Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JYork23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Connecticut
I read the "official" announcement that Mountain Lion will not support 32 bit extensions. Forgive me ignorance, but this is why I'm asking...does that mean the end of the line for Final Cut 7 if someone was to upgrade the OS? Final Cut X is not really accepted by the professional video community so I'm not looking to go that route. Also, the current version of Compressor in the App Store is 32 bit. Hmmm...

Am I confusing 32 bit extensions and 32 bit apps? Are they or are they not one and the same or something different? If they're different, can someone explain what an extension is?

PeterHutnick

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I read the "official" announcement that Mountain Lion will not support 32 bit extensions. Forgive me ignorance, but this is why I'm asking...does that mean the end of the line for Final Cut 7 if someone was to upgrade the OS? Final Cut X is not really accepted by the professional video community so I'm not looking to go that route. Also, the current version of Compressor in the App Store is 32 bit. Hmmm...

Am I confusing 32 bit extensions and 32 bit apps? Are they or are they not one and the same or something different? If they're different, can someone explain what an extension is?

Kernel extensions are, in short, drivers. So, some older 64 bit machines have video chips that only have 32 bit drivers available. Those machines can't be upgraded. This has no direct effect on user applications (though everyone seems to agree that this is the case).

Having said all of that, Apple has some nerve continuing to sell 32 bit apps!

Can you reply with a link to the announcement you're referencing? I haven't been able to find an Apple document that categorically states that 32 bit kexts are not supported in Mountain Lion.

JYork23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Connecticut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.