for over 1,500 albums.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:34 PM   #13
arkitect
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
2005 lives again!

Wow. You could almost have started your own new thread
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:34 PM   #14
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a
 
hobbbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
OK, I must be missing something. If I double-click a song to play it, iTunes stops playing after that one song. The only way I can get it to repeat a song or play through several is to make sure that they're all "checked." To play an album, I select the songs in the album, right-click and "Check Selection", then play. I don't know any other way to get it to play more than one song.

I also have a smart playlist called "checked" so I know what all I've checked to be played.

If I play the first song of an album, it stops after that song and won't play the rest of the album, unless all songs are checked.

If I choose an album from the Browser and click Play, nothing happens unless I check all the songs in that album.

I know how to click View > Show Browser (or Command-B), but I don't see any icon that looks like an eye.

I've created smart playlists for different genres, but to do so would be very inefficient for over 1,500 albums.
Why on earth aren't all your songs checked? They should always be checked.
__________________
If I'd asked my customers what they wanted they would've said a faster horse - Henry Ford
hobbbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:37 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbbz View Post
Why on earth aren't all your songs checked? They should always be checked.
Because if they're all checked, they'll all play! I don't want every song in my library to play, when I only want it to repeat one or two albums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
2005 lives again!
Wow. You could almost have started your own new thread
...except that my post is directly related to this thread's topic of playing a full album.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:40 PM   #16
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816
 
drlunanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Hmm, seems an iTunes 101 guide is needed. It's changed a bit in the past 3.5 years.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
Because if they're all checked, they'll all play! I don't want every song in my library to play, when I only want it to repeat one or two albums!

...except that my post is directly related to this thread's topic of playing a full album.
Various ways to do this:

You can just select those albums in the browser (for non-contiguous albums, use command-click).

Or create a playlist for the albums.

Either way it's wasting your time to have everything unchecked - do it the other way round if you need to.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Feb 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Merging, please use MULTIQUOTE and/or EDIT...
drlunanerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 01:00 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlunanerd View Post
Various ways to do this:
You can just select those albums in the browser (for non-contiguous albums, use command-click).
Or create a playlist for the albums.
Either way it's wasting your time to have everything unchecked - do it the other way round if you need to.
This isn't making sense. First, thanks for the condescending iTunes 101 comment, but I reviewed all of that before I ever used iTunes.

If I have everything in my library checked, iTunes won't stop playing after it reaches the end of an album, or repeat only that album. It keeps playing every song that's checked in my library. Creating a playlist for each album is ridiculous, unless a library is very small, and would offer no advantage to the method I'm using. If everything in the library is supposed to be checked, why have the option to check and uncheck items?

Right now, leaving everything unchecked, I can select an album and check the items, then start playing. While that album is playing, I can search, sort and edit tags in the rest of my library and can select more songs to add to the currently playing list, simply by checking the songs. If I hear a song and don't want it repeated, I simply uncheck it. This is much easier than creating playlists every time I want to play something.

If there's a more efficient method, I'm quite willing to learn it. So far, I haven't heard any suggestion that offers an improvement.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:29 PM   #18
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816
 
drlunanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
This isn't making sense. First, thanks for the condescending iTunes 101 comment, but I reviewed all of that before I ever used iTunes.
Not meant to be condescending (well, not much ). You were referring to UI elements that are longer present in iTunes 8 - the previous posts reference a 3.5 year old version of iTunes, whatever that was (4.1?).

If you go to View - Show Browser, you will get a list of albums on the far right. You can click on an album and then play it alone. Easy.

If you don't like certain tracks then by all means uncheck 'em, but unchecking your entire library is a unique way of managing your music. If it works for you then great, just doesn't seem that efficient to me and you miss out on some features of iTunes e.g. shuffle play, Party Shuffle etc.
drlunanerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:55 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlunanerd View Post
If you go to View - Show Browser, you will get a list of albums on the far right. You can click on an album and then play it alone. Easy.
OK, I highlighted my whole library and clicked "Check Selection". After waiting 4 minutes for it to complete checking them, I went to View > Show Browser and clicked on an album, then play. So far, so good.

But when it gets to the last song in the album, the only way it will not go to another song in the library outside the album is if I leave iTunes with that album highlighted. In other words, I can't go browse my library, edit tags, update artwork, etc. while the album is playing, because when I do, it plays other songs that are not in the album that are also checked.

