Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
JYork23
macrumors member

Mountain Lion announcement and Final Cut 7/Compressor

I read the "official" announcement that Mountain Lion will not support 32 bit extensions. Forgive me ignorance, but this is why I'm asking...does that mean the end of the line for Final Cut 7 if someone was to upgrade the OS? Final Cut X is not really accepted by the professional video community so I'm not looking to go that route. Also, the current version of Compressor in the App Store is 32 bit. Hmmm...

Am I confusing 32 bit extensions and 32 bit apps? Are they or are they not one and the same or something different? If they're different, can someone explain what an extension is?
JYork23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
PeterHutnick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYork23 View Post
I read the "official" announcement that Mountain Lion will not support 32 bit extensions. Forgive me ignorance, but this is why I'm asking...does that mean the end of the line for Final Cut 7 if someone was to upgrade the OS? Final Cut X is not really accepted by the professional video community so I'm not looking to go that route. Also, the current version of Compressor in the App Store is 32 bit. Hmmm...

Am I confusing 32 bit extensions and 32 bit apps? Are they or are they not one and the same or something different? If they're different, can someone explain what an extension is?
Kernel extensions are, in short, drivers. So, some older 64 bit machines have video chips that only have 32 bit drivers available. Those machines can't be upgraded. This has no direct effect on user applications (though everyone seems to agree that this is the case).

Having said all of that, Apple has some nerve continuing to sell 32 bit apps!

Can you reply with a link to the announcement you're referencing? I haven't been able to find an Apple document that categorically states that 32 bit kexts are not supported in Mountain Lion.
PeterHutnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
JYork23
macrumors member

Thanks for the explanation! As a former Windows person, I don't yet have all the Mac terms down.

I haven't seen where Apple has officially announced that 32-bit extensions will not be supported. I've read a lot of websites that do state it however. Here's one for example:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apple-r...-lion-updates/

Here's another:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07...at-good-night/
JYork23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store