Am I missing something?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
Am I missing something?
Use Party Shuffle and play the songs from there, then you can continue browsing, tagging and whatever with your library.

You can use mark one or more songs (like an album) and Right click -> Add to Party shuffle to add songs to the bottom of the list or Right click -> Play next in Party Shuffle to start playing the songs (if a song is already playing in Party Shuffle that will continue and the newly added song(s) will be played when that is finished.

Party Shuffle will also auto fill itself (from the Library or chosen playlist/playlist folder) if you don't "feed" it manually.
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:37 PM   #21
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
Use Party Shuffle and play the songs from there, then you can continue browsing, tagging and whatever with your library.

You can use mark one or more songs (like an album) and Right click -> Add to Party shuffle to add songs to the bottom of the list or Right click -> Play next in Party Shuffle to start playing the songs (if a song is already playing in Party Shuffle that will continue and the newly added song(s) will be played when that is finished.

Party Shuffle will also auto fill itself (from the Library or chosen playlist/playlist folder) if you don't "feed" it manually.
OK, I re-checked my whole library, then selected an album, right-clicked and chose "Add to Party Shuffle". As it was playing, I was browsing my library and searched for a different artist. When the Party Shuffle list ended, the music stopped. When I clicked Play again, instead of starting the Party Shuffle list again, it played the first song of the artist I had searched for.

It appears that leaving everything checked and selecting an album or playlist or Party Shuffle will only keep playing as long as you have that item selected. If you look up another selection, the music stops. This is one thing about Windows Media Player I liked. Once you add something to the "Currently Playing" list, it stayed there and you could do anything else you wanted without affecting playback.

So far, the checking/unchecking method I've been using is the only way I see to make iTunes keep playing one list while I look at other things.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:39 PM   #22
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Tab to search box,
Type in artist and album name in iTune's search box, and play.
Way faster than getting a CD or browsing by folders.
Takes 2 seconds for me, as typically a partial name is enough to find the exact album.

PS. At least some people are searching. LOL.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:43 PM   #23
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
OK, I re-checked my whole library, then selected an album, right-clicked and chose "Add to Party Shuffle". As it was playing, I was browsing my library and searched for a different artist. When the Party Shuffle list ended, the music stopped. When I clicked Play again, instead of starting the Party Shuffle list again, it played the first song of the artist I had searched for.

It appears that leaving everything checked and selecting an album or playlist or Party Shuffle will only keep playing as long as you have that item selected. If you look up another selection, the music stops. This is one thing about Windows Media Player I liked. Once you add something to the "Currently Playing" list, it stayed there and you could do anything else you wanted without affecting playback.

So far, the checking/unchecking method I've been using is the only way I see to make iTunes keep playing one list while I look at other things.
You need to play the song(s) from Party Shuffle. Either stay in PS and press play, or use the Play next in PS feature.

It doesn't help if you add the song(s) to PS but play them from your library or playlists.
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:56 PM   #24
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Tab to search box,
Type in artist and album name in iTune's search box, and play.
Way faster than getting a CD or browsing by folders.
Takes 2 seconds for me, as typically a partial name is enough to find the exact album.

PS. At least some people are searching. LOL.
Searching, finding and selecting albums or songs isn't a problem at all. It sounds like iTunes doesn't work quite like Windows Media Player in this respect. With WMP, once you have a "Now Playing" list populated, it will keep playing that list, regardless of any other searching or browsing you do. With WMP, if you select Album "A" and start playing, you can then search for Album "B" to edit tags, artwork, etc. and Album "A" will continue to play. iTunes will stop playing after one song if you search or browse to any selection that doesn't include Album "A".
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Bentron
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham
Click on Grid View (Next to the Cover Flow button) and make sure it's set on albums. This way you can see all album covers and they're all separate.
Bentron is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easiest way to migrate an iPhoto / Aperture album to another library spaceballl Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Dec 10, 2013 09:15 PM
Playing an Album on iTunes 11 by Play Count, Last Played etc... Scoobyh1 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Feb 1, 2013 12:56 PM
iTunes 11 -- Album from Playlist Doesn't Play in Track Order jamesmcnee Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Dec 4, 2012 02:36 PM
iTunes Plugin that shows full screen album covers? Doc69 iMac 1 Aug 18, 2012 06:11 PM
iTunes Plugin that shows full screen album covers? Doc69 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Aug 13, 2012 09:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC